Well i play bass with my fingers now been doin it for a month now instead of the pick.
But my fingers hurt like hell man and i get this... what is it called you kknow it looks like bubbles.
Is there anything that you can defend youself againt this ****?
nope natural, keep with it and eventually youll be a finger machine. No pain no gain
What do you mean "it looks like bubbles?"
Proud member of The Bass Militia! PM IndieMetalhead to join!

Quote by Fast_Bear
You know your a Bassist when you practice near the ocean, and whales respond.
yeah and the blisters will from calises just like your fretting hand on your guitar
...why did you pick in the first place?
slash...he's all like... wow
They become callouses after a while.

In the mean time you can show them to your friends and say you played eruption on your bass.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by coady911
yeah and the blisters will from calises just like your fretting hand on your guitar
...why did you pick in the first place?

I picked in the first place because i could play faster with the pick.
For instance Metallicas whiplash which i cant play with my fingers but i practice the **** out of myself now.

Anyways so i guess it's just to bite the bullet.

Oh anyways thanks guys.
I thought I had callouses. My workout nvolved playing faster songs with either finger throughout at the bridge (hella tight there). Built the strength and hard callous.

...But then I tried the contrabass...

The entire upper phalanx of especially the middle finger was one huge blister... Ouch.
^welcome to the world of upright
I don't play it anymore, but I remember that in the beginning it was really hurting... But that will stop...eventually
Try playing with two fingers, or more with the 'side' of the finger instead of the tip of the finger... (for upright that is)

For the topicstarter: hang in there and keep practicing... Your fingers will get used to it and form callouses. And when you have blisters: DON'T pop them... just let them dry out. You can tape your fingers with medical tape (not a band aid, medical tape) to protect the blisters from bursting open whilst playing... But I suggest you only do that when you need to play (like a gig or something) and let your fingers rest for a while...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Man now the finger hurt really bad.
I think ill take a pause for a while.
While we are at it got any tips how you can make the bass sound louder with the fingers.
I try to hit them harder but it slows me down.
use this time to either work your other fingers, 2nd and 3rd, or use a pick. Or practice your left hand tapping. There are things to still do !
turn your amp up?

I play very softly with my fingers so I have dynamics to spare when I need them...
I make it sound louder with my amp, that's what it's made for (hence amplifier...)
I used to have a very agressive fingerstyle, but that gave me a horrible sound so I changed my style. Also play with the possition of your fingers... Near the bridge gives you a clearer sound, near the neck a more bassy sound, wich tends to appear louder...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Quote by FunkMaster
turn your amp up?

Indeed. Let your amp do the work, not your fingers. Anyone trying to play fast 32nds will know you just cannot attack the strings that hard. I learnt this lesson when i was learning Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Try playing that with a heavy attack, you wont get passed the first verse !
Quote by FunkMaster
^welcome to the world of upright

i thought i had some thick callouses then i started upright. oooh, that was pain.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by Applehead
I learnt this lesson when i was learning Stockholm Syndrome by Muse. Try playing that with a heavy attack, you wont get passed the first verse !

Actually, I did manage to get all the way through playing that with a heavy attack. I regretted it though afterwards... *pain*

Also, if your blisters are big enough (> 0.4cm thick) just take a sterile needle and make a few holes, drain out all the nasty stuff inside and then dip your fingertip in rubbing alcohol. A day or so later it'll have hardened and thsi will protect your fingers from then on. Just be careful not to stop playing with your fingers for a while or these will go and you'll have ot do it again. I remember after going on holiday for two weeks I had to regain my callouses - not very fun.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
You guys sure are helpfull, thank you once again.
Sure i can turn up my amp but then it echoes.
I seriously dont know how the amplifier works thou i have played a long time.
This treble, middle and etc.
you mean it gives you feedback? First time I hear about that... I can get my amp to feedback, but then I have to get really close to the cab, or let the bass make contact with the amp/cab...
Quote by John Swift

Quote by crazypeanutman
i thought i had some thick callouses then i started upright. oooh, that was pain.

I wanted to play upright for a while, but now I'm not so sure...
you should go for it, really... You can learn new things from it, and apply it on electrical bass... And nothing can beat the charm of an upright.
Quote by John Swift

Uprights are incredibly cool, especially when you spin em' after a kick solo. Ive been playin one for school for 6 years and I get heavy blisters like every 6 months, but by now they are my friends.
I see when people use their fingers they locate they thumbs one string over the played string.
Is this something a bassist should practice or is it just a coincidence?
Quote by FunkMaster
And when you have blisters: DON'T pop them... just let them dry out.

When i used to get blisters i popped them and im fine now. (*rubs hideously demorphed fingers*)
I ususally do the thing where i rest my hand one string over the one im palying. I dont think it is approved but its something that suits my style so i keep doin it.

i think you should just experiment and see what feels good to you
I have been playing for around 5 years and still get blisters when i do too much slap or when i go to hardcore ( not hardcore music but just get really in the moment if u konw what i mean). pop them, it takes too long to heal if u dont lol. i have had my hands bleed at on gig, shiit that hurt haha
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
I haven't had blisters or callouses...ever...and been playing for two years fingerstyle. Is there something wrong with me?
Quote by HorridxHopes
I haven't had blisters or callouses...ever...and been playing for two years fingerstyle. Is there something wrong with me?

your not hard core man
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...