To put it simple: my gear is crap so whenever I connect it to my computer to record something, it sounds like crap.
What I'm looking for is an easy to use recording program that includes good sounding guitar effects (so I wont have to use my multi-effects pedal) and a synth (this is not a must have but it would be cool if it had a synth).

I'm using a PC with an Intel Pentium IV 1.6GHz processor, 512 MB RAM and I have about 20Gb free on my HD.

Thank you in advance.

[By the way, I have read the FAQ's and stickies but I didn't find any information stating exactly what I need]
Quote by supergohan931
I use Line 6 Rifftracker. Don't know specs on it so I don't know if it'll work on your computer but you could look it up.

Thank you very much for replying.

Though, I forgot to mention that I don't want to spend money. The program you are talking about costs about $100 (american dollars). I would steal it from the Internet but you need some sort of hardware so that would be useless.
audacity is a free recording program that has a few effects, no synth though. so what i do is combine audacity with the program fruity loops, which does have synth capabilities and also quite a few effects you can use on your guitar. now, FL is not free, but you can get the free demo from their website. the only real limit is that you cant save, but since you can export as mp3 all you have to do is completely finish your song without shutting off the program and you are fine.

basicly what you would do here is record your guitar in audacity, then export it as a wav (or mp3), then import that into FL. in FL you can run that channel through the mixer where you would add effects. then you can use all the synths that FL has to offer to allow you to create any other parts you want. thats really the only free way i can think of to add synths. but a warning: many people think FL is very more complex than it is so they have trouble with it, and others just dont like the program. this is why the demo is good, so you can get a feel for it before you spend money on it.
steal protools. Best program ever
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
steal protools. Best program ever

I know it's the best program out there and I know I can steal it but I also know that it is very difficult to use, needs a lot of system resources and it would take a lot of time just to record one track.

About that Audacity program I have not heard much from it but I might give it a try. I would prefer the effects to be in real time and not added after laying the clean guitar track but if this is the only cheap easy way to do it then I will have to do that.
I haven't heard anything about Guitarport, I'm going to check that right now.
And about Fruity Loops, I thought it was easy to use, I read great reviews about that program... anyway I'm going to check that too.

Thank you for the helpful replies all of you.
don't you have to have the hardware ot use pro tools? Anyway, rip off ACid Pro 5 off of limewire or whatever and then just compile a bunch of vst effects like i have. Great for looping and multitracking. Check all the stuff in my sig, I recorded it using a cheap dynamic microphone, and acid pro 5. You can also get single drums sounds and use fake drum beats.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
Quote by guitarwylde03
don't you have to have the hardware ot use pro tools? Anyway, rip off ACid Pro 5 off of limewire or whatever and then just compile a bunch of vst effects like i have. Great for looping and multitracking. Check all the stuff in my sig, I recorded it using a cheap dynamic microphone, and acid pro 5. You can also get single drums sounds and use fake drum beats.

Thank you very much.

I have a few questions: the distortion on the tracks from http://www.myspace.com/guitarwylde03 were added on your computer using Acid Pro 5 or did you record your guitar with the distortion already on?
VST effects can be used on that program? I thought only Cubase (and maybe Reason) used VST effects.
You say you used a cheap dynamic microphone, did you record a clean guitar through your amp?
Quote by Beansontoast

I said my gear was crap and that's why I don't use like to use my amp and effects pedal!

By the way, I downloaded Audacity and so far... I LOVE IT! It's really easy to use.

Except that it does not have the effects I wanted (mainly a cool Petrucci-like distortion). I enabled the VST plug-in so I'm going to look for VST distortion Plug-Ins.
your gonna have to pay for a petrucci like ampmodeler most likely.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Quote by NiTrO_FrEeZiNg
I said my gear was crap and that's why I don't use like to use my amp and effects pedal!

By the way, I downloaded Audacity and so far... I LOVE IT! It's really easy to use.

Except that it does not have the effects I wanted (mainly a cool Petrucci-like distortion). I enabled the VST plug-in so I'm going to look for VST distortion Plug-Ins.

The quality of sound has nothing to do with software, rather hardware, and if you're using your stock soundcard which will have ****ty AD conversion and no effects will disguise that. You will probably have to buy and interface (yes, it costs money but recording is an expensive 'hobby'.)

And no free program will give you decent effects.
try acid pro. maybe its not your effects that makes the sound carp. probably your pc's volume settings
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots