i am very sorry but i just have to ask: I have been playing acoustic for 3 years and i have to know what do these mean:

| h hammer-on
| p pull-off
| ~ vibrato
| + harmonic
| x Mute note

this may seem like a dumb question (but it probally is) I jsut really need to know to play this song i like
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
http://www.guitarplayertv.com/

go to rock tricks and theres videos explaining every one of those
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
hammer on is when you play a note, say on the 7th fret, and you fret the 9th, causing the 7th fret note to ring shortly, then the 9th to ring out.

pull off is the same, except you start at the 9th, then go to 7th

vibarato is when you bend the string slightly over and over
thnx but wat is a harmonic and Mute note and wat is palm muting
Quote by TheAmaranth

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
damn
.....sorry, anyway onto topic:
hammer= push your left hand finger into the fretboard with the string just behind the fret to make it ring
pull-off= pluck the string with your left hand finger as you leave the fretboard to make it ring.
vibrato= after playing the note, continue to hold it and 'dig' your finger into the fretboard to shake the sound
mute= either play the note with your left hand fingers slightly off the string (fretboard), or place your right palm against the base of the bridge while playing
Last edited by antipop333 at Jun 5, 2006,
harmonic is when you place your finger very, very lightly over the fret you're playing on. this will create a bell sounding tone. dont push down to the fretboard, or even push down really, just rest your finger on the fret. it takes some time to find the exact spot on the fret to do it right, but you'll get it.

a mute not is when you push down on the string enough to the point that there is very little noise, but again, dont push down to the fretboard, just enough so that it mutes the strings.

Palm mutes are hard to explain. I'll try though. make a karate chop hand with your picking hand. then, lay it down right where the strings come out of the bridge. play a string, it will mute the noise enough to where it is quiet but you can still tell what note it is.

I hope that all helped.
Catcher In The Rye Is One Of The Best Books Ever Club

member #1 of the jim belushi club
isnt vibrato bending the string up and down?
hammer on is what you have your first finger on a string and then slam your middle, ring, or pinky onto another fret and you keep the finger there
pulloff is the same thing except you release after you hammer on
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
thnx very much learn somethin new all day i guess but again much
Quote by TheAmaranth