Ok so I just built a Linear Power Boost pedal and it came out great. Now its time to make something else. I've already got a distortion pedal, so Im not really wanting to make another one. Any ideas on what my next pedal should be?

(Oh and, Pink Queen, I will probably ask your help...since Im part of your cult as you so nicely put it..... )
You could make a Wah pedal without the rocking motion and just have it so you can tweak it to that nice nasal tone when you switch it on, you know? What do you think?
I thought about a Wah, but I was going to try to make a clone of the Ibanez Weeping Demon, but everyone said that I would have too many problems with an optical circuit in it. But I dont know what kind of wah I should build if I do build one.
Quote by jndietz
Make a flanger or a phase shifter or something

Or an analog delay!

That's kinda difficult, especially compared to a simple boost. . .
Well Im not too ginorant when it comes to electronics and circuitry. Lol. I was just wondering what would be a good pedal to build next. I.E. what I should add to my pedal board.
^IMO after a booster, you need a nice easy overdrive.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/easydrive.html
Great sounding easy circuit. It's a nice overdrive with a hint of fuzz, sounds really great for Classic rock. There's a version with clipping and volume control too, if you're interested I can dig it up.
I really recommend it because it's very similar to an LPB, it just has those clipping diodes that are fun to mess with.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^ Yeah normally i'd suggest a overdrive or fuzz, be he said he didn't want to make a distortion pedal.
How about a simple compressor?
Quote by jndietz
Or an analog delay!

Most (if not all?) vendors have stopped making the chips for analog delay pedals.

I don't like the topology of that "easy drive" pinky linked to one bit, it won't have the clarity of a nice op-amp design (or a better designed transistor design.) There will certainly be a fuzz going on... I'd reccomend something a bit more challenging too because that thing isn't any harder (really) than a booster pedal. I'd either look into an OD design that uses a few transistors/fets cascaded or an op-amp OD design, perhaps a TS design without the switching system (a true bypass instead.) To me that seems like a more logical step up as opposed to a "staying at the same level" sorta project. Something like that shouldn't be too hard, as long as you can follow a schematic, plus you get a lot of options with a TS design, you can mess about with clipping diodes, op-amps etc. Which can completely change the sound (my personal favourite "clipper" is a two opposing JFETs, one of which with a little resistor in series to add some assymetry.)

Oh and simple compressing circuits are usually quite noisy or aren't hi-fi or don't have a nice even compression. If you must make one use an Orange Squeeze design and expect a very squishy non-hifi type compression.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
What exactly does a compressor do? I have heard of them but never played on one and some one told me it improved sustain or adds some distortion or something.
Quote by ClaptonRules
What exactly does a compressor do? I have heard of them but never played on one and some one told me it improved sustain or adds some distortion or something.

It reduces the dynamic range so loud notes become quiet and quiet notes become louder. Giving you (the impression of) longer sustain. They're not for everybody, some people hate them. Personally I like a real hi-fi type compressor and you can't get those with simple circuits! On the other hand some people like the squishy sound of a "pedal type" compressor, so the choice is yours really.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Well, IMO this is a pretty nice sounding compressor type thing:
Schem+mods+whatever:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=41768.0
Layout(with some mods/whatever. Check the second page too.):
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44030.0

Kind of squishy, but I like it. It is true that it's not the type of compressor for all though.

Here's mine partially done, as you can see, there aren't many parts.
Cool I might try to build that one. Is there a parts list that I can download, and do I need to put in the hubs so I can change out some cirsuits or would it be fine with just set circuits?
"Hubs"?
The black thing in the middle of your circuit. I know its for plugging different stuff into without having to resolder them in. Atleast thats what the dude at radio shack said anyway.
Oh the socket...
I just like it because there's no chance of frying the chip with heat, but mostly because you can try different ones too.
Oh, ok. So I dont necesarily need to put that in?

By the way is there a parts list I can find with all of the circuits I will need for that compressor build?
Last edited by ClaptonRules at Jun 7, 2006,