Someone once told me you pay alot extra for the name when you buy a gibson. Are there alternative guitars to gibson les paul that sound just as good?
washburn idol series. wi64 and higher will do. i hear that agiles are suppose to be great for the price: check them out at www.rondomusic.net
the downfall of UG...........

Quote by obey_yourmaster
Who the heck is Ronnie James Dio? I vote Bruce
!

Tokai Love rock model(it looks just like a gibson LP headstock and all), even the epiphones are starting to be made a lot better now.
"Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart."-Led Zeppelin
there's PRS guitars that are amazing and sound very much like LPs
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Yeah man, check out the Tokai Love Rock series, or the Agile copies. There's also Gibson's Les Paul Studio and Epiphone's Elitist line.
If you use Ebay(.com) look up Edwards Les Paul and theres a company called Katana guitars selling a load of these. They're owned by ESP and therefore complete copies of the gibsons and all made in japan so no loss of quality. Plus they all come with full on Seymour Duncans or EMGS.

Check it out my friend...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=edwards+les+paul&category0=

there.
Thanks for reading
Washburn customs are made in Korea, too. What's your point?

So do you want the sound, or the look?
Quote by Smoke64
Someone once told me you pay alot extra for the name when you buy a gibson. Are there alternative guitars to gibson les paul that sound just as good?

You could go for an epiphone and switch the pups and wiring, or possibly an agile. There are alot of good guitars that aren't gibson that sound good. Korean and chinese guitars aren't that bad anymore. If you buy one that is good wood and switch the pups, wiring and pots theres not much difference except for the name.
I just want the sound, don't care about the look. From what i read from people's reviews, agiles have really bad interior milling, and gibson electronics don't fit that well. Alot of people also seem to get them in bad shape and need to get a tune up. Apparently rondon doesnt inspect them before they ship em to you. I guess if washburns are made in Korea too, Tokai and washburn must be made at a better factory cuz the cost more.
ibanez SZ series with a pup change. good thick mohogany body. mohogany neck. maple cap on a couple of them.

EPI's have really upped their quality lately.

ESP ec series would be killer too.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
PRS singlecut.... wowsah! You know what though.... I've always loved the way the ESP LTD EC-1000 in black cherry... nd that's for a decent price. Check ebay. WeRd
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
There are no alternatives to Gibson Les Paul unless it's the Studio model. The Studio is really bad and not worth the price, but I found that the Classic is a truly amazing guitar and I had the money for a custom made.

ESP LTD -1000 series is nothing compared to Gibson Les Paul. ESP Eclipse is something, but not the same quality. But still really nice.
bleh, gibson hadn't really impressed me much with the LPs. every classic i've every played licked nut sack.

only some of the standards i liked, maybe 1 outa 5.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Alternatives that will sound very close will be Epiphone Elitist Les Pauls. They sound incredibly close to Gibsons-probably because they're made of the same stuff.

Also, with the Washburn Idol series, you aren't going to get a true Les Paul sound. The Idol series guitars are much closer to SG's in feel and sound. They don't have as much depth as a nice Les Paul. They are great guitars though. If you want to hear a high end one (PI-90), listen to the album "Crimson" by Alkaline Trio. Matt Skiba uses a Custom Washburn Pilsen Idol. I've also never been disappointed with my WI14, even though it's really cheap.

I suggest that you go and try out some Washburn Idols and DEFINETLY the Epi Elitist Les Pauls. The Epi Elitists will sound just like a Gibson. I've heard that their pickups are the same as burstbuckers, just with a different name. I'm not sure how true that is though.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
look at epiphone. the difference with epiphone is that it is made outside of the US, but it is still usually hand made. the wood MIGHT be different, and a few things will be the same, like the height and width of some certain things. its my opinion that epiphone is great, but if you have money gibson is great, and your right you pay LOTS for the gibson name. its just like marshall and sometimes custom fenders. gibson is a brand name, just like marshall, but theyre are great if not even better things you can get instead.
I've heard from plenty of people that Agiles are pretty good. It seems a lot of the bad reviews are coming from here because every other forum I go to there isnt as much bashing of them.
Quote by Ignite
Tokai.

I have a MIJ tokai les paul, cost me £400.

well better in terms of sound, finished (quilted top), and playability

than my mates gibson les paul studio which cost him £600
Quote by Gibson06
epi les paul maybe?

Go Yankees.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ive got an LP custom.. trust me, nothing compares. if youre looking for something along those lines, you'd be better off to just save up the money and get a gibson.
Quote by thepagesaretorn
there's PRS guitars that are amazing and sound very much like LPs

IMO the PRS's sound much better than most LP's

if its a low budget, the SE custom or SE standard will easily beat out an epi lp or anything else put up to it.

but thats just my opinion

and if not, then get a nice PRS. although you alos pay a bit for that name, but its worth it
Gear:
PRS Custom SE
Shit Strat
line6 spider II 112 (worst choice of my life)
Squier 10 watt (sounds better than the spider)
Digitech rp200
Rocktron Silver Dragon

Quote by FretboardToAsh
he's right, and he plays prs so that's proof.
Last edited by ISuk@Guitar at Jun 6, 2006,
Agile makes awesome guitars for the price....
their "Les Paul"...fantastic; i'm extremely happy with it
rondomusic.net

check out the UG reviews of them for details
Imagine if you were a drummer, and you accidentally picked up two magic wands instead of sticks. There you are, keeping the beat, the next thing you know, your bass player turns into a can of soup.
Im telling you the LTD EC400AT used for $399 blows away a $400 Epi, pups dont need swap either if you can get around the gold top finish.^^
ya but it doesnt have a maple top so it may sound like a thicker SG^, any guitar for that price wont get the true Les Paul tone, save up for an Elitist or studio, people treat studios like they arent even LP's, they still have the maple top (unfigured), mahogany back and neck and i dont find the 50's rounded necks uncomfortable, Epi Elitists are great too
Quote by Xenn99
Go Yankees.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yankees have won more world series than there have been superbowls.

yankees and astros ftw.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^Cubs are from chicago. So is deep dish pizza. Coincidence? I think not. Cubs = win.

please return to the topic before danno makes even more of a fool out of himself.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565