What is the purpose of :

a floyd rose.

a tremelo bar

a whammy bar

a truss rod

(any pic would be so helpful for all the above mentioned items so i can recognize them)

ive heard those terms many times and have a vague image of some of them.

thanx guys
a whammy and tremolo bar are the same thing. a floyd rose is a type of whammy bar. a truss rod is a piece of metal running thru your neck so it doesnt warp or whatever
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

A whammy/tremelo bar lets you make funny noises with your guitar, a floyd rose lets you make more funny noises and is thus better.
Ibanez RG7620
Line 6 Spider II 212
Boss PW-10

Influences
John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Gary Moore, Mark Tremonti, Angus Young,Iron Maiden, Richie Sambora, Kirk Hammett, Megadeth, Dragonforce
a floyd rose. - Tremelo brand http://www.musicyo.com/docs/k09.jpg

a tremelo bar - A bar that moves your tailpeice in order to change pitch, even though tremelo is a volume term in music

a whammy bar - same thing as above

a truss rod - A long strip of metal that is used to adjust the relief on your neck. To adjust this there is a hex key slot/screw at the bottom of your guitar neck or on your headstock. May be under a plate.
Floyd Roses are a trem system that locks the string at the bridge and at the nut, giving you great tuning stability even if you use the trem a lot.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.