Page 1 of 3
Has anybody seen or made a lap steel with a crazy paint job? All I can seem to find is boring one-colour or flaked metal finishes. I want to do a frankenstrat paint job on the lap steel I am building
Also, has anybody heard Pure Tone pickups? They are ridiculously cheap, and if they are as good as they say they are, I'll be one happy chappy. My Redback arrives on Friday!!!
I think a psychadelic or evh paintjob on a lap steel would be reallly cool. I wish i had thought of that. as for puretone pickups... wow, they are rediculously cheap. I've only heard of them, and they seem like they're decent, i guess you'll just see when you get them!
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.

I made a new fretboard today, you can see the one I have now has a dent in it.
I got my pickup, haven't been able to test it yet. Once I get the fretboard made, I'll mark out the bridge position, and everything should be sweet
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Looks very good,very good job indeed.
And you want to make a EVH lap steel? now thats original.
And about the pickup,why wont you try a Telecaster pickup?
I was thinking of having a Tele neck pickup, but I just decided against it No particular reason why. If I had the room, I would put it along with the humbucker, but there's just not enough room. I'll be selling this when I'm finished, any offers
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I dont play lap steel,but I think peaple would like to buy and EVH lap steal guitar.
But put a Tele pickup in the bridge,it would sound damn good.
Aha. It's tempting...very tempting lol.
I think I'll just stick with the EVH stripes so far. I have chrome hardware. Any suggestions for my stripe/base colour?
On another note, what type of wood do you think I made it out of? It was the bottom of a window sill I found downstairs, Dad said it's been there for over 20 years. Somebody suggested mahogany?
looks cool n e further a long? sometimes its hard 2 find the time or the inspiration eh?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I've got a fretboard with inlays thats been stained, the bridge posts drilled and ready to be put into place and my next job is cutting out the control cavity. I'm having a bit of trouble finding room for the pots, I'm thinking I might have to buy mini pots. I want the tone and volume on either side of the output jack right on the end of the guitar.
Bumble Bee!

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I like it! Do you know what type my wood is Algee?
algee is that bridge NON-trem, man NON trem r hard 2 get hold of. Personally i have never used the trem on any of my guitars, I can usually get enough trem from my fretting fingers. This is picking over chords, not plectrum & note bending , as Garry Moore et al does. Or if ya want real trem (where it came from in guitar) hold it out by the neck & shake it (AC/DC style) Coo00O00ooL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It's a hardtail bridge, I've found plenty of them on the net The main problem with replacing a trem bridge with a non-trem is you have to fill the cavity left from the trem.
EDIT: Oh, I just relooked and it's a trem bridge with the arm removed. I wonder why I didn't see the arm hole before....
Last edited by the_random_hero at Sep 12, 2006,
I FINALLY got around to finishing off my fretboard and I think it looks fairly nice. For some reason, it looks like the surface isn't flat and the inlays/fret aren't level. No idea what happened there...

I've hit another problem. My bridge post holes are slightly too far apart. I tried filling them but after a week the titebond STILL hadn't set hard. I drilled the titebond out and used a dowel with a piece of sandpaper to enlargen the hole and it seemed to work. The problem now is that the post holes are too big. I'm thinking of wrapping something around the bottom of the posts to make them a bit bigger and maybe some glue? Any idea's?
I'd fill the holes with a dowel and redrill.

Looks good!
I want to get round to making a a guitar for slide playing maybe a weissenborn or something like cole clarks lap steels.
Filling with dowel! Why didn't I think of that? Lap steels are pretty easy (yeah, I know I've made a lot of mistakes) and the good thing is the design is pretty much up to you.
hey the fretboard looks gr8, yeah if ya havent filled ya holes ya might try using some of the original timber 4 ya plugs & glue em in with clear glue with the same sawdust in it , makes it match really well. especially if ya can match the way the grain runs
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Grain isn't too important as I'm going to paint it eventually. Check out the piece of Oregon I got today! I posted a pic of it in another thread.
If I can get the hardwood, this project might get moved back a spot, or until I get a lot more spare time.
RAndom r.e. your pots & the lack of space u have , there r pots u can buy a any Jaycar Dick Smith Tandy that sell dual pots that work off 1 knob (like on the front of heaps of car radios) they pull out & that selects pot 1 push in & selects pot 2 hope my pathetic imag i drew helps u can get them linear or log in any size (ohms)

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Yeah, that was always an option. The thing is they are over $20 each, and its more about the width of the pot that is the problem. I think I might be able to fit at least one on either side of the bridge, or maybe behind the bridge. I'll see when I start routing the cavity.
another idea is slide resistors. So where is ya piece of oregon (the link) do u host your pics ?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
mmmmmmmmmmm oregon

mmmmmmmmm oregon

what is wrong with the knots in the oregon i love the knots in mine (had to take them down with a angle grinder with a steel blade NO CRAP)
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
It's a nice piece of wood isn't it. With something ironbark up the center and finished in tung oil, it should looks preeeeetty nice
WTF is tung oil anyway hear heaps r.e. it but i have no knowledge of it is it a horsey thing?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Uhhh...it's like.....an oil that bonds with the wood to make a nice finish? I'm not 100% sure, somebody else could possibly help?
no probs i'll ask Cord when im in his build page nextime & in mine
K im off 4 now been good talkin wid ya
cya
Im Richard BTW
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
U R kidding , sorry i didnt wait 4 an answer last night i just went 2 bed , U have 2 b kidding what r the chances , I mean not just that we have the same name , the fact that i felt the need 2 give u my name as well, (do do do do) X-files stuff. Where does that stuff come from, U know there must be more happening when ppl connect than we realise. Dont know im just a 50 year old fart trying ta make a little sence out of life just like every1 else. Just makes me wonder.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Oh of course , so u have heard all the dick jokes as well? It gets boring after a while eh? I usually say when ppl comment , yes i have heard them all but if u can tell me 1 i havent then I'll listen. There used 2 b a song around when i was a kid (stop laughing) (it wasnt that many centuries ago), that was called "Open The Door Richard" man did ppl get milage out of that with any Richard. U can imagine. If i can find a copy I'll let ya have a listen if ya like, it is really dumb but hey so is taking the piss out of Richard's just because time & ppl decided it (the name richard) could b shortened 2 dick. catch ya (Oh crap i feel perplexed , i now know your name but feel i shouldnt use it in posts, as i feel that is or seems a NOT DONE thing in posts) i know i can hear your thought U r saying WHAT A FRIGGEN WACKKER
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
haha, you can use my name, wouldnt've told you otherwise would i

and yeah, the dick jokes do go on, at my rugby club i have aquired the nickname 'dicky'. doesn't bother me though, theyve even come up with a song for me everytime i score a try.
where did you get the plans and dimensions to build this( im condisering building one myself)
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
can you send the mesusements of the fretboard cause then ill make up the rest from there
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
You mean for the size of the fretboard, or the fret distances? There's a list of fret distances on that page, or you can download a program called FretCalc that will work out the fret distances for any scale length, number of frets, etc
like the length of the entire fretboard and the width and height
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
My fretboard was originally 500x60x6 but I've cut it down to fit my body more. Now it's about 410 long
Hi her is fret calc, far out i only got it last night talk bout timing
Attachments:
fret calc.zip
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Page 1 of 3