What are the essentials that i need to learn as far as theory goes, right now im memorizing notes, and working on scales, trying to build speed and strength, what else should i learn?

im also working on some chords but im having trouble transitioning, even when its pretty easy like just sliding down a couple frets, my pinky always slips off, just need more practice?

i've been playing for about 5 days now lol
Learn how the Chromatic Scale and Major Scales are constructed, and some basic terminology. Whole Notes/Half Notes=Full Tones/Semi-Tones=Whole Steps/Half Steps=Two Frets/One Fret. The Chromatic Scale goes one half note (semi-tone, half step, one fret) at a time up each string. At the twelfth fret you're back at the beginning note of the string. Going up the fretboard on a string you use sharps in the places between whole notes. Going back down the fretboard on a string you use flats in the places between whole notes. A major scale goes whole note, whole note, half note, whole note, whole note, whole note, half note, then repeat. Every note is a whole note away from the next note EXCEPT from B to C and E to F. So when you're going up a string there are no sharps between B and C and E and F. When going back down the string, there are no flats between B and C and E and F. So, if you want to sharp a note you go up one fret; if you want to flat a note you go down one fret. That's some basic information. When you get to using barre chords these patterns will also hold true, especially for barre chords in the E and A shapes: e.g. an open E chord is 022100, a barred F is 133211, a barred F# (or Gb) is 244322, a G is 355433, etc.; an open A is X02220, a barred Bb (or A#) is X13331, a barred B is X24442, a barred C is X35553, etc. The numbers indicate which frets from the nut at the top of the guitar you hold down to make the chord. Probably too much to dump on you to start. Maybe more confusing than anything else. You have good practice habits, doing both scales and chords. Not unusual to have trouble getting used to changing chords. You can mute the strings by letting your fingers off the fretboard but keeping your fingers on the strings to let up on tension in your hand when sliding your hand up and down the fretboard, unless you want the sound to carry when sliding. Good start, good questions. Good luck. I'm sure others will have better suggestions and info for you.
Last edited by gmsje at Jun 7, 2006,
that was great, thanks for taking the time to write that up, that really helped me alot and i've been reading about the terminology so it all makes sense. but you put it into better much words then those books thanks!

Quote by gmsje
You can mute the strings by letting your fingers off the fretboard but keeping your fingers on the strings to let up on tension in your hand when sliding your hand up and down the fretboard, unless you want the sound to carry when sliding. Good start, good questions. Good luck. I'm sure others will have better suggestions and info for you.

and that helped alot in the chords i was transitioning from, because i was keeping tension while sliding down the fretboard which would make my pinky slip and cause
Glad to help. Nice to know some of my sh*t makes sense to others sometimes. Boogie on!