I play bass and i was wondering if I should learn guitar chords. Just to know them or would it help? Thanks.
Deffinetly! A lot of bass progressions are the same as barre chords on guitar. Plus, it's always a good idea to broaden your horizons
Quote by Zawa122188
metz has it right man

Member of CRM (Classic Rock Movement)
PM ZeppelinFan3890 for info or to join

+ =

Member of the UG Conservative Party. PM cagnius to join.
Quote by El Codyo
Chords sound horrible on a bass, but learning the progressions would help you alot.

just the deeper part of the spectrum. you should try chords, although double stops are cooler sounding, IMO.
Aren't double stops just octaves on bass?

Anyway, I was messing around today, and I think that some chord progressions actually sound more interesting on bass than guitar.
Quote by fleaflicker182
I personally don't think chords sound bad on the bass. I usually don't go further than a 3 note chord, though. I would go as far to say you should get a really cheap classical and learn chords on that.

anything less than 3 notes isn't a chord.

Quote by opivy21
Aren't double stops just octaves on bass?

Anyway, I was messing around today, and I think that some chord progressions actually sound more interesting on bass than guitar.

doublestops are two notes played at the same time... not a chord, not necessarily octaves (infact, an octave is the same note twice not two notes, so an octave and its root... isn't a doublestop.)

Learning all you can about music will help you play bass better. It'd be best to learn the theory behind chord construction too, but the place to start for that is still your basic chord shapes.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
doublestops are two notes played at the same time... not a chord, not necessarily octaves (infact, an octave is the same note twice not two notes, so an octave and its root... isn't a doublestop.)

Learning all you can about music will help you play bass better. It'd be best to learn the theory behind chord construction too, but the place to start for that is still your basic chord shapes.

basic chord shape theory helps tremendously with double stops, which usually are the 3rd and 5th of the chord. then again, your scales are the roots of your chords, so learn your scales too.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
3rd & 5th?

when the 3rd & 5th of a chord are alone, you look at the 3rd... and it is the 1.

Most doublestops are the root and third of the chord. 3rd & 5th alone would make it a different chord.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!