My God, who in the world came up with this devil chord?! Any tips on how to hold this properly? I think you're supposed to get your index-finger perpendicular to the neck, but mine seems to always jut up diagonally no matter how hard I try.
Just practice and build up strength, then its ez as pie.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
1- bottom e string index
1- b-string
2- g-string(haha) middle
3- d string pinky
3- a string ring
1- low e index

like that at the first fret
pull your thumb down lower on the neck and youll achieve better leverage.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Wait til ya hit Bm --- F will look like a cakewalk...

I haven't been playing very long and a friend who's been playing 40+ years asked me how my practice was going and I told him there were a lot of F's coming out of my room but they were not chords.

He replied "That's the vocal track".
plain F chord isn't too hard, just takes some practice.
Barre F chord is easy. really easy compared to the plain F
Quote by guitarpunk21

F Major was a lot easier after I learned to roll my finger slightly on its side and keep it very close to the fret. I hit it most of the time now unless I'm going faster than my hands are ready for.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Try barring farther up the neck until you get good at it.

-SD

yep try that thats basically how your gonna hit it. just gotta keep practicing until your fingers get the shape and then deal with the pain of holding it for a very long time
Quote by outlawgal
Wait til ya hit Bm --- F will look like a cakewalk...

I learnt Bm before F......

I guess thats why I've never had much trouble with barre chords.

But threadstarter, just take SD's advice.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I figure it'll mainly just take a lot of practice to get it down, but I just want to make sure I'm practicing the right way.

What's the reason for barring farther up the neck? How does that make it easier? And is it ok to be rolling my index finger slightly to the side, or is that a bad habit to develop?

Also, is the "proper" position for the thumb to still be directly behind the neck? I googled some pics of people holding the F-chord, and it seems like a lot of them have their thumbs hooked over the neck... I'm assuming I shouldn't practice it this way.
Quote by duncang
I learnt Bm before F......

I guess thats why I've never had much trouble with barre chords.

But threadstarter, just take SD's advice.

I know the Bm chord -- my problem with it is making the transition into it from another chord, particularly A or Am - basically the same problem a lot of folks have with F. For some reason I don't have a major issue with F but Bm gives me fits getting a smooth change.
Globetro you seem to be going down the right path.
Sad to say chords get worse, like try this harmonic chord

E-----
B-15-
G-10-
D-14-
A-10-
E-----

Bit of a stretch
Quote by guitarpunk21

Plain F? What in the world are you talking about? "Plain F" is not an acceptable name for a voicing.

-SD
^I think he means playing F in the first position without a barre - XX3211 or 003211. It's basically the top end of a barred F without the low E string held down at the first fret and the A string held down at the third fret. I was originally taught F that way to start decades ago.
Last edited by gmsje at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by gmsje
^I think he means playing F in the first position without a barre - XX3211 or 003211. It's basically the top end of a barred F without the low E and A strings held down at the first fret. I was originally taught F that way to start decades ago.

Whoa whoa whoa, hold on... you mean, this actually isn't the real F-chord?! So the real F-chord is harder than this? XX3211 is the one that I was just taught, and I already find it challenging.
^Yes, XX3211 is a real F chord. You only need three notes to make a chord, and XX3211 has four notes, so it is a "real" chord. The above discussion was about a barred F - 133211, and someone mentioned a "plain" F, which set SilentDeftone off because he is rightly a stickler for terminology, so I was just reponding to that. You are being taught a form of an F chord. Sorry if I confused you.

P.S. - I edited my previous post because I incorrectly said a barred F had the low E and A strings held down at the first fret, but the A string is held down at the third fret for a barred F. Sorry about that too.

P.P.S. - I now think that a barred F is easier to play than XX3211, but that wasn't the case decades ago. It's all relative to how much time you put in I think. At some point XX3211 will be easy for you. You may then move on to a barred F and that will be difficult until you are used to it. Different strokes for different folks, especially at different times in one's instrument education.
Last edited by gmsje at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by gmsje
^I think he means playing F in the first position without a barre - XX3211 or 003211. It's basically the top end of a barred F without the low E string held down at the first fret and the A string held down at the third fret. I was originally taught F that way to start decades ago.

003211 isn't F, it's F/E or Fmaj7 in its 3rd inversion.

-SD
good sweeping apeggio
Dimebag 1966-2004 RIP a true legend

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Dumbest thread ever...when shouldn't you get shit-faced drunk?

Quote by Dirk Gently

When I turn on the TV, I see nothing but black people.[/IMG]

Quote by ckellingc
I jerked off in Wyoming if that counts
12,000 feet ftw!!

Quote by gsr2k6
. Oh, Jesus hates you.