so, i've been in swim for 4 years running, and my coach is an awesome guy. after all this time i've decided he deserves decidedly more than a simple gift-card for my going away present, so i have decided to build him a guitar.

his preferred body style is a strat (since he already has an SG), and i'll be painting it cream (my first solid-color guitar!), and i shall be doing all of the woodworking, but coach plans to buy all of the parts himself.

my setup will include my custom diamondstock, maple neck, maple fingerboard, basswood body, and a universal pickup rout.

for the moment, this is all discussion, but after i finish the bass, it'll be time to launch into construction here.

any suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by twelvestringtex at Jun 5, 2006,
Swimmingpool rounting has tonal disadvantages. I suggest consulting him about pickup configurations (unless he said he wants it routed that way).
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
Aw that's sweet. I hereby annoint you with The Steph Betsarkis Cutie Of Year Award.
Until somone out-cutes you.

Swimming pool isn't neccesarily that bad. SRV's guitar was swimming pool'd.
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
thanks!!!!!

i'm thinking the swimming pool is one of those preference things. something that makes very little difference in the end, but something nonetheless that people will wage war over.

kinda like fingerboard woods, and neck-joints.
^ Maybe. It's also less work just route it normally. Unless you plan on switching out pickguards every so often, there's really no point to it, anyway.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
true, but i really discovered it was usefull when i swapped out my SSS for an HH on my imitation strat. saved a whole lot of work.

and i'm a bit of a fan of the hard way when you get right down to it.
<--that goes out to anyone who likes difficulty in moderation.

for the start he's just going to get some rather inexpensive pickups which may mean settling for singles, but later on he will probalby wish to upgrade, and that would mean buckers (he's partial to 'em and so am i).
haha, swimming pool route, and he's a swim coach where did you get your pickguard from for that iitation strat? my lateset project is fairly similar, i wanna shove some gold p90 imitations in there.
It would be a crime NOT to swimming pool rout(e?) it
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
lol, yeah swimmingpool rout.. ironic eh?

so i'm slow, at least i'm faster than Calum and his double-neck! (no offense man, but wow... its taking awhile. quality stuff though!!!). i like a good finished product!

and the pickguard didn't actually fit, i had to tweak it considerably, but i belive i ordered it off either wdmusic.com or stewmac.com, but i've discovered cheaper places since.
So is anything happening...?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
well, soon here (after my next pay-check) i'll be ordering the template, and equally soon (asap) i'll be flying out to Clarke's Lumber Co to purchase my body-wood, neck wood, and a few pieces of wood for my bass's cavity covers.

after that the bass'll be ready for sanding down and a final clear coat. i'll start work on this build while the bass's lacquer is drying.
Quote by twelvestringtex
soon as i get something to take pics of, i'll whip out my huge 7.1Megapixel Cannon.

*hides*

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by twelvestringtex
lol, yeah swimmingpool rout.. ironic eh?

so i'm slow, at least i'm faster than Calum and his double-neck! (no offense man, but wow... its taking awhile. quality stuff though!!!). i like a good finished product!

and the pickguard didn't actually fit, i had to tweak it considerably, but i belive i ordered it off either wdmusic.com or stewmac.com, but i've discovered cheaper places since.

you must tell me where these cheap places are!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I, too, am looking forward to this build and can't wait for pics (from that 7.1 megapixel beast) and design concepts, as in, design concepts that will justify the swimming pool/universal PU routing. Why not make it HSH?

Couple of questions:

1. Why are those templates so expensive? Aren't those available for DL somewhere so you can make them yourself?
2. Where can you get PGs for cheap? I'm at the point of buying a regular PG and cutting them to fit with a FR, which isn't widely available.
3. Why Basswood and not Alder or Ash?

At least post a Kisekae of what you're envisioning.
you really need to use less abvs.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Ippon
1. Why are those templates so expensive? Aren't those available for DL somewhere so you can make them yourself?

I'm wondering that too, it says like 59$ a template
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
eddiehimself:
the two cheapest places i know of currently:
www.guitarfetish.com
www.guitarpartsusa.com

Ippon
A) swimming pool rout is to give coach more options to play with, i'm only doing the woodworking, he'll be doing everything else. so with the swimmingpool rout, he can throw whatever he wants into this.

1) they'e laser cut on 1/4" masonite (aka Hardboard). so while i could probably download them, or take a picture, or trace someone else's guitar, it wouldn't be as precise, and i'd still have to play around with things to make sure they fit. with this i can take a drumsander on my drill press and move straight up to my line to be right where it needs to go. mostly its just the precision. there are a whole lot of ways to do this, but i want it done quick, and these templates are, IMO, the best way to increase speed without a loss of quality.

2) hmm, not sure about cheap pickguards... whats your definition of cheap? $$amounts would be nice

3)Basswood was the least expensive of the three, Ash is heavy, but i may change my mind and use Alder once i get out to the wood store

hehe, i picked up the acronyms!!!!

and for the kisake... hand me a link and i'll put one up, i never can remember what the site is.
Quote by twelvestringtex

Thanks for your response. Wanted to know where those cheaper prices are.

Kisekae
Quote by thesumoftwo
you can remove the spare bits by dragging them to the bottom right corner BTW

dude thanx
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff