how does it seem that some guitarists go from a clean sound right into heavy overdrive and distortion? i see these live videos where players will be doing a nice clean rhythm, into the heavy chorus and it goes seemlessly to overdriven sound. how does this happen?
distortion pedal? (not being sarcastic) thats the best answer I can come up with. Or they can store the settings in the amp and change with a foot switch
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Yeah a stomp box or some kind of distortion pedal.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
Just plug ur guitar into one of these, http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSDS1, and then this into ur amp. Have it off, play some clean, step on the pedal and BOOM, distortion. U can get overdrive ones too and etc etc....
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
They just use a footswitch. Most bigger amps come with them. It switches fromt eh clean channel to the overdrive channel. One tap of the foot and they go from sparkling cleans to screaming distortion.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Um.

In the recording studio they might have used like fifteen different pedals and stuff to achieve their 'sound'.

In a video they're just going to make it look like that's what they do, without even looking at an aftermarket effects unit... But of course they're actually just miming to their record there, not really playing anything.

"On Stage" (like Metallica at the Phoenix Concert at Wembly Stadium) they really have "roadies" and such to run about and change the "effects" thereby making the band seem "very professional")...

I shall now duck, avoiding the cyber-metallica's cyber brickbats...

c72.
Willmac's an ass...
^Completely true.

You know what that means. YOU NEED SOME ROADIES!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Look at the amp. See that dude playing with it as the tone changes? We call those roadies. They jsut need to flip the switch and they have distortion.
Dickless.
what if u own a cube 30 (will purchase in 2 days hopefully) with built in distortion, so will it probably come with a pedal or footswitch? if anybody knows
Quote by breakstuff
what if u own a cube 30 (will purchase in 2 days hopefully) with built in distortion, so will it probably come with a pedal or footswitch? if anybody knows

no its most likely a button or switch on the amp
Last edited by Guitaraphone06 at Jun 7, 2006,
what are you talking about? bands use multiple amps and switchers or pedalboards live.