I've seen too many people being given Les pauls and Soloists jacksons after around 4 months of playing, I became better than my school guitar tutor with a fender squier, yet all these novices are given a guitar for every chord they learn.
not only that but not every new guitar player is a kid/teenager, i'm certainly not

it's better to start with a good guitar than crap
Quote by AutoLife
I've seen too many people being given Les pauls and Soloists jacksons after around 4 months of playing, I became better than my school guitar tutor with a fender squier, yet all these novices are given a guitar for every chord they learn.

I know an emo kid with a Gibson SG and a Fender 70's strat. And she can only play Green Day songs.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
Quote by Kaervek
I know an emo kid with a Gibson SG and a Fender 70's strat. And she can only play Green Day songs.

that bitch

i wish i had anything remotely expensive...
i can play the **** out of hendrix himself but i only have an epiphone les paul studio and a roland mini cube...

(i was kidding about being able to play the **** out of jimi )
i couldnt play the **** out of an asshole... but i still want a new guitar.
I disagree with people being "given" guitars, but i approve of having decent gear, however long or short they've been playing for...I saved up and bought myself an american series tele after about 6 months of playing
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
He's not bad but I'm not bad either, I learnt quickly, The things that got me well known in my school was in the second year, I was told to ad lib on the G'n'R Sweet child solos but instead I showed my guitar tutor me learning the whole thing perfect by ear in five minutes, I showed my drummer me figuring out, by ear, the whole of the metallica 'one' solo(s) when I was thirteen. I learnt Trivium Gunshot to the head of trepidation in a day by ear perfect.
And Yes I know very well I'm being a smug **** about it.
^ I don't believe him tbh...but then, i know a guy who will figure out any song you name (that he's heard of) from memory on piano or guitar in maybe a minute - he sorta starts playing and instinctively know what should come next, so he doesn't really figure it out in a minute, he just does it as he's going along...but it's impressive as **** to see
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
DON'T GET LESSONS they slow you down self teaching is the way to go about it, I didn't even stay in lessons for long but i did stay in the guitar club a bit longer but that sucked too.
Quote by AutoLife
DON'T GET LESSONS they slow you down self teaching is the way to go about it, I didn't even stay in lessons for long but i did stay in the guitar club a bit longer but that sucked too.

No lessons? Well maybe, if you have a natural habit of doing everything correctly.
Learn from books and how other good musicians, that you enjoy listening to play,
Going to lessons means sticking to a schedule which will either slow you down or rush you over things, sure, maybe some people are not the smartest of people or not the most determined of people to be self taught, but it's a quick and better way of learning,
I'm not saying you shouldn't read tab books and musical theory, but learn the guitar yourself and it will become more natural to you, kind of a part of you.
Maybe if thier parents had an expensive guitar already it was easier just to give them the guitar than buy a new crappy one....

On the other hand, if they show off with it when they can't play....now THAT'S annoying.
This whole thread is repetitive. Some guys always comes on ug and claims he can play all this stuff or do this and that after a month or whatever. I honestly don't believe you and you're just one in a long line of people who have come on here trying to boost ego over the net. I'm sure there's a chance you're as good as you say after 2 years, but it's slimmer than an anorexic girl with a tape worm. You could basically have an mp3 on the net within an hour easily if you wanted to get one on there.
but as thin as an anorexic girl with a tape worm, HIV, and Ebola? Now THAT's thin.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by AutoLife
He's not bad but I'm not bad either, I learnt quickly, The things that got me well known in my school was in the second year, I was told to ad lib on the G'n'R Sweet child solos but instead I showed my guitar tutor me learning the whole thing perfect by ear in five minutes, I showed my drummer me figuring out, by ear, the whole of the metallica 'one' solo(s) when I was thirteen. I learnt Trivium Gunshot to the head of trepidation in a day by ear perfect.

Lol prove it, get a recording please
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
my friend can learn hard songs in a day by ear, but then he has perfect pitch. and he's a good guitarist.

unfortunately he's started to be a wanky shredder and im getting pissed off about that.
Quote by AutoLife

This coming from the guy who can't remember what guitar companies are good . It's great you say you can play guitar so well, but no one really cares .
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
This thread rules.

*Reported*

Have a nice day!

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.