Hey, I know you people get these kinda threads a lot but I jst had to get other people's opinions before I took a decision. I'm jst starting out on bass and wld be using it mainly for recording purposes (am a guitarist otherwise). My budget is around 300-350$. The styles of music I play - Metal, Punk, Hardcore & a little Funk.

So far I've been looking at the Peavey Millenium 5s (I tune my guitar to A/A#) . Should I jst go with one of these? Also, is it worth spending the extra 100$ for the AC BXP?

Thx in advance!
Hi,
well, I think most all Peavey Basses are very good beginner/entry level basses so I think either would be a good choice...However, I looked at both basses - the Millenium and the Millenium AC BXP - and I compared the specs of each...So, both are made of basswood (which is ok) and the necks are the standard combo of maple and rosewood, so the woods arent going to be a huge difference between the 2 basses, of course the basswood of the AC BXP will probably be better than that of the normal Millenium (think Squier Affinity Strats and Squier Standard Strats)...And the AC BXP has 21 frets while the normal Millenium has 20, if that matters to you...Anyways, almost everything about these 2 basses is pretty much identical...Except for one BIG thing...The pickups and the onboard EQ...

The Millenium has standard noname single coil pickups...Sure the single coils are a bit more versatile than the humbuckers on the AC BXP but that is a moot point when you take into consideration the AC BXP's onboard active 3-band EQ...BTW the humbuckers on the AC BXP are also another plus for you because of the style of music you play, you probably already figured this out though, as the same thing applies with guitar...And the 3 Band EQ is a great tool to have when you are recording direct (without an amp)...It lets you really shape your own tone and is a big plus for you, I think...

So, I'd say the AC BXP is worth the extra 100 bucks for the VFL Humbucker pickups (similar to the ones on Peavey Cirrus basses which are really good basses) and the 3 band active EQ with the pickup blend knob (similar to a tone knob, another knob thats helpful in constructing your tone) and you should go for the Peavey Millenium AC BXP...

hope this helps
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 8, 2006,
Thx a lot for the replies!

I'll go with the AC BXP then.

Edit: Just one last query. I keep reading that due to the Millenium AC BXP having a 34" scale the B wld be extremely floppy. Is this a major problem?
Last edited by Pussyfoot at Jun 9, 2006,
^yea what he said...Just give the bass a good setup (or give it to a guitar tech guy at a shop for a setup) and maybe put a higher gauge string on the B so that it adds more tension...Then the B will not be as floppy...However, I've played quite a few Peavey Milleniums and I have to say the low B strings are not all that floppy (when compared to other not-so-good entry level 5 strings *cough* Rogue), of course they are floppy but its nothing to worry about...It will still play well...

<EDIT> And I forgot that you droptune one step...If so, I suggest placing heavy gauge strings on to replace all 5 of the stock strings just so the strings will feel a little tenser and tighter because when you droptune bass strings you can really feel the difference...But the normal strings droptuned may not bother you so you can do it either way you want...Just keep this in mind...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jun 9, 2006,