Please excuse the possible noob-ness of this question... I've always been a rhythm player (five years) and I'm only just getting into lead gutiar playing. I'm doing ok and slowly learning to solo and building technique, but I was wondering, how do lead players get that amazingly smooth creamy tone out of their leads? You know, where it hardly sounds like a guitar any more? Guys like Anthrax and the virtuoso guys, how do they get that tone?

Is it just a really high-output neck pickup through a high gain amp with the mids cut?
I usually associate "creamy leads" with Slash.

So, low-output neck pickup, tone set to 0, into a medium-high-gain amp, with the EQs all set around 7.
no i don't think it comes by cutting the mids. a lot of players like clapton and slash use a "woman tone", where you use the neck pickup with the tone in 0.
Basically, IMO you want to use your neck pickup with quite high mids. Getting rid of some of the treble can make it sound a little smoother, but can sometimes make it sound too muddy or give a "filtered" sound which isn't always that nice. Fuzz pedals like the Big Muff can sound smoother than regular distortion, but then so can a nice overdriven tube amp.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Definetly overdrive, rather than distortion or fuzz, neck pickup which i actually set the tone at like 8, low highs, high mids and lows personally. I use neck pickup, tone at 8, on the amp i use low at 8, mid at 5 and high at around 6-7. Hope that helps
oh rite er, Bridge pickup, er i have a peavey bandit amp so i have a vintage switch anyway but er high trebles, like a 4 mid kinda thing and like 5 on the low...i think i dunno i think it'll work give it a blast.
aww yeah brilliant Bluewilliams i couldn't have put it better myself...........whatever
Quote by Diateo
aww yeah brilliant Bluewilliams i couldn't have put it better myself...........whatever

sorry...
....oh sorry if i hurt your feelings i thought you were joking, sorry man

Your right though, led zepplin and everyone uses/used that sorta thing, The Datsuns do as well
Last edited by Diateo at Jun 6, 2006,
Quote by Diateo
....oh sorry if i hurt your feelings i thought you were joking, sorry man

wow i was trying to find a tone like this after reading this thread an all i got was a good rythem tone........
Quote by Arlabester
you suck, emo rocks, case closed
If that's the case, i pretty much stand by what i said- lots of mids, not too much treble and lower the bass a bit as well. Try all your pickup combinations to see what works best for you, but i'd go with the neck pickup. A wah pedal set in a middy position can work wonders for your lead tone as well
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile