I see a lot of people in this forum get down on this band and I'm not sure why. So, I want people to tell me precisely what it is they don't like about Coldplay.

Personally find them to be a very good band - good singer with a unique voice, a guitar player with a really great sense of melody, a few nice albums, and a pretty relaxed, mellow style.

So why don't people here like Coldplay?
I personally just think the music is kinda boring. No idea why but it's not fast enough for me.
I've always thought they were pretty bland to be honest, and I think alot of their stuff sounds the same.

But the biggest thing I dislike is Chris Martin unabashedly trying to imitate the vocal style of Jeff Buckley, and failing. Yes, he can do a falsetto, but it's extremely whiny and without any real power.
Quote by Alucard II
bland, repetitive, boring music.

Just curious... which songs are repetitive?

Clocks and Speed of Sound are the only two that sound like they're quite similar (and they're really not that similar, just sonically reminiscent)

Quote by the_mute
ve always thought they were pretty bland to be honest, and I think alot of their stuff sounds the same.

But the biggest thing I dislike is Chris Martin unabashedly trying to imitate the vocal style of Jeff Buckley, and failing. Yes, he can do a falsetto, but it's extremely whiny and without any real power.

I don't think he's trying to imitate Jeff Buckley... Jeff Buckley is like a classically trained opera singer turned rock singer. To try to imitate him would be foolish. And yeah his falsetto is thin-sounding but I think that's what gives it that good quality - it's yearning. I dunno, Chris can FEEL the music as well as anyone out there.

I think that's the point that Coldplay makes, is that.. yeah, technical stuff is great, fastness is fine, but art isn't just trying to make the most detailed painting, sometimes it's about just painting what you feel like painting. So, their stuff is big on the "feeling" and small on the "lets be as complex as possible"
Last edited by pratt121 at Jun 6, 2006,
i like them. i'm guessing they're unpopular here for the same reason green day is: this is a website of guitar players. You're not going to find any interesting guitar work, and that turns off a lot of people here. Overall though, they're excelleng, AROBTTH is a very good album, and not repetitive at ALL. Parachutes is very good as well, although it is a bit more subdued. X&Y on the other hand I don't like at all. The best songs come from a sample and a rehash of a better song. But again, the album is different from both of the previous ones. I don't understand the argument that their songs sound the same at all. Blandness is a reasonable argument, even though i like them, but to say they all sound the same is ignorant or just being intentionally unfair.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I really like them. Personally X&Y is their best album for me. The lyrics are so cleverly put together and there's a nice mix of sound on the album. Check out the tracks White Shadows, Swallowed In The Sea, Hardest Part and Wait For Me. Amazing.
RHCP Track Of The Week: Funny Face

'QUEEN ARE THE MOST OVERRATED BAND SINCE THE BEATLES' - A controversial comment which I firmly believe.
I liked the first album. But they didnt really break any new ground on anything after that, so ive come to think theyre a bit monodirectional and lacking in creativity. Oh, and what the guy said about Chris Martin trying to imitate Jeff Buckley's true too. And his kid's called APPLE for gods sake...