Has anyone here on UG experienced problems with The G string on a gibson sg? ive heard that something is wrong with the guitar and the g string gets out of tune all the time
no... more like the G-string on every guitar. Mostly unwond G's, something about them is just crazy.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
yeah, the g string is a pain in the @$$ on all guitars. But i use 13 gauge flat wound, so i dont have as much as a problem
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

You can just buy a compensated nut and all your problems disappear.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
You don't need a 'compensated nut'.

Just make sure the bridge intonation is OK (the little adjustable bit the string goes over) and don't worry about it.

'G' strings often sound 'funny' because it's the first string that isn't 'wound', it's no biggie really (so long as the actual intonation is sound).

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (009 to 046 or whatever) and NEVER have tuning problems with my SG, and it's a very old SG too...
Quote by CherrySG72
You don't need a 'compensated nut'.

Just make sure the bridge intonation is OK (the little adjustable bit the string goes over) and don't worry about it.

The G string will go sharp when fretted, it doesn't matter how perfect your intonation. That's what the compensated nut is for.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Compensated nuts are your best choice, that's what I did and my G String is always sounding in tune, Buying a wound G-String will also do the job, but I don't really like the feel heavy strings give off. But if you're short on cash, just buy a woung G-String, installing a compensated nut can cost from $30-$50 depending if the nut fits on your guitar.

https://vapor.liquidweb.com/~earvana/shop/products_new.php?products_id=30
http://www.earvana.com/
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
The G string will go sharp when fretted, it doesn't matter how perfect your intonation. That's what the compensated nut is for

People (Angus, Tony, Zal, shall I go on....?) have been using the SG without the compensated nutsac for, oh, I dunno, 30 odd years...

Really.

Music's an art, not a science.

C72
It's not just the SG, it's any guitar that uses an unwound G string.

If you think that all the notes that those people have played were all perfectly in tune, you're delusional.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by CherrySG72
The G string will go sharp when fretted, it doesn't matter how perfect your intonation. That's what the compensated nut is for

People (Angus, Tony, Zal, shall I go on....?) have been using the SG without the compensated nutsac for, oh, I dunno, 30 odd years...

Really.

Music's an art, not a science.

C72

It's not the SG specificlly, every guitar will have a slightly #G-String, it's not a dramatic sharp that is noticable, it just goes slightly sharp when fretted, that is why people still use an SG, or any guitar without a compensated nut. The compensated nut just helps the G sound in tune when fretted, but it's nothing that is required on every guitar to stay perfectly in tune, it's just for those who have OCC, such as myself and can't stand to have a string slightly out of tune.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
i have sort of a similar problem, my G-string doesnt necessarily go sharp, its just REEEEALY sensative to the tuner. like ill just turn the tuner the tiniest bit and it will go waaay sharp or waay flat. is that normal too, or is it my tuners or somethin?
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
i have sort of a similar problem, my G-string doesnt necessarily go sharp, its just REEEEALY sensative to the tuner. like ill just turn the tuner the tiniest bit and it will go waaay sharp or waay flat. is that normal too, or is it my tuners or somethin?

hmmm i dont get that problem on mine either