Where should you place your hand when you're picking? Should it be floating in front of the strings or touching slightly against the strings? Should you plant your pinky below the strings?
It's all personal preference, I like to keep my hand anchored on the bridge so I can go into palm muting quicker
People constantly ask this...it's really whatever you feel is comfortable!
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Haha, wow, 26 page thread! I didn't realize this was such a common/controversial topic. I just figured it'd be a simple, do it or don't do it. Thanks for the link!
I rest my hand on the bridge, but not in a fixed position. For example, if I'm sweep picking going down, my hand goes down accordingly, but still rests slightly on the strings on the way down to mute any sympathetic string ringing; my picking hand mutes all strings below the one being picked with my picking hand mutes the ones above. Some define this as anchoring but I don't think it is. In my opinion planting a finger somwhere on the guitar or keeping your hand planted on the bridge and never moving it (only moving your fingers or wrist) is anchoring, and in my opinion is not a good idea. However the thread above is pages full of opinions and techniques so decide for yourself!

Bry
Quote by Slash_metal
It's all personal preference, I like to keep my hand anchored on the bridge so I can go into palm muting quicker

I find with this it is not personal preference.

If you give not anchoring a chance and actually try it instead of thinking "This is bull****. It won't work,", you will find that your picking speed and accuracy will improve. If you just try it for a day, nothing will happen. You actually have to keep at it, just liike with everything else.

I used to anchor, but I tried not anchoring for a while and I got used to it. Now I can pick more accurately and cleanly.