I dont know much about guitar internals, so pardon my ignorance. If i put p90 pickups in my crap ibanez, would it sound like a gibons sg? And what about those guitar kits. Are they worth the money if you buy the electronics you want?
i dont think P90s fit in all guitars, you need to a different kind, I think its P100's?NO IDEA

But no, beacuse of the different shape of the ibanez compared to the SG and different wood, and most SG's use gibson humbuckers
No, it won't sound like an SG.

but... for digging P-90's!
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Moved to GB+C because it involves guitar kits.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
if you're talking about kits like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Saga-HT-10-Guitar-Builder-Hobby-Luthier-Kit-P-Style_W0QQitemZ7420657717QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/T-STYLE-Build-Your-Own-SAGA-GUITAR-KIT-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ7420273465QQihZ016QQcategoryZ47067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i wouldn't mind buying one of those for $150 or $100 if i wanted to build a guitar.

The only thing I'd get on top of that are new tuners, new pickups, new strings... and I can't think of anythign else. It might not be that great of a guitar, but it'd still be fun building one.
Last edited by greenbox at Jun 6, 2006,
ok...no P-90s/aka soapbars only fit a rare few routings (ibanez not being one of them). and ive never heard of a P100....it could exist, ive just never heard of it,

you wont be able to get your guitar to sound like a gibson just because its not, completely different wood, shape, settup, etc.

you could however go the route of some virtual PAF humbuckers (go to www.dimarzio.com and look under the vintage pickup section). that would ger you close

what kind of pup layout does the guitar have currently
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"