What do you all think?
I'm referring to the humbuckers that are the size of a single coil, for example Hot Rails.

I want to play everything BUT metal/punk/emo/crap.. but I do like Steve Vai, classic rock, I donno ya know just good stuff that's not too distorted or heavy.

I like the neck PU on my MIM Strat but rarely use the bridge PU so I figure, since I'll be getting an American Strat someday I might as well make this one a bit different
I prefer seymour duncan hot rail, but if you want, get a jb(single coil sized)
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Why not just get an HSS pickguard and put a full sized humbucker in it instead, the guitar has the space routed out already...And then you can get a decent brand like BareKnuckles or Swinesheads instead of those shoddy seymour duncans
id sig you but i have no room lol. so ill just bow down to your username

deg0ey
Member of UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
ah ok then...well from what i've been told, the cool rails are the way to go...They're better than the hots for what you wanna play

deg0ey
Does it still sound like a humbucker?
I'm really wanting the humbucker qualitys, not the hum-canceling/"bucking"
more sustain, more output

not into distortion though
Quote by amazingdm

then theres no point then... get a normal single coil... it should handle your styles just fine
Quote by amazingdm

bolded
Right, but more sustain and output doesn't really matter if you're not into distortion. The DiMarzio HS-3 might work in your application. It's got increased output over a single coil, it's hum cancelling, but it retains a bit of the sweetness you'd lose with Hot Rails or a Chopper. It's the p/u Yngwie uses in the bridge of his Strats. And it looks like a regular Strat pickup.
Hi, I'm Peter
well i just wasn't clear my bad/i oversimplified.. i'm into like overdrive and distortion but nothing like metal/punk rock
...How can you even compare metal and emo....

But yea, +2 to the HS-3
~ My Gear ~

Gibson Les Paul Studio in Alpine White with EMG 81/60
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall DSL401
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Boss Super Overdrive SD-1
Boss Noise Suppressor NS-2
Digitech RP80
Samson Wireless
Fender Champions Series 30
Well, no single coil-sized humbucker is going to give you ridiculous amounts of gain unless you go with EMGs. So if you want to play mostly heavy classic rock, shred, anything where cleans or bluesy sounds aren't an issue, then look at the Hot Rails, DiMarzio Chopper, JB Jr., DiMarzio Fast Track 1 & 2. If you want something that'll back off nicely, look at the Duncan Lil '59 or Cool Rails, or the DiMarzio HS-3, YJM, HS-2, Virtual Vintage series. I have personal experience with the Chopper and the HS-3. Both are good pickups. You can hear clips of the Chopper in my dmusic link VVVVVVVVV Just note that it's in the middle position of a H-S-H Strat and I had it wired incorrectly (wrong polarity) so it sounds a little thin. It will sound much punchier and brighter in the bridge position.
Hi, I'm Peter
How about a single-coil sized humbucker for grunge or something heavier? I was thinking hot rails, but I am going to need some sort of cleans. Sorry to completely make this about me.
Gear
Left-Handed Schecter C-1 Stealth
Left-Handed Fender Standard Strat

EHX Little Big Muff
Boss DS-2
EHX PolyChorus

Orange Rocker 30 Head

Next Purchases:
I have a hot rails in my duosonic and it is just ok. I like it when I like it...and other times it is just too indistinct in its sound for my taste. Billy Joe Armstrong used one through most of his career...so if that is the sound you are looking for...it'll deliver.

Otherwise, you might consider a Fender hot vintage noiseless...or something...though you suggest it really isn't the hum cancel that you care about. I am really not convinced that a humbucker of that size will ever reproduce the sound of a full-size model. But, the hot rails isn't a bad second-best.

Something you might consider is wiring a hot rails in and doing so out-of-phase...as is the case with my duosonic...the out-of-phase position then adds to your options. It is tinny and sharp, yet warm and still has life to it.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Last edited by lieutfunaki at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by lieutfunaki
I have a hot rails in my duosonic and it is just ok. I like it when I like it...and other times it is just too indistinct in its sound for my taste. Billy Joe Armstrong used one through most of his career...so if that is the sound you are looking for...it'll deliver.

Otherwise, you might consider a Fender hot vintage noiseless...or something...though you suggest it really isn't the hum cancel that you care about. I am really not convinced that a humbucker of that size will ever reproduce the sound of a full-size model. But, the hot rails isn't a bad second-best.

Something you might consider is wiring a hot rails in and doing so out-of-phase...as is the case with my duosonic...the out-of-phase position then adds to your options. It is tinny and sharp, yet warm and still has life to it.

it's not the hum canceling I want, just the higher output/sustain

I think I"m just gonna go with a full humbucker though like a Dimarzio Evolution
Well, I still reccommend bareknuckle pickups...If you don't want the hum canceling, then they have some amazing single coil pickups with the output and sustain of a humbucker...The "Sinner" for example is a single coil with 15.65K DC resistance - that's MORE output than the DiMarzio evolution you're looking at...You shouldn't think that you can only get high output from humbuckers...The "Trilogy" is another example of a high output single coil

Seriously, give them a look...£59 ($110) for a single coil, or £165 ($307) for a set of 3 single coils - They're pricey, but worth the money

EDIT: forgot the link - http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

deg0ey
Since I'm a good 6 months away from installing anything I'm just trying to create a multitude of threads/lines of thought/discussions so I have a complete overview of what is and what isn't etc..
this stuff is hard though.. so many decisions
^ well yeah, but if you have 6 months - you have time to save for the BK's...And they're single coils so you don't need the expense of changing your pickguard, tone pots and switches etc

Look in the forum, there's a whole section for soundclips - find something you like and save for it Or give Tim, the guy that winds them (by hand) a PM and ask what he would suggest for your circumstances, you won't be disappointed

deg0ey
just to add. i like hot rails. they sound like really hot singles.

and the dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues pickup, is stacked (runs silent), is high output, with a warm tone.

no single sized rail or stacked single (two singles piled on top of each other) are going to sound exactly like a full sized humbucker, because they lack the spacing.
but with the right pedals and amp u can get really close.

just to note, u get much more of a tone change when u upgrade ur amp.
not sure what ur using now. but its worth mentioning.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011