Page 1 of 2
Im between these two amps right now, and do you think?

I want low, bassy, heavy sounds. Dimmu, KsE, AILD type sounds.

I really want to feel the thump from it.

What do you think?

Also, how much of a volume difference would there be between a Single and a Duel rectifier?
Mesas are known for thier low end...
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
From what I've seen and heard, bands like AILD and KsE use mesas, but bands like dimmu and other black/death bands use 5150s because it tends to have a darker sound , and I can assure you my 5150 combo has plenty of low-end. Basdically, it all depends whether or not you are willing to shell out another $1000 for a clean channel.
The 5150 with a chorus pedal or some 'verb is a sufficient clean channel.
Quote by Teleprompters
the 5150 has more low end, its very bassy and good for you, get it now before xxGenocide98xx has to come in and kill you

Heh, i mite actually buy his

For a cab, what do you recommend...Avatar with v30s?
^ yeah v30s or Greenbacks

And there would be 3dBs of volume difference between a Single and Dual Recto (remember, 1dB is the quietest you can get practically). So you wont even be able to really hear a change. Its a matter of headroom. Plus the Duals and Triples with three channels are a lot more versitile..with a lot more options and whatnot.

You DEFINATLY have to try each before you make your decision though man. Cuz theyre completely different amps. And theyre in the top of their field for what they do and what theyre meant for.
well i play like dimmu type of stuff and im trying to get my hands on a 5150 combo

just because the dual recto s outta price range but if they made a dual recto combo thats the same price as the 5150 then id still want the 5150....
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE

You DEFINATLY have to try each before you make your decision though man. Cuz theyre completely different amps. And theyre in the top of their field for what they do and what theyre meant for.

There is no way for me to try them without driving many many MANY miles, thats the downside of living in rual Iowa...

For like a KsE type of sound, what one do you recommend?
KsE use -
framus dragon heads into recto 4x12's. mids boosted, with a maxon OD9 as an OD.
peavey 6505's with a slight scoop.

dimmu use ENGL

AILD probably use mesas.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
KsE use -
framus dragon heads into recto 4x12's. mids boosted, with a maxon OD9 as an OD.
peavey 6505's with a slight scoop.

dimmu use ENGL

AILD probably use mesas.

So, what do you recommend, noob?

BTW, as you can see i got unbanned because im leet and wasnt spamming.

probably a 5150. volume issue, the peavey will sound better at lower volumes. they'll be about on par when cranked. peavey has more pre-amp gain than the mesa.

it's also preference though.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

what one will i feed teh bass from more?

i need to feel my palm mutes, and my xxx wont do it
Actually, derek, I think the Dual Recto will sound better at lower volumes. Although there is a 20 watt power difference, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Dual Recto will sound better. Just my 2 cents.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
strange. my XXX tears my head off. in a good way.

the mesa will probably have more bass, the 5150 will probably be tighter.

bass can also really be attributed to the cab as well. i was playing a carvin mts through a marshal 1960a and it didn't have much bass. switched over to a recto 2x12 and i could feel the bass punching my chest.

edit: ambulence, recto's are hella loud. even the single, which is 50 watts, was louder than the 100 watt mts i played. and not only that, recto's, like marshalls, rely on a lot of push from the power amp section, where as peavey amps can get the job done in the pre amp, and when you crank the power amp it just gives it that something extra.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
strange. my XXX tears my head off. in a good way.

the mesa will probably have more bass, the 5150 will probably be tighter.

bass can also really be attributed to the cab as well. i was playing a carvin mts through a marshal 1960a and it didn't have much bass. switched over to a recto 2x12 and i could feel the bass punching my chest.

odd...maybe ill have to shell out the bucks for a mesa cab?

5150--->Avatar 4x12 with v30s was my initial idea
if it's closed back.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
if it's closed back.

yeah, would it work to build a ported box and but a HT sub in there, and run it with the 4x12?
IMO, Marshall cabs are weak. Over-rated and over-priced for poor construction and so-so tone. The only good Marshall cab in my opinion is the 1960AV Definitely try to get a Mesa cab, or if you can find one on the cheap, get an Orange cab. They're amazing cabs and probably some of the best I've ever heard.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
i would say a mesa standard...then load it with greenbacks
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
If you're buying a cab I reccomend one with V30s that isnt oversized... Mesa or Marshall traditional.

You could also get a 5150 cab, which sound great

Or a Genz Benz G-Flex (They're monsterous.)

Carvin Legacy (like a better version of a mesa recto cab but cheaper)
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Jun 6, 2006,
+1 for the legacy and genz benz.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

id like to keep the cab price down...its so hard to decide..i need to get rid of this damn XXX
legacy cabs run fairly cheap. the 2x12 is $360
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have a 5150 with a Avatar cab with V30s in it it sounds amazing but im thinking about getting an avatar cab with G12T75s as they have a bit more scooped mids
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
yea i heard avatar isnt that great anymore. the only thing u paying for is teh speakers, and their actual cabs are garbage
Id like a 4x12 but it would be nice to have it under 450 bucks...and the legacy would be 580

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
^ Sell both and get a marshall cab with GT12-75s, **** avatar.

the 75s better then v30s?
used?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

hey derek why do you think the Marshall 1960a is better than the avatar
i do?

EDIT: lol that was brad (genocide)
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Syn Harvest
hey derek why do you think the Marshall 1960a is better than the avatar

Because I have an avatar cab sitting in my basement with the angled baffle board pushed thru into the back? Because its made out of garbage wood? Because it just plain sucks?

Gah. I hate it. the only reason i bought it was the speakers, anyway. har. v30s ftw.

And as far as v30s v gt12-75s i've never tried the 5150 with gt12-75s before. Also, a marshall 4x12 is cheaper with the GT12-75s opposed to the v30s.

I'd get the straight cab, too. I don't like the angled ones for some reason. lol
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Because I have an avatar cab sitting in my basement with the angled baffle board pushed thru into the back? Because its made out of garbage wood? Because it just plain sucks?

Gah. I hate it. the only reason i bought it was the speakers, anyway. har. v30s ftw.

And as far as v30s v gt12-75s i've never tried the 5150 with gt12-75s before. Also, a marshall 4x12 is cheaper with the GT12-75s opposed to the v30s.

I'd get the straight cab, too. I don't like the angled ones for some reason. lol

whats the model name with the 75s for a marshal cab?

is there anyway you could try them out with your 5150?
thx genocide ill look into a 1960b i prefer straight cabs too.

ok the difference between marshall cabs are

Marshall 1960a - Angled Cab loaded with G12T75s
Marshall 1960b - Straight Cab Loaded with G12T75s
Marshall 1960av - Angled Cab loaded with Vintage 30s
Marshall 1960bv - Straight Cab loaded with Vintage 30s
Well... in my spare time I play stuff like your mentioning, KsE etc. I didn't play through a 5150 but played through a dual rec with a standard 4X12 cab... and uh... I bought it (USED!!). It's all worth it, the sound is flippin' amazing and I wouldn't second guess anything. I tell ya... it's all about preference. Or you could end it all by pluggin into what I just mentioned... listen to me and my bias azz... sheeesh...
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
I was reading the last page..and there was a question about low end or something...

Well IMO the 5150s have a lot of low-mids while the Dual Rectos have a lot of low lows...if that makes sense.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
I was reading the last page..and there was a question about low end or something...

Well IMO the 5150s have a lot of low-mids while the Dual Rectos have a lot of low lows...if that makes sense.

So you feel the recto more, but the 5150 is darker?
Page 1 of 2