Page 1 of 2
like the title says best tube amp around 1000 usd and i want it for classic rock and metal.. i already got a pedal so just make sure it can do classic rock and not just metal

thx!!
Quote by EVH_5150
stairway to heaven has a solo?!?!
Yeah JCM is good. I don't think the XXX would be suited for classic rock.
lol those were the 2 i was looking at! and i wasnt sure if teh peavey could do classic .. thx

but the jcm800 is a bit expensive ... 2800 but i bet its worth savin up longer for
Quote by EVH_5150
and im kind a lookin for sometin smaller than that. cuz i hear tube amps have to be cranked up loud to sound good and im not gonna be able to do that seein as i only play with a drummer and guitar once in a while.. mostly just want a practice amp... shoulda specified that
Quote by EVH_5150
A JCM900 maybe? or a DSL or TSL
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
not get the reissue JCM, get a real vintage one. about 800 for the head
what do you mean when you say metal?

what do you mean when you say classic rock?

what guitar do you have?

what pedal?

(I'm think 6505/6505+, but it depends on your answers)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thefretlord
and im kind a lookin for sometin smaller than that. cuz i hear tube amps have to be cranked up loud to sound good and im not gonna be able to do that seein as i only play with a drummer and guitar once in a while.. mostly just want a practice amp... shoulda specified that

If you aren't gigging at all, maybe you should save up your money until you are getting gigs. Your bedroom walls don't care if you have good tone.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
If you aren't gigging at all, maybe you should save up your money until you are getting gigs. Your bedroom walls don't care if you have good tone.

i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop.

If your amp (or whatever) sucks, it's not encouraging you to play. And if you're not encouraged to play, you won't practice. Which lowers your chance of getting into a band whenever (or if) the time comes around for an audition or whatever.

But yeah, if you're only playing at home, you might want to look into a lower wattage tube amp- a halfstack or peavey 5150 might be a bit of overkill.

*runs to hide engl halfstack*

only thing is, there aren't too many high gain low wattage amps- most of the lower wattage amps are more aimed at vintage tones...

It's up to you, really, threadstarter- answer the questions I asked a few posts ago, and then I (and all the other guys) will get back to you.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at the B-52 AT-100, i have the combo, and sounds good both at low and high volume, although its better at high... Also you can easily get classic rock to metal without a problem. I use it for practice and gigs, although its rather heavy, I usually have to have a friend help me carry it out of my house, its like 90lbs...
Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop.

Somebody should sig that .

I guess it just depends on how serious of a guitar player you are. If it really seems worth it to you, Mr. Threadstarter, then by all means, go for it.

You can always buy a cab now, get a low wattage tube head (Zvex Nano ) and save up for a nice big tube head for later.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
(a) Somebody should sig that .

(b) I guess it just depends on how serious of a guitar player you are. If it really seems worth it to you, Mr. Threadstarter, then by all means, go for it.

You can always buy a cab now, get a low wattage tube head (Zvex Nano ) and save up for a nice big tube head for later.

(a) I know just a pity you have that awesome utsapp one, which is just about the funniest guitar-related thing I've seen, anywhere, ever...

(b) agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Alex Hernandez
I have a vintage fender super twin reverb that does pretty good for me on classic rock

^Best advice^ If you don't need mega-gain, this and a good overdrive pedal will do most of what you wish to do.
Quote by Paradigm Shift
Look at the B-52 AT-100, i have the combo, and sounds good both at low and high volume, although its better at high... Also you can easily get classic rock to metal without a problem. I use it for practice and gigs, although its rather heavy, I usually have to have a friend help me carry it out of my house, its like 90lbs...

I agree.. i just purchased a B-52 AT-100 and it's amazing.. High performance at low cost.. Cleans are smoothe and deep, while the the distortion is incredible.. Since it has a Tri-Mode Rectifier you can easily go from classic rock to metal by turning a knob in the back.. Tube A, Tube AB, and Solid State.. I dont know how much the combo wieghs, but like he said it could be 90 lbs.. But the AT-100 head is only about 65 lbs.. haha.. it's not light, but it's not that heavy..

But for this thread, if you looking for a very good metal amp..Krank Krankenstien, it's about $1100.. The B-52 is based off the krankenstie and it only cost $750 including tax.. 699.99 with out..
Chase R. Wilson

Scecter Damien 6

Randall RH200 G2 200 Watt (practice)

B-52 AT-100 w/ Tri-Mode Rectifier

Custom cab w/ 4 12'' Eminence Texas Heat 16's

Korg Toneworks AX1500G

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
^I'm only gonna not flame you because you're emo and might kill yourself, but the Krank is a horrible, horrible amp, and the B52 is in NO WAY modeled after it. I believe the B52 was around first even.
Quote by Danno13
(a) *Cough*ENGLscreamer50combo*cough*

(b) Heh heh... Dave said "swoop".

(a) i think the screamer's over budget by a few hundred... seconded if he can stretch to it, though...

(b) fell swoop is an awesome term. I think shakespeare.

Of course, it's less cool if it's gangsta slang for " homosexual orgy" or something similar...

but anyway, i think the threadstarter needs to get back to us with a definition of "classic rock" and "metal". If "metal" means iron maiden or sabbath, that's a whole different ballgame to "metal" meaning killswitch engage...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
b.) I just like the sound of it, but I'm sure if we Urbandictionary.com'd it, we'd find it means something dirty and/or kinky.
no fell swoop, but there is this:

1. fell the fuck out

when yo shit gets mad overlaoded with alcahol or drugs that it causes you to pass out. also, if you're just strait tired from work.

