i gotta do this jazz band thing at my school and im wondering what scale i should use. the music says to use a penatatonic f blues scale but its kinda boring so any ideas?
do more with less
log y^2 = c+log x
log 4 = c + log 4
c=0

log y^2 = log x
y^2 = x
y = x^(1/2)
well im not that familar with scales but for jazz i use the C major scale and it has a couple panatonics and major and minor sweeps so if you want to impress some one put some sweeps in the song your playin and yes sweeps are used in jazz for all the retards that want to say diffrent
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Quote by oscar7557
well im not that familar with scales but for jazz i use the C major scale and it has a couple panatonics and major and minor sweeps so if you want to impress some one put some sweeps in the song your playin and yes sweeps are used in jazz for all the retards that want to say diffrent

Ok, number one, pentatonic scales are just abridged versions of major scales and minor scales. A major scale can't have "sweeps" especially minor sweeps. Sweeping is a technique, it has nothing to do with what scale you are playing.

Back to the threadstarter, try using the pentatonic scale, it doesn't have to be boring, plus it's jazz so you can throw in some weird notes. I play in my school's jazz band and love it when I get to just improv something. The band director probably has a recording of the song, or you can download most of them from the publisher's site. Get a recording and work some licks out.
Mixilodian(sp?) and phrygian are good too.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
ok what i meant was arpegios and you can sweep them
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
Aeolian and Mixolydian modes to spice up pentatonic scales.

If you're serious about jazz, you'll want to buckle down and study theory until your eyes and fingers bleed.

Good Luck with your concert.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free