Our marching band is lacking a large amount of tubas, so they have me playing bass on the sidelines. The only problem is, I dont have an amp that will be able to produce a good sound around the football field. I dont need to drown out the band or anything, I just need to be heard.

I'm on a $600 USD budget that will get me a good sound. Because I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to lower my volume and such once my band starts playing in the small to medium gigs.

I've been looking at a GK BLXII 4x10 with a Backline 600 head.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-410BLXII-4-x-10-Bass-Cabinet?sku=601054
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-600-Bass-Head?sku=482534

So, should I go with this, or keep saving, or look into something different?

Thanks, peace.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Before you spent a lot of money one question; did you test this arrangement? I'd borrow a powerfull amp first to figure out the feasability of it all. Balancing out brass instruments is already a challenge when everybody is stationary on a stage or in a studio. Having them marching around while you remain stationary, being in the open air with the audience at a wild variety of distances and directions, makes it very hard if not impossible.
Perhaps it will be a better solution to order some trumpetteers to become tuba players. After all it's common practice in the rock and roll world to force the least of the guitarists in a band to play bass, so why would this be different in a marching band?
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Before you spent a lot of money one question; did you test this arrangement? I'd borrow a powerfull amp first to figure out the feasability of it all. Balancing out brass instruments is already a challenge when everybody is stationary on a stage or in a studio. Having them marching around while you remain stationary, being in the open air with the audience at a wild variety of distances and directions, makes it very hard if not impossible.
Perhaps it will be a better solution to order some trumpetteers to become tuba players. After all it's common practice in the rock and roll world to force the least of the guitarists in a band to play bass, so why would this be different in a marching band?

I havent been able to try out these rigs, because I really have no idea what I'm doing.
now, this is just a high school marching band, so our trumpet players really dont care about the band in general. They just want to play their damn trumpet. And we've tried gettin em to switch, but they refuse to. so we're kinda screwed.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
For a cabinet I HIGHLY recommend Avatar. So does nearly everybody else who has one of their cabs.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

You could easily get a 4x10 shipped for less than the price of that GK cab (check out eBay - they usually have a cab or two listed. New, of course, straight from the company).

And then look around eBay for a decent head.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!