Input please.

Advantages and Disadvantages

Squier Strat HSS
vs.
Fender Standard MIM HSS
vs.
Fender Standard American HSS

How are MIM and American different in value, tone, quality, hardware and materials?

Go for the MIM Strat and upgrade the pickups?
Last edited by bo0m at Jun 6, 2006,
None. The AMR strat has a really thin paper sound. Sounds like sh*t if you ask me. (Come on! Flame me!). If you want a good tone from a Fender try the Eric Clapton Strat. It's amazing, but it costs a little more tough.
Im looking for a humbucker and single combo, fender... i can't afford the eric clapton.

im probably gonna get MIM Standard HSS, unless somebody advises me against it.
What about a MIJ strat they are built just as well as americans (if not better) however the pick-ups arrent quite as good.

For the price you could get a Japanese one and change the pickups for less than an american
Equipment
Gibson - Les Paul Junior
Fender - Jagstang
Squier - Tom Delonge
Cort - Katana
Peavy - Vintage Electro-Acoustic
Marshall - MG100DFX

--> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> --> ...
It's not that bad, only the tone isn't as 'natural' as some other models. The squier is significantly worse in terms of construction, tone and hardware. Don't get that. I suggest the MIM and replace the pickups if you're not happy.
Does it HAVE to be Fender? That's pretty superficial. Buying a guitar because of the brand name. The MIM guitars suck pretty bad compared to the AMR series. Try an AMR Tele. They're better than the strats I think.
Personally, i think teles look bad, and only 2 pickups... meh
Play them, buy which one you like.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
taken from another forum.

"Better pickups, better tuners, better frets, better fret job, better wood, better paint job, better bridge, better elctronics, better assembly, better case, better resale value, better get the American Strat!"

"Well, I would say get the Mexican if you must have a Fender. All fenders (with the exceptions of the JAPS) are made in Mexico anyway. For a guitar to be considered "American" it just has to be 60% ASSEMBLED in the USA. They are made in teh same factory. It takes a while, but you can usually find a Mexican Strat that is really nice, they are made on most of the same machines as the Americans anyway. The real differences are the hardware and the neck treatment."

TRUE?
Don't listen to anyone. Listen to the instrument. If you like the way it looks, if you like the way it feels, if you like the way it sounds, then buy it.

Music is about personal expression, not being cool. Even if you buy Clapton's guitar, you won't sound like Clapton, so try your best to sound and look like yourself.

It doesn't matter where the guitar was made. Each factory puts out a gem or two now and then. One dude from the Strokes plays a Japanese 70s reissue Strat, and they're selling out arenas. A lot of players buy top of the line guitars and only play in their basement.

Each instrument has it's own sound. It's up to you to find it. If you can rock the house on a $250 Squire, that's cool. Spend the extra money on some effect pedals and pay your rent on time.

Buy the Mexican, take it to a decent guitar tech and pay him to set it up properly. Have him look at the wiring. You can replace cheap parts later, which will really personal guitar.

Most of all, have fun.
Quote by LP Junior
Does it HAVE to be Fender? That's pretty superficial. Buying a guitar because of the brand name. The MIM guitars suck pretty bad compared to the AMR series. Try an AMR Tele. They're better than the strats I think.

maybe he likes the tone of Fenders...is there a problem with preffering companies

i rec. tryin out MIM because u can get a real nice find sometimes, altho i have played the AMR and they sound really nice as well
I bought a Richie Sambora Sig series MIM strat off of Ebay that is nearly flawless. The tone and sustain are great. The only real difference I can see between the Mexican units and the American ones are the quality of hardware used, ie. bridge, tuners, nut.

My next Fender will be a plain jane Mexican unit that I plan to customize the paint and replace the pickups with the David Gilmore active EMG pickups and presence control.

Brian
i OWN thats right i said OWN an american strat and i love it. get the american.AMERICA RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by LP Junior

are you ****tin me, x2????!?!

Have you even tried the new 06 MIM strats?
ok say i go for the MIM strat. what would be the best HSS pickup upgrade?

suggestions? brand, or model?

also, does anyone know where i can take a look at new MIJ strats?