ok im kind of a guitar idiot but wat exactly is alternate picking? i always thought it was just another way of fingerpicking, but after reading several lessons on here i assume im very wrong... my guess is that alternate picking is just strumming, or is there more to it? like how would i play the first exercise in the lesson below? would i strum all 6 strings while frettin those notes or do i just pick each string? ANY help is very much appreiciated thanks
all it is is doing up and down strokes

try this

0 0 0 0 5 5 5 5 6 6 6 6 7 7 7 7 8 8 8 8 on each string and then do it going down..do it in all 16th notes or something
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
oh and another thing....wat is bmp? i know it stands for beats per minute, but how would you know if your playing 100 beats per min?
^^so do you mean to strum up and down on one string at a time? real sorry but i hav a lot to learn i guess......
no like ok for the first 0 u would strum down the next one u would strum up and u alternate like that
Quote by Andjustice.....

i could see that being liek a sign at an entrace to a theme park ,"remember to always be safe dont litter and remember to have a nice day in my pants!"

Quote by Robbie n strat
"If you listen really carefully, you can hear carrots scream when you cut them."
instead of just picking straight down or straight up you alternate so that you go down up down up down up.

Down picking would be ^^^^
up picking would be >>>>>
alternate picking would be ^>^>^>^>^>^>^

bpm is beats per minute

For tab- If the notes are on top of each other then you would play them at the same time. If they're staggered then pick them because they're individual notes. If they're ontop of each other they're a chord or meant to be played at the same time.
Last edited by imbackagain2 at Jun 6, 2006,
^i know bpm is beats per min (not hard to guess) but how would you know if your playing say 100 beats or 80 beats per min? i looked around the site and i see people goin 'i can go up to 140 bpm' and stuff like that, how do they know that their playing 140 bpm?
They use a metronome, you can find many fre ones online, aint got a link at the moment, sorry
Alternate picking means you play a down pluck, then up, then down, then up, etc.

As for your question about tabs...this might help:

E-----------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------
G----------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------
A-4--------------------------------------
E-2--------------------------------------
   ^ because these notes are stacked, you play them at the same time.            

E--------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------
D------------------------3--5-----------------
A---------------3-4-5------------------------
E---------3--6-----------------------------
              ^ you play this riff one note at a time.
try alternate picking it.  Play the
 3 down, the 6 up, the 3 down, the
4 up, the 5 down, the 3 up, the 5 down. 
In case you're wondering, it's the start of the
blues scale, with the root on the E string.

E----0--------------------------------
B----1--------------------------------
G----0--------------------------------
D----2--------------------------------
A----3--------------------------------
E--------------------------------------
       ^ this is the C chord in tab form.
Since the notes are stacked, you play
them all at the same time.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Alternate picking means you play a down pluck, then up, then down, then up, etc.

As for your question about tabs...this might help:

E-----------------------------------------
B-----------------------------------------
G----------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------
A-4--------------------------------------
E-2--------------------------------------
^ because these notes are stacked, you play them at the same time.

E--------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------
D------------------------3--5-----------------
A---------------3-4-5------------------------
E---------3--6-----------------------------
^ you play this riff one note at a time.
try alternate picking it. Play the
3 down, the 6 up, the 3 down, the
4 up, the 5 down, the 3 up, the 5 down.
In case you're wondering, it's the start of the
blues scale, with the root on the E string.

E----0--------------------------------
B----1--------------------------------
G----0--------------------------------
D----2--------------------------------
A----3--------------------------------
E--------------------------------------
^ this is the C chord in tab form.
Since the notes are stacked, you play
them all at the same time.

Pretty sure we cleared this up already but nice diagrams Not sure if you live in canada but if you do long and mcquade has a sale right now and metronomes are on that list of sale items.

Quote by random_5541
^i know bpm is beats per min (not hard to guess) but how would you know if your playing say 100 beats or 80 beats per min? i looked around the site and i see people goin 'i can go up to 140 bpm' and stuff like that, how do they know that their playing 140 bpm?

Yeah, you need a metronome.
Ignore anyone who says the can play at X BPM. They're idiots. BPM is a tempo
and is NOT a measurement of your playing speed.
whooah now im confused about the alternate picking, what is it exactly, strumming or plucking? and in the blues diagram lespaul rentals gave, do you pluck down and up on each string i.e pluck down on 3, up on 6, etc.? crap im all confused.......
i figured i was askin too many questions sorry about that...^ butthat cleared it up i know how its done thanks
You weren't asking to many questions. It's just alot simpler then you think. Glad to hear you understand. Im sure if you look under lessons theres one about alternate picking and pretty much any other technique you need to learn. good luck