When I see bands playing power chords, it seems like they're able to just hammer away at them at really fast speeds. How are people able to do this while still making sure that they're only hitting the correct three strings? Is it through a lot of practice that you can get that accurate with your strumming, or are you supposed to mute the other strings so that you can strum less accurately?
mute em, but it can be a combination of both.

for example, when doing power chords on the 5th string, I have it so that my index finger slightly touches the 6th string so i can hit it and it won't sound.
For the people who use exaggerated picking arm movements, it's a combination of both, I would imagine.

I personally move my arm as little as possible which gives a fair bit of control over where my pick's hitting, so I usually won't have to worry much about muting.
never ever ever ever ever barre power chords

i play all my power chords on 6th string and the E on 5th but playing 6th open

if i do play powers on 5th i keep the wrist tight but hit hard
I form the powerchord with the 4th, 3rd and 2nd fingers and then barre with the first finger.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
also: how to solve 5th strings power chords

use drop d and play with one finger, just remeber to play the chords to frets higher than usual

e.g. F5 (133xxx) in standard
F5 (333xxx) in Drop D my best friend
Most of the bands you see doing that are doing it for show. After you've been playing for a while, you sort of learn to make that huge arm strum that the girls love, and pull your pick away before you high the other strings. I usually mute the other strings with the unused fingers, though.

I'd like to take this moment to remind everybody:

DON'T STRUM WITH YOUR ELBOW UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED GIRLS. IT WILL CAUSE BACK, NECK,SHOULDER, AND ELBOW PROBLEMS IN THE LONG TERM. STRUM WITH YOUR WRIST.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
DON'T STRUM WITH YOUR ELBOW UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED GIRLS. IT WILL CAUSE BACK, NECK,SHOULDER, AND ELBOW PROBLEMS IN THE LONG TERM. STRUM WITH YOUR WRIST.

So that's why I'm not getting the girls... Lol, j/k ^_^
It's a bit of both. For me at least. Even though you mute the strings, sometimes they still make a percussive sound that is still audible when you pick the string. This happens especially with the low E string. So you do have to make sure that you are picking accurately.
sorry globetro,dont mean to intrude...how do i mute this?

E----------------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------------
G-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---------------
D-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5---------------
A-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3---------------
E-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---------------
x x x x x x x x x x x x
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
You mean how to mute the B and high E strings? I'd use my ring finger. Use what's left of your ring finger to mute.