I want to know what exactly and how can I screw up when adjusting the truss rod, how extreme the adjustment has to be in order for that kind of damage to occur...

I have a Gibson Les Paul with some fret buzz higher up on the neck (closer to the nut) and I'd prefer not to change the action any more

Also what is the ideal neck relief? I've heard you have to press your string on the 1st fret and where the neck meets the body, and then measure the height on the 7th or 8th fret?

Should I get a luthier set my guitar up? How much do setups go for?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and please post all the measurements in centimeters or milimeters. I have no inch rulers.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Ok. You adjust the truss rod by using the wrench that probably came with your guitar. Remove the truss rod cover. Look down the neck with the headstock closest to you. If you need to lessen the bow in the neck, you tighten the rod by turning the wrench clockwise. If you need to increase the bow, you need to loosen the truss rod by turning the wrench counterclockwise.

What you can screw up: If you make drastic changes (like just start wrenching the truss rod full turns at a time, you can damage (crack, twist, break, etc.) the neck. If you overtighten it, you can strip the truss rod threads and need to replace it, which is costly.

Now, that being said, there is no reason you can't do truss rod adjustments yourself. Just move in very small increments, about 1/8th of a turn at a time, and let the guitar rest for a while between turns. Remember, that was once a living entity, the wood needs time to adjust.

Ideal neck relief, measuring like you said, should be about the thickness of 8 or 9 sheets of paper between the bottom of the low E string and the top of the 8th fret.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ideal neck relief, measuring like you said, should be about the thickness of 8 or 9 sheets of paper between the bottom of the low E string and the top of the 8th fret.

Thanks a bunch man, and 8 or nine sheets while depressed on the 1st and 16th fret or unfretted?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Best way is to put a capo on the first fret and then press down around the 17th or 18th fret.
Hi, I'm Peter
And what about the strings? Should I loosen them or remove them?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Nope, because the whole purpose of the truss rod is to allow it to counteract or resist the pull of the strings. That's why you loosen the truss rod to increase the bow - it allows the pull of the strings to put more bow in.
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks man, really helped me out there. I made myself a paper measurer now, and I'm off to do it. I hope I won't screw my guitar up!
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Sorry for the double post. How much time should I wait between two adjustments? I just made the first 1/8 of a turn, how much should I wait before continuing?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
wait like an hour or so, do another relief check and if necessary, make another small adjustment.
Hi, I'm Peter
Whoa, this'll take time.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Okay I did it. It took 4 times the 1/8 turn to get it up to 8 sheets of paper. Now, Looking down the neck, I can clearly see the neck bow. Is this okay for my guitar? It won't screw up if I leave it like that?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
You should be good. Remember, nothing is ever set in stone. The 8 sheet method is a great standard to work with. You might find, though, depending on how much of a tinkerer you are, that you might want to lessen or increase the bow. But now that you know how to do it, you're that much more knowledgeable
Hi, I'm Peter
Thanks man, I'll remember it.

So, to recap:

1. Do 1/8 turns
2. Do them one an hour
3. Tune and test every turn

Right?

Thanks a lot man, really appreciate it.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
No problem. I dislike it when people make it sound like truss rod adjustments are some mythical or dangerous thing. Nonsense. You're doing the same exact thing a professional luthier would do if you brought it to them for an adjustment. Good luck with your set up.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have a question too

The strings are blocking me to removing the truss rod cover and from turning it and it is very difficult to adjust it, what should I do, doctor?
the doc is out right now.

just loosen the two middle strings so u can remove the cover. u might need to leave them loose if u are having trouble getting the wrench to turn in there.

usually i leave the cover off, retune and do the adjustments for the day.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i was told by that epiphone guide sheet that you put the 3rd and 4th strings over the 2nd and 5th string nut grooves
Quote by jj1565
the doc is out right now.

Seriously, give me my lab coat back.

And Invictus, my formal title is Dirk Gently, Esq., making me a non-royal land owner in middle ages England.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 21, 2006,
It is Invictious!! I was invictus, but I evolved to a better version.
How can i easily access the truss rod besides loosening the middle two strings
that's it, im afraid. u loosen and move them. maybe even three strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

yo,
is it possible for someone to post a picture of wat a straight neck looks like cause i belive that the the fret board is supposed to be a little bent at the 12th fret when u look down the neck
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

its better to measure it, than to eyeball it. this site shows a cartoon pic of a bowed neck. and then how to measure. as it only takes a minute to get a good idea of ur necks shape.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

no problem. i hope u get it working right for u.
i think ive posted in a couple truss rod threads for u know, and im getting worried.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

so when i press the 16th fret and first fret (where it meets the body) as instructed, iv got about 1.5mm between the bottom of the 8th fret to the to the string is meen im done
ok if ur fretting the first fret (closest to the headstock),
at the same time are pressing the 16th fret,
and are measuring 1.5mm at the 8th fret,

that's too high.

you want a .25mm gap. u should be able to squeeze a couple of thin picks in the space.
the thickness of a credit card or the about 8 sheets of paper, like dirk said.

get someone to hold the 1st fret for u, or use a capo.

if u have too much gap then turn the nut clockwise 1/8"

OR if the neck feels good for the way u play, and ur not getting any buzz. then leave it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok 8 sheets of paper just fits so i geuss im good but i still get buzz so oviously my action is to low. Ino that les pauls arnt ment to have good action anyways

thanx for your help guys
Last edited by striker327 at Jun 24, 2006,