okay, here's the thing: I can't seem to make up my mind. In one moment, im thinking of buying one guitar, in the next, i've completely changed my mind and want another one. Lol. I need a backup guitar. Badly. My current gear is in the sig.

So, what i've been thinking of getting, is either an american standard strat, or an ibanez SZ520QM. Both totally different guitars, i know.

The reason im really hesitant about the ibanez, is coz it sounds very much the same as my epiphone, and i wanted a guitar capable of delivering a different kind of sound from my epiphone. So i thought about the strat. But now im unsure again.

The strat would cost me 1,330 dollars, while the ibanez is only 750 + new pups = 1,000 dollars. So, what to buy? Or should i try out something different entirely?

My range excludes any gibson short of a les paul studio. And the studio is at the very top at my range (1,660). Im thinking of upgrading to a studio premium plus or standard sometime in the future, though, so i don't want to be owning a studio then. I've also thought about a gibson SG standard, but im a bit unsure about those.

I play all kinds of rock, grunge, blues and a little metal (Not much!).

A big thanks to everyone answering
i just stick with epiphones but id request a fender telecaster
they are pretty pimp guitars
Whatever you want. I would go with the ibanez because its 600 dollars cheaper, but strats are nice guitars....

Pickups are 250 bucks? you can get a sd or dimarzio humbucker for like 50 bucks..
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Ibanez is a metal guitar and you dont play much so id definetly go with the strat but id keep looking there usually not that expensive (try ebay)
^ lol, ibanez is not a metal guitar.

Its a guitar thats good for metal, and ANY guitar is good for any genre with the right amp and pickups.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
hey bro u can find a used american strat for at least $600 in real good condition. I bought a used 62 strat reissue for $900 and it looks like its never been played and my friend bought a american standard strat for $550 i believe and only had one little scratch on the back and that was it. so u can save some money buyin used stuff.
Contrary to what ClassicAxe says, I actually agree that Ibanez is more metal oriented. If you are in the market for a more bluesy/classic rock guitar than I would suggest a Fender Telecaster, as it is a bit easier to pick up and play than the Strat. Just my opinion.
Quote by ClassicAxe
Whatever you want. I would go with the ibanez because its 600 dollars cheaper, but strats are nice guitars....

Pickups are 250 bucks? you can get a sd or dimarzio humbucker for like 50 bucks..

Dimarzio's also pick-up all of your playing nuances, including mistakes, so unless your pretty damn clean, I wouldn't recommend them.
Out of those two, I would take the SZ.
Allright. Thanks everyone. I guess i'll just have to try a telecaster, a stratocaster and the sz to see which one i like the sound of better and the feel
Go to a music shop, play a loooooad of guitars, and decide what you like best about each one, the one you like most, buy.
Try an SG too, they're nice.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^Yeah, the problem is i only have smaller music shops in my area They're all pretty lousy, and the only american fender they have is a telecaster And no SGs, not even epiphones or even another kind of crappy copy
^That sucks, maybe you could go to some not-so-local music shops with bigger selections?
And yea, try the Tele, they're nice.
Don't be afraid to care"

^Yeah, there's one store in our neighbour city, and its got SGs, telecasters and strats, but its pretty expensive getting there

60 dollars each way with the boat going there
WHAT???, that's stupidly expensive, for that price I'd rather swim. *hint hint*
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by taper_fra_nord
^Yeah, there's one store in our neighbour city, and its got SGs, telecasters and strats, but its pretty expensive getting there

60 dollars each way with the boat going there

WHere do you live!?!?!? Up in the arctic or something? because dog sledding to the nearest icebreak, that charges 60bucks would be a good deal if need to get through icebergs, frozen water, and alot of pac ice... and then dog sled to the nearest igloo that sells guitars!!!!!
and the prices would be expensive to go to your nearest igloo with guitars... it must cost ton just getting them there...
Quote by zeppelin68
WHere do you live!?!?!? Up in the arctic or something? because dog sledding to the nearest icebreak, that charges 60bucks would be a good deal if need to get through icebergs, frozen water, and alot of pac ice... and then dog sled to the nearest igloo that sells guitars!!!!!
and the prices would be expensive to go to your nearest igloo with guitars... it must cost ton just getting them there...

No, but i live pretty godamm close. Northern parts of norway to be presise. The trip takes 3 hours, and its about 300 miles away from here.
^Ouch, but I still say you should swim
And no, boats are for pussies.
Don't be afraid to care"