Ok I am trying to learn tapping. But so far it sounds like a cat on a radiator. someone please help. I can post some sound clips if it helps anyone tell me what the hell Im doing wrong.
cut your fingernails. that is the best advice i can give.

also, use the meaty part of your finger and tap hard. remember, like pick says, it essentially a hammer-on.

also, learn the song "midnight" by joe satch....and/or the intro to "hot for teacher" van halen.

happy rockin
you've gotta kinda pull off with the finger you're tapping with. It should sound like a trill done at double the speed
^^^ try what he said. or, this. when you tap, dont tap random notes. you tap out chords. look at the notes that make up a chord. for example, if you tap A C and E, you get A minor, because those are the notes that make up A minor,
Quote by mydadisjewish

also, use the meaty part of your finger and tap hard. remember, like pick says, it essentially a hammer-on.

also, learn the song "midnight" by joe satch....and/or the intro to "hot for teacher" van halen.

happy rockin

hey... youre the father to my sig

oh... well threadstarter... go watch steal your video...
or you could learn how to do it yourself. its how i did it. it took me a couple of hours though.
Quote by CraigKing
link didnt work?

If you looked, the link would be on the same page anyway: http://mhritz1986.dmusic.com/
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Did you even practice this or did you just assume you could tap. There's absolutely no consistency to the notes. It sounds like you're just doing the slurs as it suits you. Go back to the very beginning by starting at a very slow tempo. Use a metronome and make sure the notes are evenly spaced. When you can do this cleanly, up the tempo...
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
OK, dont worry about this thread. I deleted the sound clip from dmusic.com, since Im not good enough by "some" peoples standards. I am JUST LEARNING how to tap. I dont know where I should tap each note on what fret and whatever. So i am just giving up on this.
Well I wouldn't go that far, I did give my advice.

Well sure it's gonna sound like ass if you tap on random frets. Start by learning some easy tapping parts like Thunderstruck or One. Start off slow and make sure it's coming out clean when you're playing it.
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
YEah definetly practice tapping chords first and then move one to songs i.e thunderstruck, eruption, one, hot for techer, Mr. Crowley a tad bit advanced, but practice practice practice
Tapping isnt as hard as it seems to be, when i first learned tapping, around 7 months ago, it took me 30 minytes to learn One by Metallica (the tapping part). Start off slowly with one solid pattern:

e|--12--5--8--12--5--8--12--5--8--|

Hold the five with your index finger, 
Tap the 12, pull off with your finger to 5, 
then hammer on with your left ring finger 
(or pinky) to 8 and repeat with tapping the 12 etc.

And keep doing that, youll get it eventually.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Quote by hckychsdude
YEah definetly practice tapping chords first and then move one to songs i.e thunderstruck, eruption, one, hot for techer, Mr. Crowley a tad bit advanced, but practice practice practice

I don't believe Mr Crowley has tapping in it.
I'd agree with One being an easy one to start off with.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Last edited by Jakeylee111 at Jun 7, 2006,
i know what you mean, its probably just your right hand fingers arn't strong anuf
or your guitar doesnt have a high sensetivity ( i know i cant spell)
my best advice to you, try instead of tapping with your finger... tap with your pick
just hit the fret with the pick.. it should be better

and just hitting random notes wont sound good... try tapping chords, like the others said
or atleast parts from scales..
Tapping at first seems incredibly hard, and I for one thought that as well. But really, you arent moving your fingers that fast. Its just that because you are pulling off with a second finger(for simple tapping)as well as your left, you increase the amounts of notes played in a beat, making it faster.

The essence of tapping is your right hand doing higher notes on the string. You want to still hold your pick, but move it out of the way. I tapp using either my index or middle, and I sue the tip of my fingers rather than the nails. Some people use a pick to tap.

Tapping, I think, does not require a lot of practise to accomplish, but after that its a slow process of perfecting harder stuff. An example of "hard stuff" is Satriani's "Satch Boogie" where you have alot of different fast time values and lower string tapping, which is rather harder as the strings are thicker. Eruption though, is much simpler and easier, as its all on the high B string and you just move up the string keeping the same note length all the while.

Also what you also need to learn for tapping is your knowledge of your fretboard. If you dont do this you wont be able to find notes higher up quickly.

And that, is all I have to offer.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by mydadisjewish

happy rockin

Learn midnight? Bit pro for someone who's just learnin to tap no?
I found it hard anyway.
start slow, to reiterate what was said above try tapping out a chord slowly (once you can do it slowly you can do it at any speed)..... like the one example posted. make sure you have the hottest pickups selected (usually the bridge, but its to ones preferece as once you can do it right,pickup selection doesnt matter so much) also much like soloing you cant just hit random notes and expect it to sound good (er you can but dont try yet and even then there's theory behind it) also you dont HAVE to make chords with it but the basis is a good starting point. good luck and DONT QUIT, quitters don't play a killer guitar....
Make up your own stuff. Play minor triads really fast in a tap-hammer-on pattern.

Hellbent for leather by Judas Priest is probably the easiest tap solo ever. Great for a beginner.
Think of it, not as "tapping", but as learning hammer-ons again--this time, with your right hand. Just changing how you look at this will help. Well, it did for me anyway.

As always, work your way up from a slow tempo and practice. Make sure your nails aren't hitting the fretboard to. Use the meat-like tip part of your finger also. That's pretty much all I can explain. The rest is up to how you want to learn/do it.

And why'd you delete the sound clip? People were just trying to help you.