I'm gonna be getting my new IBanez guitar within a month my dad says. and Im REALLY in to metallica and I realize that guitaring is prolly gonna be freakin hard. i checked out some of the tabs for metallica and i got no clue what im readin here. I was jus wondering how long do you guys think will It approximately take me to learn songs such as Sad But True or Through the Never ?

and can some of u guys even play those songs yet? they seem a bit hard.

I can see myself learning through sound of ear but i barely even get this wole tab thing.

which way would you consider yourself better/faster learning these songs?
well if you never learned/played guitar before this would be real hard to start off with. well being how good i am now with guitar and reading song im guessing Sad But True is a fast song. i dont really know metallica. but if you like that kinda music do some easy stuff
and btw for the song Through the Never that seems fast to and you need to know how to palm mute(you can find a lesson on UG). and for a noobie just starting off when you start palm muting your hand hurts because you keep your wrist in one position not moving.
Just keep playing, you'll get frustrated but keep at it. You should fully learn a bar at a time, once you know the bars it won't seem so complicated. Don't jump into the entire song.

A Ibanez guitar, eh? Good start. What model?
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Yeah, what Ibanez ya getting?

But yeah, for a beginner those 'Tallica songs will be difficult, but I guess if you keep at it and learn it bit by bit then it won't be such a challenge.
ESP H-300 (EMG81/85)
Ibanez RG570
Ashton VP30
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CE-5
Boss DS-2
Behringer EQ-700
Member #12 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
Mr T of the Avatar A-Team.
Just have fun with simple, easy songs, and with 'Tallica, you have some very simple and some very complex songs. Sad But True probably goes under easy, but only just. But leave some time before you start any Metallica. Except possibily Nothing Else Matters, as that is very easy.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
im actually getting a really cool one. its the X model. its really tight if you see it in person. its way better than the pictures online.

but would I be better off learning songs by sound of ear or by tabs? because im looking at tabs and got no freakin clue what it is that im looking at. but i can see myself listening to a song bit by bit and picking it little by little.

what do you guys think?
^Tabs. If you are getting lessons, then your teacher should teach you how to read them soon. If not, there should be a lesson on UG somewhere.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
oh and on Sad But True, withing 21 secs of the song, when the drummer makes it go completely silent but then starts again, thats the part that stumped me. how you supposed to play guitar like that? seems a bit fast to me, well more complicated then fast because i have great finger speed. trust me on that one.
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
oh and on Sad But True, withing 21 secs of the song, when the drummer makes it go completely silent but then starts again, thats the part that stumped me. how you supposed to play guitar like that? seems a bit fast to me, well more complicated then fast because i have great finger speed. trust me on that one.

Oh, that part that goes DUM, DUMDUM DANA DANA DANA? It's actually pretty easy.

But, man, my advice to you would be to start with easy songs. Get some lessons, and practice alot. You'll gradually get good enough to start playing Metallica. They're pretty hard, actually. But "Sad But True" is a great song to aim for.

Good luck, mate. Keep us posted on how it goes.
thx. i know a couple of easy songs actually. I just gotta get used to the whole tab usage thing, i saw a lesson on this site that taught me some ( i really cant afford real lessons my dad says )

so im basicly basing all this to practicing all by myself and help from u guys. im just happy I got to a good msg board.