I just can't get these down, partly because I've been using advanced instructions. Can anyone lay it out in simple, easy to follow terms?
Dickless.
practice, theyre easy when you hit the correct spots above the pickups, i guarantee thats why you cannot do them, you need to find the harmonic points above/around the pickups in order for them to ring out.
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
First, it's MUCH easier when using high gain. So make sure the gain is up and the distortion on. Now hold your pick between your thumb and index finger, but only let a tiny bit of the pick show. Pinch the pick so your thumb overlaps the top of the pick. Now make a "sweeping" motion when you strike the string so that the pick will hit it, but the tip of your thumb will immediately after touch the string, producing a "sqeal" or pinch harmonic. Just screw around with it and it will become easy. Also, you gotta hit the right spot on the guitar. The best place for mine is in between the humbuckers.
Last edited by drumguyonguitar at Jun 5, 2006,
the most basic way of explaining it is to slightly brush the string with your thumb as you pick a string
Quote by thesublime
genious, silverstringz

Quote by Invader Jim
I admire you, SiLvEr_StRiNgZ. I have a short, VERY short fuse and would have instantly killed nearly everyone in the room, but you, on the other hand, did good. Have a cookie and a gold star.
Remember that you have to pinch at the right spot on the string. The easiest spot is half way from where you're fretting the string and the bridge, the second easiest is one third the way, then one fourth, and so on. That means that if you're pinching an open string, you pinch right at the 12th fret for the half way mark, and just above the neck pickup for the 1/3 mark. The higher you fret the note, the closer toward the bridge you have to move your pinch. Hope that made sense.
It's impossible to teach. Just keep playing, and you'll stumble on it by accident someday. I figured it out when I got sloppy in a solo and a squeal came out. I said "cool" and did it again.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I just can't get these down, partly because I've been using advanced instructions. Can anyone lay it out in simple, easy to follow terms?

finish learning your chords,harmonics will come as a by-prouduct of being a good guitar player.
is a pinch harmonic the same as an artifical harmonic?
Have you ever taken a crap so big your pants fit better?- Ron White
I find that the instructions some of the other guys are giving you isnt all that great.
holding your pick differently between your thumb and finger makes you need to pause before you hit the pinch, which means its damn hard to keep the tempo going during a solo.

instead, hold the pick as you normally would, and when you go to hit the pinch turn your wrist. this is hard to explain but ill try my best. you need to turn your wrist ever so slightly so that your thumb is dead parallel to the strings, then lay the tip of your thumb onto the string. now, keeping your thumb there, pluck the string. dont pick it, PLUCK it. from behind it out. follwo through on the motion so that your thumb lifts as soon as you pluck and it will come out as a distinct squeal.

this is much harder to get the hang of but in the end it is much mroe effective as you can squeal like zakk does... mid riff.

also, the placement on the string effects the pitch and effectivness of the harmonic. start off closer to the neck and slowly move back, as the squeals are most distinct further back on the neck.

im still trying to figure out how to get a certain note out of the squeal though :P

good luck and keep practicin!

Sunburst ESP Viper-400 with EMG combo
Ibanez Talman Elec-Acoustic
1973 Denver Acoustic
Traynor Custom Valve 20
Classic Cry-Baby
Quote by drumguyonguitar
First, it's MUCH easier when using high gain. So make sure the gain is up and the distortion on. Now hold your pick between your thumb and index finger, but only let a tiny bit of the pick show. Pinch the pick so your thumb overlaps the top of the pick. Now make a "sweeping" motion when you strike the string so that the pick will hit it, but the tip of your thumb will immediately after touch the string, producing a "sqeal" or pinch harmonic. Just screw around with it and it will become easy. Also, you gotta hit the right spot on the guitar. The best place for mine is in between the humbuckers.

Try the very bottom of the neck pickup if you have humbuckers. Excellent squealage. It works every time.