So i just spent the past 3 hours with my Bass Guitar for Dummies book and got sick of playing the scales...but playing the scales actually helped...ALOT. I got sick of the scales and pulled out my The Best Of Bush book which is all for bass and I turned to Machinehead and was trying it out...and I actually got the hang of it. I am just like overly excited because for once I felt like I can do this. I just need a few lessons (slides and stuff like that) BUT I GOT IT.

SORRY....this excites me. This is the 1st song I've ever played on my bass and I could hear the song.
well done
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Cut those nails off ! you should be able to put your fingertips flat on a desk without your nails touching for perfect fretting. but well done on your first song. i remember my first tune, Karma Police by Radiohead. Ah, the days.

Also, no offence but to say you got it might be a bit premature!! You've a long way to go, young Jedi
See, scales do help

I got that feeling the first time I brought my bass home and learned Iron Man. That was sick.

Congrats! Have fun with it. If you feel you are getting bored at any point, change the way you are practicing. For instance, if you are going on the computer and looking at tabs and learning 14 songs a night (which I did for a few months), then you will probably get bored. Try to challenge yourself at all times.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Scales are essential. Playing them fast will also help you in the long run I find.
Congrats on the first song, and welcome to the brotherhood!
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Quote by Face The Slayer
Scales are essential. Playing them fast will also help you in the long run I find.
Congrats on the first song, and welcome to the brotherhood!

its a good feeling, so enjoy it for now. when your sweating out the really complicated stuff hours on end, and start playing with other musicians, that feeling goes away really quick
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
i'm sorry, i lied the song was Mouth by Bush ... I was trying Machinehead 1st. I know saying I got it is premature but the song is slow and i could follow along with the song. I'm excited since I haven't felt like I could play something since i got it.
nice, well done my good man, keep it up.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
lol unless you are a rock dude who does his nails black for the wedding \m/\m/ lol well done on the song, record how you play it and save it, come back in a few months or a year and listen to yourself, would never beleive you used to be so bad
Zap, i've done that. Man, it's cringeworthy!! Also, chloroformkisme, something i learnt early on in bass is that songs wont help you play scales as well as scales will help you play songs. Practice doesnt make perfect... PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
Try and get into good habits now, while you are new. They are hard to break later. Try and work a good practice routine, including drills, exercises and then some time to piss around and learn some songs later. that way you develop technically and you still have fun. Bassbitch is banned at the moment but when she comes back you should talk to her as she has been playing ages and can give you some good advice from a female prospective

Quote by chloroformkisme
I'm a chick.

I couldnt help but have an image of a little chicken playing a bass then
Last edited by Applehead at Jun 7, 2006,
hehe im having flashbacks to when i first started now. my first song.....seven nation army by white stripes....played on bass, haha. well done chloroformkisme!! stick with it and welcome to the best part of the rhythm section =)
i only wear black until they invent a darker colour

everyone is sh*t....were just all at different levels of sh*t
^Actually, you finally are one. Congrats on your first song, it's always good to see new bassists coming up.
yeah, that book is an amazing help- and if you are having troubles with anything, the author (patrick pfeifer, or however you spell it) is a member of activebass.com, and although he's usually very busy, he does drop in time to time to give advice/hear feedback on his book- plus, if you want more, head over there and check his "bass groove of the week/month" threads, where he gives little helpful tidbits.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
yeah, that book is an amazing help- and if you are having troubles with anything, the author (patrick pfeifer, or however you spell it) is a member of activebass.com, and although he's usually very busy, he does drop in time to time to give advice/hear feedback on his book- plus, if you want more, head over there and check his "bass groove of the week/month" threads, where he gives little helpful tidbits.

As I have said for the past 18 months, who needs lesson when you have that book? It's all I've ever needed ^_^

Oh and congrats on the song. I rmember my first 'Throw Away Your Television' by teh Chilis. I felt so please because I could play an RHCP song... Yeah, I was bad back then...
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Yes it was. It's one of the easiest RHCP songs in existence.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Actually it's not. it's played fairly fast for a newb.

G-|-----------------------|------------------------| 
D-|-----------------------|-----2---2-2--2-2-------|
A-|-----------------------|--------------------3-3-|
E-|-5--5-5-0-5-5--5-0-5-3-|-0-0---0----------0-----|

Verse: (x18)
G-|-----------------------|------------------------| 
D-|-----------------------|-----2---2-2--2-2-------|
A-|-----------------------|--------------------2-3-|
E-|-5--5-5-0-5-5--5-0-5-3-|-0-0---0----------0-----

An easy RHCP song for a newb would be Otherside:

Intro
G|--------|--------|--------|--------|
D|--------|--------|--------|--------|
A|--------|--------|-3-3-33-|--------|
E|-5-5-53-|-1-1-11-|--------|-3-3-33-|

Intro
Intro
Intro

Verse P1
G|----------|------------------|
D|-77777777-|-1414141414141414-|
A|----------|------------------|
E|----------|------------------|
Quote by Applehead
Actually it's not. it's played fairly fast for a newb.

I'm a fast learner.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by Applehead
*cough* bull**** *cough*

I don't want to go into a flame war here but it's not actually that difficult a song for a nooblet. Maybe you should try it instead of basic root note basslines once in a while.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Last edited by Felkara at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by Applehead
What's a root note?

Hot damn, gotta sig that ^_^
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

No problem man. But yeah, a root note is the first note of a mode (scale). For example your mode is C Minor. That makes your root note C.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Quote by chloroformkisme
^^ you mean my WOMAN. I'm a chick.

haha whoops

sorry about that.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Oh dear, i was joking man ! have you heard me play? check out my myspace in my sig. heh heh, this is definitely the LAST attempt at humour now for sure !!
Quote by Applehead
Oh dear, i was joking man ! have you heard me play? check out my myspace in my sig. heh heh, this is definitely the LAST attempt at humour now for sure !!

Ah... wow, I need to be able to realise when people are trying to make funnies... >.<

Also, nice basslines.
Quote by Sizzleby
Quote by thewho65

Dont worry, i think my jokes are only funny when they are in my head. Cheers for the compliment, maybe my joke makes slightly more sense now !
Jesus H. Christ Applehead.....please stop trying to be funny! On secon thought, don't.....I kind of enjoy the laughless humor. It reminds me of this stand up comic I once saw. It was like his entire goal for the night was to not make anyone laugh, but in the end he was halarious.
^I'm not going to report that.....but please don't spam, I hate spam so much. If it happens again it will get reported.
Quote by Bumper
^I'm not going to report that.....but please don't spam, I hate spam so much. If it happens again it will get reported.

will delete It was just something I had to say. haha. Edit: See, I'm good like that.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.