I'm bored and decided to just start a thread to see where all you people put your plucking hand when playing. just curious lol. Since i know everyone plays differently. me, I play with my plucking hand really close to the neck around the last fret which is the 21st on my bass. just feel more comfortable there than I do playing near the pickups lol. what about you guys?
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
I play either above my P pickup, or just further up.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I play usually on the neck pickup for tone, but for blistering speed i play down by the bridge
It obviously depends on what kind of tone and feeling you want to get.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I like my tone better when I play almost right above the 22nd fret
between the pickups, brighter sharper tone, and easier to play (in my mind)
when plucking in a riff that also has tapping, I play at the fingerboard. when regular playing, close to bridge.when slapping, edge of pickguard closer to bridge.

usually.
^ Indeed. But when im trying to play really fast, i play at the very end of the fretboard and use my thubm as an anchor. Its a habit I developped while first attempting to play with4 fingers (which I soon gave up) and it stuck.
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Depends on the sound i want. Between hand position, playing style and pick-up config, you'd be amazed at the sounds you can get. I have a Fender Jazz Standard and i can get a couple of Claypool tones (Fisticuffs from Brown album) then change around a bit, and we're pretty close to Flea (especially these days)
slap-end of the neck
double slap-thumb midway from pickup to neck
pop-over pickup
tapping-on the neck
pick-nearer to neck
fingers-over P-pickup
harmonics- I have a thing for tapping them with my right just to be arkward
Quote by Face The Slayer
^ Indeed. But when im trying to play really fast, i play at the very end of the fretboard and use my thubm as an anchor. Its a habit I developped while first attempting to play with4 fingers (which I soon gave up) and it stuck.

The further away you are from the bridge, the less taut the strings are and so the slower you can play..