how important is knowing all the notes on the guitar, would it just be easier/quicker learning tabs the whole way through?
I don't know that many notes, just mostly fingerings, and sometimes not even that. It probably be quicker learning with knowing the notes...
Yep, if you can only play using tabs, you're a human player piano, not a guitarist.
Hi, I'm Peter
The more you know, the better off you are
Quote by BluE DicE
Smoking is basically cutting your lungs right? So does that kind of self injury make smokers emo? Discuss.
yea, if you dont want to be one of those poor bastards that people like me pick on cuz you act like you can play guitar realy well, and i say play a c and you look confused...do yourself a favor and learn as much as you can about guitar
Yeah, lot's of amazing guitarists dont know any theory.

That being said, learning it can only benifit you (especially if someone ever puts a piece of music in front of you and tells you to play)
If you want to go to college for guitars, then its needed because you sometimes have to tryout by sight reading a musical composition.
if you keep getting tabs youll pick up the chords pretty quick!!! and it is usually a good idea to learn them!
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.
Miles Davis
if you want to be able to mimic easy guitar parts go ahead, if you do that though you will never be able to write a piece, improvise, understand music theory, and actually know what you are playing. its really best to learn a combined theory and technique, and to get a music book to learn the basics before you start playing tabs all the time
UG's Official Tenacious D fan
so should i memorize the notes on the fretboard, but would it be alright if when i played i read tabs, because i find tabs soooo much easier to read, or should i take the time to learn to read the actual notation better?
I will go counter to conventional wisdom a bit.

First of all, anything you learn is always good, so by all means learn note names
on the fretboard if you want.

I'd say learning this is only critical if you need to read standard notation and/or
play classical.

For learning theory and improv, you don't need it very much. It's FAR more
important to see & understand relationships between notes, rather than absolute
note names. You need to know note names in so far as you need to find the
right key, but beyond that I doubt VERY much if note names go through anyone's
head while improvising.
yea thats a good point, I was talking to my buddy who is extremley good at guitar and asked him what all he knows about music theory, and he said barley any at all and he writes his own riffs and solos, but he has been playing for 10 years lol
Well, my experience is that it pays off to know as much as you possibly can about anything, especially something you're passionate about. Knowing the notes on a fretboard is invaluable, especially if you're going to be playing with other musicians. I was jamming with a piano player and bassist last week and felt like a fool when I had to sit and count out the different notes when we were trying to figure out the tonality of a riff so they could play along. Taking the "tabs only" approach to guitar playing leads to an incomplete guitarist. Don't make excuses why you shouldn't learn something.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by thegreatindoors
how important is knowing all the notes on the guitar?

essential to being a good musician.

i second that
Quote by BLS33
yea thats a good point, I was talking to my buddy who is extremley good at guitar and asked him what all he knows about music theory, and he said barley any at all and he writes his own riffs and solos, but he has been playing for 10 years lol

We weren't talking about theory.

We're talking about memorizing the notes on the fretboard. Entirely different
things. You DON'T need to memorize notes to know theory well.

Your buddy sounds like he has to sit down and figure out his riffs ahead of time
and write them down. Maybe he's even gotten good a "guessing" pretty quickly.

I've NEVER written anything ahead of time. I always make it up on the spot.
I both know what something is going to sound like and am surprised by what
comes out, but if I'm in any kind of "zone", it's all good. That's what improv
is about and that's where theory is critical.
Yes, notes are essential in learning other things like scales, solo's, chords, and so on and it's really not that hard to learn either.
Knowing the notes and reading standard notation do not need to go together.
You can know the notes on the fretboard and still use tablature. It will aid in your knowledge of what is going in a particular peice of music.

The more you know the better off you are.

DJ
Knowing the notes on a fretboard helped me master chords.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Quote by edg
We weren't talking about theory.

We're talking about memorizing the notes on the fretboard. Entirely different
things. You DON'T need to memorize notes to know theory well.

If you know where the notes are on the guitar than making up chords and using intervals (both which are a part of theory) can be done a lot easier.
To threadstarter: you should learn notes. it helps a lot with theory and progressing as a guitarist. good luck.

Edit: Your Best Friend is HERE
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jun 8, 2006,