I see it as a feature on some amps I have been looking at online but I do not really know what it means. Can someone help me out as to how it relates to amps?

Thanks!
most built in effects usually aren't good, so check them out first.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
well...its the effects on the amp. theyre rarely as good as stompbox effects, and you often can't combine them. theyre a good starting point if you havent really used effects before though.
It gets a little confusing because you can have effects in the amp, stomp boxes or multi effect processors. It almost seems as though the best route would be to get a good tube amp and a good multi effects processor/amp replicator to replace a bunch of stomp boxes. This way you have everything you need and more than you'll probably ever use. I am thinking correctly about this?
An amp with built-in effects does work, however I think it's best to go with a good amp with stomp boxes. The effects will be much better coming out of a stomp box than out of any amp I've listened to, and I've heard a few. I prefer this approach just for that reason. You will be able to really dial in on the way you want the effects to work, like with the Ibanez ts9 overdrive pedal, you can really dial in how you want the overdrive sounds, be it like Stevie Ray Vaughn sound or just a clean boost, where as a built in one really just has a "most used/sought after" over-driven tone (obviously as it's named for). A multi-effect processor is decent depending on the one you get, but again, you don't get to really to make it cater to your needs. The advantages of the built-in are obviously not having to deal with the hassle of tons of pedals, the need to power them all and the worst, the possibility of needing to suppress hissing with an additional noise suppressing pedal, but the trade off is a much more precise tone and the ability to create countless different sounds with the combinations and pedal adjustments. Its really all in preference though. I like my options, so I go pedals.
Quote by mrtgman
It gets a little confusing because you can have effects in the amp, stomp boxes or multi effect processors. It almost seems as though the best route would be to get a good tube amp and a good multi effects processor/amp replicator to replace a bunch of stomp boxes. This way you have everything you need and more than you'll probably ever use. I am thinking correctly about this?

This is what I do. I have a GP8 (not purley DSP, lots of analog in it too but all MIDI controlled) and a Quadraverb all in the same rack as my amp. The only thing I need at my feet is the foot controller and a Morley wah.
One of the biggest advantages is that you can program the effects perfectly for every song and it's just a single button to recall them at the gig. No rooting around with stompboxes and having to tweak settings between songs - just program it once and you're set to go forever more.
For jamming it can be a pita but for gigging nothing beats a good MIDI controllable FX unit or two.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Holy crap I didn't notice that. A six year old necrobump. I suppose that means that at least he uses the search function.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And yet I'm still using ones from the 80's and they sound great.
Of course though, being paired up with a sensational tube amp doesn't hurt.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification