Just out of curiosity is it normal for me to have problems downpicking the verse riff of master of puppets, for some reason i cant do it and alternate picking doesn't sound right. oddly enough the pre-verse spider riff which i think is faster i can downpick. is this abnormal?
its all normal...takes alot of time practicing before you can play through it all with no trouble
You're gonna see that alot of soloists have trouble going back to MOP because they're all alternative picking, so keep practising those downpicks.
#2 member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

PM Davidian to join.

Quote by potassium_39
dude your a walking talking metal making expert!!!

i bet this person sucks so bad emo people laugh

^0wned^
I don't understand why people want to downpick MoP so bad. I mean I know Metallica uses mostly downpicks but imho alternate picking (or better yet economy picking) is a 'better' technique and by practicing only downpicking your teaching yourself a bad habit. (When I just started playing guitar I used only downstrokes and it took me some time to force myself to also use upstrokes so I could move on to more difficult songs that really require it). Also I can't really hear the diffrence between MoP alternate picked, economy picked or downpicked. (except ofcourse when let say the downstrokes are performed flawlessly and the upstrokes are still a bit sloppy because the person in question isn't used to them.) Btw I'm talking about the picking of a single string, if you pick a chord or powerchord you can ofcourse hear the difference. So in sort just use alternate / economy picking. It will make the song easier and it will still sound just a good imho and it will be good for your playing technique in general.

Just my two cents anyway, please don't start a flamewar :P
Last edited by Dardarian at Jun 7, 2006,
I agree with the above completely - the actual sound of one single note is not affected by which way you pick it hence alt picking on MOP is good until powerchords.
i alt pick it:s:s....if i down pick ill break my strings
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
^ - get thicker strings (i used to have the same problems nothing but .70 - .11's now) as for alt/economy picking vs downpick..... yes there is a difference, for some reason (im not too great at physics, so don't ask me why) but you get more of a chunk out of down picking, i've done both enough to know they have their own unique characteristics, now if you tweek the eq right, you might not be able to tell the difference initially, but it is there.
Quote by z4twenny
^ - get thicker strings (i used to have the same problems nothing but .70 - .11's now

What strings are those. They sound pretty sweet.
Quote by Dardarian
practicing only downpicking your teaching yourself a bad habit.

That is correct. Learning ONLY downpicking is not gonna do you a favor, but don't dismiss downpicking just because you're also going to learn alternative picking. You don't have to choose just one, you can practise both. And in a lot of rock songs the right thing to do is to downpick. Alot of magazines and proffesional teachers say so. It's very common in rock music. Btw, I'm not flaming, I completely respect your opinion.

You should downpick the intro to Highway Star, for example. You don't have to, but if you want it to sound right, that's the way to go. You have a choice of course, and there's no right way to do it. But if you want MOP to sound the best, you'll downpick.
#2 member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

PM Davidian to join.

Quote by potassium_39

^0wned^
I actually have a recording where they play the song even faster than on the album. It's so fast that it cuts off a minute. That's fast! It's from Cliff Burton's last show, too.

PM Davidian to join.

Quote by potassium_39

^0wned^