Ok, so my bandmates and I wrote a song last year that we play all the time, kinda bluesy and one of our best I think. I came up with the rythm guitar parts and our lead guitarist came up with the solo. Well, it's just been brought to my attention that the song sounds like another song from a prog rock band that was a hit back in 1988 or so. Our song with the drums and bassline and all sounds completely different, but the main riff does sound like the other band....I even looked it up here and someone tabbed the song and it's the same, but our song has different chord changes at the end of the main riff.

Do we need to scrap this song? Are we asking for a lawsuit if we publish or record it? Surely there's been other instances of different songs using similar chord progressions.....any opinions? Thanks.

JQ
King Karl
King Karl #7......my amp hand is way strong!!
Two strats, a crate, digitech, sure mics, attitude......
Last edited by kingkarl7 at Jun 6, 2006,
As someone mentioned when the Chili Peppers' plagarism news article was published, one can't copyright chord progressions, so unless the melody is exactly the same as well then I very much doubt you have anything to worry about. There's probably a huge amount of songs out there (published or not) that feature an identical or very similar main riff to your own work purely because there is a limited number of common chord progressions.

Hope that helped.
Love is not a victory march.
it really is a bugger when things like this happen, and that seems to happen a lot. well you could change the timing ever so slightly, or if you get screwed by the law just feign oblivion.
sorry i couldnt be more help
Quote by shakysam
As someone mentioned when the Chili Peppers' plagarism news article was published, one can't copyright chord progressions, so unless the melody is exactly the same as well then I very much doubt you have anything to worry about. There's probably a huge amount of songs out there (published or not) that feature an identical or very similar main riff to your own work.

Yeah, the Chilli Pepper's thing is what really got me thinking....and only a few people have mentioned the similarities, but we're playing a benefit this Saturday, our first gig after we performed in public the first time at an open mic night.....and we have to play 50 minutes to an hour which means we're playing almost every song we've written, we're playing 11 of our 14 songs so this one was kinda bugging me, but I'll definitely keep that in mind since our melody, drums, bass, and sound are all completely different. Thanks for your input.

JQ
Quote by pooch0072
read the FAQ

I didn't see this covered in the FAQs....am I missing something? Or is the FAQs to be taken literally and the only thing that can be posted here are actual written song lyrics? In that case.....

Me and my band at our first show
Three songs down, 8 more to go...

I started my riff and all I got was stares
indifferent faces, like no one cares....

Later that night, after 15 beers
at the end of the bar, a biker appears

"song #4 was one of your best,
too bad it sounds a little like 'Yes'...."

I'll work on the chorus later.....

JQ