i have an old peavey delta blues tube amp. Unfortuntely theres no standby switch. Is there a long process to be gone through if i sent it to a shop to have a standby switch added and to take out the EL84 tubes that help absorb shock from not having a standby switch and add something a little different for sound.
if you want to use different tubes, i think they might have tube socket adapters, but I don't think they have them for 9-8pin

however, to install a standby switch is a pretty trivial matter,
just cut your lead (from the rectifier to the rest of the circuit) to the switch, and from the switch back to the rest of the circuit
NOt so much that i want to use different tubes. When i turn off the amplifier even after letting it sit for frew minutes after a jam, it still sputters a bit then pops. I want to add a standy by switch just so i can leave it on with out having to let the tubes stay on and get heated up. and to make turning it off safter for the tubes. The only reason i would change the tubes is because the delta blues is set up with a pair of EL84's, which are designed to take the shock better then toher tubes when the amp is shut off with out the standby switch on.

Also, a trivial matter. does that mean it is somewhat of an easy process? i had planned on taking it in to a shop because i dont feel like doing it myself. I would also like to be able to get a little more gain and bass punch out of the amp. any suggestions on good tubes. My tubes are rattley and old and i might as well replace all of them if i give it to a shop.
Also what determines the wattage an amp puts out. COuld you go from a 30 watt tube to a 50w tube..if so by changing what..Im new to amp mod's and id like to re build the entire amp as a summer project.
The output tubes (your el84's) would essentially determine the output wattage. And by trivial matter, I mean't any amp-tech place should be able to install a standby switch in an amp that doesn't have a standby switch.

You could increase output wattage, I'm not sure how you'd need to alter the circuit, if any, I could look it up for you if you want, but you'd definitely need to add output tubes.
Quote by CrazyAxePlaya
NOt so much that i want to use different tubes. When i turn off the amplifier even after letting it sit for frew minutes after a jam, it still sputters a bit then pops. I want to add a standy by switch just so i can leave it on with out having to let the tubes stay on and get heated up. and to make turning it off safter for the tubes.

When you flip an amp on standby the tubes are still on, however the preamp is turned off so there is no signal running thru the amp. So even with a standby switch you wont be saving your tubes any...
No i know i wont be saving my tubes any life.. i miss wrote what i was trying to say. I just hate having the amp fully on the entire time and would like to add a standby switch for when i switch guitars or just letting the amp sit for awhile at a time. i have to carefully take out the cable from the amp without making a huge pop and then switch and put it back in. It just takes away time from live gigs and stuff. I just want it more conveniant.

greenbox..that would be great if you could look that up for me man.