So I broke my high E string.

So last Saturday I bought some .12s, because I read in a interview with Pete Townshend that that was what he uses, and I'm a huge Pete fan (as the sig would imply), so I decided to go for it.

I'm very new to guitar, so I don't know all the things you have to worry about.

Today this came up in conversation with a far more experienced friend of mine, and he said that I may have messed up my truss rod quite badly, and he's surprised that my guitar hasn't broken already.

I tuned down every string a half-step to release some of the tension.

The kicker is that I'm not allowed out of the house because I just got my wisdom teeth out, so I can't bring it to a guitar store to have it checked out until the end of the week.

I've examined it pretty thoroughly, and I can't see any warping or anything visual like that.

Anybody have any suggestions about what else I can do / look for?

...Please don't yell at me.

EDIT: p.s. I looked in the string changing thread, and couldn't find anything, but if there is something there and I just missed it, if someone could just post the link that would be helpful
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
What guage did you have on there before?
The main problem, other than your truss rod needing to be adjusted, would be intonation. This can easily be adjusted.
I don't think that your truss rod would be very seriously damaged by changing the guage of your strings marginally.

DJ
And what kind of guitar you may have?
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
DJ
They were the set from the factory, and I believe they guy I bought it from said .10s.
What do you mean by intonation?

Cynoxx
Epiphone Sheraton II

Last.fm
Your friend is an absolute and utter idiot. And you can tell him I said that. If he's got beef, we'll meet outside after school.

The blind should not lead the blind out into traffic.

Anyway... When you change string guage, you may need to make a truss rod adjustment to make sure it's giving the proper counter tension. If it's not tight enough, the strings will pull your neck and make the bow too deep. Changing string guage will NOT ruin your truss rod or your neck. For your friend to say that is idiocy. And think about it, how did Pete Townshend use .12s if it automatically results in the destruction of your neck? Anyway, do you know how to measure neck relief?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Your friend is an absolute and utter idiot. And you can tell him I said that. If he's got beef, we'll meet outside after school.

The blind should not lead the blind out into traffic.

Anyway... When you change string guage, you may need to make a truss rod adjustment to make sure it's giving the proper counter tension. If it's not tight enough, the strings will pull your neck and make the bow too deep. Changing string guage will NOT ruin your truss rod or your neck. For your friend to say that is idiocy. And think about it, how did Pete Townshend use .12s if it automatically results in the destruction of your neck? Anyway, do you know how to measure neck relief?

No, I haven't the faintest idea how to measure neck relief.

In his defense, I think he (my friend) meant that I needed to get the guitar set up for .12s before putting them on right away...

Last.fm
Quote by rocknroll blues
In his defense, I think he (my friend) meant that I needed to get the guitar set up for .12s before putting them on right away...

If he meant that, he's still stupid, because you don't know what your guitar will do until after you put the strings on. Here's something... Put it back up to concert pitch. Play it. If nothing's out of whack, don't worry about neck relief. If you hear buzzing that wasn't there before, or if the strings seem higher than normal, let us know.

Oh, BTW, Desk is correct. You should check your intonation. It's the process of making sure the harmonic on the 12th fret is the same note as the fretted note on the 12th fret. If it's not, you need to adjust the horizontal screw on the bridge to move the saddle backwards or forwards.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 6, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
If he meant that, he's still stupid, because you don't know what your guitar will do until after you put the strings on. Here's something... Put it back up to concert pitch. Play it. If nothing's out of whack, don't worry about neck relief. If you hear buzzing that wasn't there before, or if the strings seem higher than normal, let us know.

Oh, BTW, Desk is correct. You should check your intonation. It's the process of making sure the harmonic on the 12th fret is the same note as the fretted note on the 12th fret. If it's not, you need to adjust the horizontal screw on the bridge to move the saddle backwards or forwards.

Okay, so I brought it back up to standard tuning, in the process breaking my high E string. Again. Christ Almighty...

Nevertheless, there wasn't any buzzing, and I don't think the strings were any higher than they were before.

I checked the intonation on each of the strings - except high E, obviously - and the harmonics and fretted notes sounded the same to me, and I tend to have a pretty good ear, if I do say so myself, so hopefully nothing too terrible has happened.

Last.fm
Quote by Dirk Gently
Where does that high E keep breaking?

This most recent time was up at the tuning peg, as was the first time, I believe.

Last.fm
Make sure you're not tuning too fast. This can cause some MAJOR problems, as for you, break a string. Just tune it slowly if thats what you are doing. Other than that, the string shouldn't be breaking.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
When I changed from 10's to 13's I had no problem. Recently I've got minor neck warpage. It's not enough to affect anything, and I'll probably adjust it when I change my strings, but recently I've been going Crazy with tunings, 5 steps down AAADCF GAGDBE ect. So I'm not suprised my neck hasn't pulled the pretzle act yet.
Quote by rocknroll blues
This most recent time was up at the tuning peg, as was the first time, I believe.

Check the nut; make sure it's not binding up anywhere. See if there are any sharp edges on your tuning peg. Also, when in the tuning process do you tune your high E?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Check the nut; make sure it's not binding up anywhere. See if there are any sharp edges on your tuning peg. Also, when in the tuning process do you tune your high E?

It was the first string I put on, because it was the only one that had broken. What do you mean by "binding up"?

Last.fm
Take a length of the string that's broken. Try to slide it through the groove in the nut. Is it catching anywhere or moving smoothly?
Hi, I'm Peter
And think about it, how did Pete Townshend use .12s if it automatically results in the destruction of your neck?

By...I don't know...having the truss rod adjusted. Which is a very good idea when switching to a substancially different string guage.
Quote by Archeo Avis
By...I don't know...having the truss rod adjusted. Which is a very good idea when switching to a substancially different string guage.

Reading comprehension skills are our friends. That was a rhetorical question pointing out that his friend's suggestion that switching string guage would destroy his neck was retarded.
Hi, I'm Peter
Dirk is right here geez, his friend is pretty dumb, he said it would break the neck and even if it did warp the neck at all it would be very, very suttle, and you probably have a sharp nut or tuning peg, new strings need to stretch out a little bit so you need to tune very slowly at first