"man, i was sippin my henney - next thing you know, i strait fell the fuck out... right on the road yo!"

awesome.

anyway, better get back on topic. Threadstarter: more info!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by FacingUsAll

And an audience actually will??
Just sayin'...
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by Wayward_Son
And an audience actually will??
Just sayin'...

I know much of what we debate here on UG is semantics because most of the people that listen to music only care what the vocals sound like.

Tone matters to some people out there, though .
Quote by utsapp89
alright so for metal its metallica.. not super metal and classic rock led zeppelin

i am serious about guitar

i at the moment have a yamaha but im gettin a esp ltd kh-602
Quote by EVH_5150
i got a tsl 60 that can just about everything except full on super distorted metal. you can probably find a combo for under 1000 on ebay. and also i dont think 60 watts is too loud. the tsl still sounds good when cranked halfway so its quiet enough for the bedroom guitarist, and it has enough power to do some gigging when fully cranked.
JAMONE
Quote by Danno13
^I'm only gonna not flame you because you're emo and might kill yourself, but the Krank is a horrible, horrible amp, and the B52 is in NO WAY modeled after it. I believe the B52 was around first even.

Ya.. Nice Flame.. Just because someone has emo in there name doesnt mean they are.. Lets take the name and re-word it.. Heres an easy one, Dragon Slayer, someone who kills dragons.. Duck Slayer, someone who kills ducks.. I know its kind of hard to comprehend this, but do try harder next time.. And you are wrong, the B-52 is based off the Krank Krankenstien and a Mesa Boogie Mark IV.. B-52 believe that you can have an amp with real professional hardware without paying an ass load of money.. Maybe you should research before you speak.. And also i played the Krankenstien and it was by far the most metal amp i ever played on.. This is my opinion, you have yours as well.. Thats why im not going to argue with you that you beleive it "sucks"..
Chase R. Wilson

Scecter Damien 6

Randall RH200 G2 200 Watt (practice)

B-52 AT-100 w/ Tri-Mode Rectifier

Custom cab w/ 4 12'' Eminence Texas Heat 16's

Korg Toneworks AX1500G

Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Quote by EmoSlayer666
Ya.. Nice Flame.. Just because someone has emo in there name doesnt mean they are.. Lets take the name and re-word it.. Heres an easy one, Dragon Slayer, someone who kills dragons.. Duck Slayer, someone who kills ducks.. I know its kind of hard to comprehend this, but do try harder next time.. And you are wrong, the B-52 is based off the Krank Krankenstien and a Mesa Boogie Mark IV.. B-52 believe that you can have an amp with real professional hardware without paying an ass load of money.. Maybe you should research before you speak.. And also i played the Krankenstien and it was by far the most metal amp i ever played on.. This is my opinion, you have yours as well.. Thats why im not going to argue with you that you beleive it "sucks"..

I'm really glad you can read. Since you can read so well, you noticed that I said I wasn't going to flame you, and didn't try to get all sarcastic on me. Oh wait.

And you are ridiculously wrong. The Krank Krankenstein was released in July 2005. The AT-100 user reviews on B52's website date back to March 2005. What can we conclude from this? The B52 was around BEFORE the Krank, and therefore CANNOT be modeled after it. This of course without mentioning that the two sound nothing alike. The Mesa Mark IV, of course, is vintage voiced, and if B52 really wanted to model after a Mark IV, they would have done more than just give it three channels.

But let's go with your reasoning. It's a tube amp, right? And a high gain one at that? I guess it must be modeled after Marshall JCM900s, ENGL Powerballs, Soldano SLO-100s, Peavey 5150s and Mesa Triple Rectifiers, too! Oh, and since it has a clean channel, it must be based on Vox AC15s, Fender Twin-Amps AND Dumble Overdrive Specials! I guess you're right. After all, all those amps have tubes, make sounds, and can be used with guitars!

As for most "metal" amp ever...

You listen to Slipknot, don't you.
if that question was for me which i dont believe it is.. i dont listen to slipknot
Quote by EVH_5150
try out a fender hot rod de ville i have one and it sounds greatfor most stuff might need a pedal for some metalica
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
i was lookin at that but i kinda lost all respect for fender amps with the ones that come in starter packs ... my friend had one.. i know thats just cuz they dont wana waste money and their more expensive amps are better but i think ill have a try at the deville.. do they have it at most guitar centers?

EDIT:
i think this could be the one for me.. ive kinda been lookin for one with 2 inputs cuz some of my friends have the crap fenders i was talkin bout and its just horrible to play with them ... if some more ppl say its good
Quote by EVH_5150
Last edited by thefretlord at Jun 7, 2006,
does anybody know if the fender hot rod deville is good enough for metallica with a good pedal
Quote by EVH_5150
^ i thought the HRD had plenty of gain ( i tried the hot rod deluxe, I think) on the overdrive channels, but the problem was, they sounded like ass, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a fender amp if you want metallica.

The fender amps are good at cleans, blues tones, and not too heavy classic rock. In my opinion.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how bout a good marshall? they do most of the different varieties of music good.. right?
Quote by EVH_5150
peavey 6505 crushes everything in its price range and then some.
Quote by Danno13
b.) I just like the sound of it, but I'm sure if we Urbandictionary.com'd it, we'd find it means something dirty and/or kinky.

hey oats,hows it goin brother.
used 5150 or 6505... will get you classic rock with the gain dimed on clean and a boost... fat hard rock with the crunch channel... and searing metal with the lead...
Founder of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join

Member #6 'I <3 mids' club. PM Roc8995.

My Name is: Tony
Page 1 of 2