so mine came in today......wow this thing is great, i still can't believe i only paid 99 bucks for it. Anyone who doesnt have one needs one, theres no reason not to own one.

so at 9 o'clock, its just a standard clean tone pretty much, sparkly but not enough treble IMO

put it an 12 o'clock and it has begun to break up, sounds really good with strummed chords

3 o' clock and this thing really starts to shine, you start getting almost acdc tones, once again sounds best with strummed chords but still great with single notes and solo's

when you dime it (which you can, its not INCREDIBLY loud) it sounds phenomenal, it just drips tone for anything up to hard rock, but its pushing metal (very very close to crazy train sound)

i play it thru a crate 1 12 with a celestion g12k 100 watt and it sounds amazing......

pics as promised

(notice the volume knob.....hehe
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Wow that's neat! I've never seen one before. Aren't they only like 100 bucks?
^ yea its just a head......and yes they are 100 bucks well worth it too
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by long gone
u need a speaker for it?

Yeah, it's only a head, there's a combo version also for about 140 I believe.
So this thing let's you achieve a tube-like distortion? And with the cab is it loud? How about pedals..does it take to them well?
^ yea, cranking it gives you pefect tube crunch and its not super loud......only 5 watts so its good......with my cab its not too loud, you could probably get over drums with it but doubt gigging.......maybe with a 4 12.......and it does take pedals pretty good, my wah sounded amazing

ill get sound clips up tommorow.....everyone is asleep at my house so i dont want to wake them up
Quote by R_H_C_P

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Last edited by V12prowler at Jun 6, 2006,
i just plugged mine into my combo amp. after i added a speaker input.

it takes pedals pretty well. it is loud. and its easy to overdrive cause its only 5W tube.

yep. ^ probably over drums but a full band would be tough.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
can u use a head on another modeling amp (using the modeling amp as a speaker)??

noobish ? i kno
Yea I was wondering how loud you could get it to go. Cause I figure with a 4x12 cab + an overdriven head you could easily achieve a sound loud enough to play in a band no? For $100 it's definetly worth the shot.
^ eh.....im not sure, maybe MAYBE with a 4 X12 but dont hold me to that.

its still very much worth it to have one
Quote by R_H_C_P

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by long gone
can u use a head on another modeling amp (using the modeling amp as a speaker)??

i added an input and play mine thru a combo.
BUT u dont use the combos effects or inputs. just its speaker. to play thru it, u dont even plug the combo into the wall.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jsxxx
Yea I was wondering how loud you could get it to go. Cause I figure with a 4x12 cab + an overdriven head you could easily achieve a sound loud enough to play in a band no? For $100 it's definetly worth the shot.

its pretty loud, and yes over drums but itll be really hard over full band.
like said, depends on ur band.

its louder than my 25W practice amp, And sounds better at that loud volume because u can crank a tube and solid states break up after 4 or 5.

but if uve ever tried to use even a 30W amp over a drum, u know u get pretty lost sometimes.

so pick up two epi heads.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Plugged into a 412 it might not be quite as loud. It would project better, though.

I think.
Sounds quite interesting. Any online stores in europe that sell 'em maybe?
Quote by idontloveyou
oh my.
you poor soul.
i'll go and slit my wrists for you so you dont have to.

Wow, nice.

I'm hoping to pick one up after my exams are over. Just for fun, and to get a feel for valve amps and their natural breakup, before I go for a bigger valve amp.

Any idea if the combo is "worth it" compared to the head?

The head isn't available in the UK, but the combo is £99.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
which model epi combo is it? that seems like its too expensive.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

^ The valve junior. £99 - too expensive?

Things are always cheaper in America tho, and since Epi is an American company... it makes sense. Plus there's the exchange rate to think about.

It seems like a pretty reasonable price for the combo.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
yea, i know the exchange, but using conversion, its closer to $200USD and our combo costs around $140USD.

i wasnt 100% sure if it was the same model cause i know they have others. i was just asking. because i didnt want to just guess that the difference was shipping/taxes.

anyway, im not crazy about the combos, they used to have a buzzing problem, fixed in 12/05 and later models.
i would have thought about getting one, but wasnt sure id get one that was fixed, u know?

also cause i know i could use my 50W speaker for about $4. and a little solder.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

damn, im really interested in this! I wanna get the head version since i already havce a 4x12 cab to hook it up. I already have an ibanez TS9 so, if i ere to get this, put the TS9 infornt of it, and cranked it to the max at band practice could i get a decent metal sound? I really want a tube amp (im getting a mesa dual rec but thats in december) so would the valve junior head + TS9 + 4x12 be good for metal? right now im running a behringer xvamp on a mesa simulation thru an MG15 thru a 4x12, so imguessing the tube epi will be better yes?
I've read a few reviews on HC and it seems they've got the buzzing problem fixed.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=epiphone+valve&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range

I've just noticed it's gone down to £89 - which is a little more reasonable. It's about $165 (from just looking it up).
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
sounds cool. u can mod the combos pretty easily too. run them thru a cab if u wanted.
if i didnt have access to a head, i probably would have bought the combo.

i had a link where a guy stacked up two combos and ran them thru his cab, but i cant find it now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Is the only difference between the head and the combo the speaker?
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
well if they fixed the hum, then yes pretty much.
im not pretending to be an amp expert tho, far from it.

found the link...
http://www.valvejunior.com/
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Jun 7, 2006,
Quote by jj1565
well if they fixed the hum, then yes pretty much.
im not pretending to be an amp expert tho, far from it.

found the link...
http://www.valvejunior.com/

Thanks for the link Jenny, although a lot of it went over my head it was cool to see the valve juniors being used like that.

I was gonna talk about an ABY switch here but the post got a little too in-depth, so I posted a seperate thread here.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by Dyaxe666
damn, im really interested in this! I wanna get the head version since i already havce a 4x12 cab to hook it up. I already have an ibanez TS9 so, if i ere to get this, put the TS9 infornt of it, and cranked it to the max at band practice could i get a decent metal sound? I really want a tube amp (im getting a mesa dual rec but thats in december) so would the valve junior head + TS9 + 4x12 be good for metal? right now im running a behringer xvamp on a mesa simulation thru an MG15 thru a 4x12, so imguessing the tube epi will be better yes?

You would probably need another pedal to compliment the TS-9, probably the boss SD-1.
So how would you compare this to some solid state amps?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60