Page 1 of 2
what are some songs that you have to listen to over and over again to finally appreciate.

i have a few:
drudkh-the first snow. upon first listen, it sounds like the same thing over and over. but for the first time, last night in bed, i actually got it. i had to listen outside the immediate song to the AHHHH vibration sounds and the faint scratching on the fret board. OH cream dream.

also, most xasthur.

some satyricon- dark medeival times. just to hear everything that is going on.
The Devin Townsend Band. When I first heard them, I thought it was OK, nothing huge. I couldn't quite see why it was genius.

Then one night, on a train back from the gig I went to (Dragonforce, w00t). I decided to stick Terria on my iPod. Only when I could fully immerse myself in it did I begin to understand why it is praised as 'Genius'. After more listens, it became more and more obvious why it was great, the setting of mood, The huge, multilayered sound, the honest feeling of the music in general. It just came together so well.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Strapping Young Lad - Love

Quite annoying the first time over but I couldn't seem to stop listening to it.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Empyrean Sky - Into the Depths. After a few listens I only thought it was totally badass. Upon further listens I realized it might be one of the greatest songs ever recorded.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Cephalic Carnage just...in general. At first I thought they were just so-so, but as I listened more and more to them I grew to love their sound.

Also the whole Ghost Reveries album took a few weeks for me to fall in love with.
Quote by Wayfaerer
Cephalic Carnage just...in general. At first I thought they were just so-so, but as I listened more and more to them I grew to love their sound.

Also the whole Ghost Reveries album took a few weeks for me to fall in love with.

so true.....especially the point on "ghost reveries." at first i was like....meh, but it is not a bad release by any means, especially the first few songs.

to dyers, i just downloaded some "townsend band" stuff, and it is really good. im gettin more into the "atmospherical" sounds of metal, and this will make a great addition to my collection.

p.s. dude, are u ever gonna be on soulseek??
I am right now...
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
^+1. When I first listened, I just thought "Meh, this is nothing on Blackwater Park or MAYH", but its a grower, definitely.

Also, God Hates Us All. It still isn't anything on RIB, SOH or SITA, but its way better than I thought it was at first.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Yeah, Ghost Reveries for me also and Metallica's Black Album. Just like Ghost Reveries, it seems boring at first but if you listen to the whole thing its pretty good. Ghost Reveries is pretty boring except for 4 tracks i thought. I need Blackwater Park bad....
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
old school metallica,if u think about all the **** on the radio today old metallica is a welcomed break.
Voivod. After i bought their self-titled CD, i thought it was a complete waste of money. But after a couple listens I kept going back to it.
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk - Emperor (album rather than song)
King of All Kings - Hate Eternal (Album)
Dantes Inferno - Iced Earth... back when i was new to metal that song scared me
your mother gets better with time
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Everclear - AM Radio.

Yeah, right.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
I'm ashamed to say I was this way with ozzy and sabbath. I used to be into punk and all that years back, and when my friend gave me a cd with a bunch of songs on it, I just tossed it aside. But ozzy would eventually become my favorite group.,which got me into more metal, and I would leave the punk shit behind.
Quote by axe_grinder247
meatwad>chuck norris
Amon Amarth were this way for me. When I bought Fate of Norns, I didn't like the whole Viking theme surrounding the music, but I slowly started to realize hwo great these guys really were.

Strapping Young Lad-SYL was like this as well.

Quote by ChrisL2003
I'm ashamed to say I was this way with ozzy and sabbath. I used to be into punk and all that years back, and when my friend gave me a cd with a bunch of songs on it, I just tossed it aside. But ozzy would eventually become my favorite group.,which got me into more metal, and I would leave the punk shit behind.

Not all punk sucks, y'know.
Cannibal Corpse. First time I've heard them and "Hammer Smashed Face," I was thinking "bbbbbboooooooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg." Then, I started listening to more CC and I'm hooked.
Quote by Scourge441

Not all punk sucks, y'know.

True, but I was into Blink 182... so I mean pop punk, I suppose.
Quote by axe_grinder247
meatwad>chuck norris
brutal death metal.

more specifically, Nile.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
The berzerker got me into deathmetal vox and stuff. I thought metallica where brutal at the time I first heard them
</IMO>
^I thought that, too lol.

It took a few days for "Since The Day It All Came Down" to grow on me. After that, non-stop pant-creamage.
Quote by mydadisjewish
so true.....especially the point on "ghost reveries." at first i was like....meh, but it is not a bad release by any means, especially the first few songs.

Agreed completly. The first thing that threw me off on that album was in "Ghost of Perdition" when Mikael sings the lines "Devil cracked the earthly shell...ect.ect.". That part threw me off so much I was almost angry. Oddly enough though I love that part now. And the solo's in "Baying of the Hounds" and "Beneath the Mire" are phenomonal (especially "Baying of the Hounds").

Also is it just me or does "Beneath the Mire" sound like it should be in a Castlevania game?
im just going to have to say some black metal, more specifically bands like drudkh
and all.
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
Quote by Night_Lights
brutal death metal.

more specifically, Nile.

Nile fucking owns. Sarcophagus
Quote by Night_Lights
brutal death metal.

I have to admit, it's quite an acquired taste of music. I happen to like it a lot, but my friend Dayne hates it.
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
Quote by PenumbralFigure
I have to admit, it's quite an acquired taste of music. I happen to like it a lot, but my friend Dayne hates it.

moral of the story: sucks to be close minded to new music.
The Berzerker definatley. First time I heard it, I thought it was just fast noise and not that great. After more listens, I "got it" and really saw why people listened to them.

Cryptosy's Once Was Not as well. I hated it on the first listen because of the constant change in styles and tempo etc. I love it now because it takes a few listens all the way through to sink in.
Read my post. Not this.
I think that the whole Beneath the Remains album by sepultura is one of my favorites... It did take me a while to like because at the time I was used to music with a fine line(like most new metal) It was and still is pure genious... It really made me think twice about what I play on the guitar

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by grave
classical music such as:
chopin
schumann

everything else is like fruit

I'm thinking more Shostakovich (or however you spell his ****ing name) and all his early 1900's homey's from Russia. It's very odd stuff, but it's amazing when you can immerse yourself in it. Try his 5th Symphony in D minor for something genuinely brilliant (esp. if you know the story behind it)
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
id also like to mention: Devin Townsend. i think im finally starting to understand his music.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by reed
I'm thinking more Shostakovich (or however you spell his ****ing name) and all his early 1900's homey's from Russia. It's very odd stuff, but it's amazing when you can immerse yourself in it. Try his 5th Symphony in D minor for something genuinely brilliant (esp. if you know the story behind it)

Man Shostakovich and Stravinsky fucking own.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Page 1 of 2