it seems that everyone these days is looking for an amp with tons of gain, but often, these amps are said to have terrible cleans... to me it seems like it would make sense to buy an amp with good cleans, and then use that as a foundation for your sound, and use pedals to get a more distorted tone. am i wrong? to me it seems like you would get a better distorted tone because the clean channels sound would still influence your overdrive.
tu estas muy intelligente

yeah thats the idea, base it off a very good clean amp

-guitarshark
Quote by Mad Marius
Because there's no point in being on the Internet of you're not gonna act like an arrogant prick.
I have yet to hear a pedal that can replicate a high end gainy tube amp.

Cleans should be used for cleans, and the dirty channels should be used to dirty. When you feed distortion pedals through a clean channel, there's none of that dirty attitude.
Amp distortion is really sought after (thats what the pedals try to re-create).

So its a better tone (because the amp is tube, hopefully). Not a terrible idea its just you usually dont need extreme squeeky cleans if your playing stuff that heavy anyway
Quote by JET116
Amp distortion is really sought after (thats what the pedals try to re-create).

So its a better tone (because the amp is tube, hopefully). Not a terrible idea its just you usually dont need extreme squeeky cleans if your playing stuff that heavy anyway

i understand that you dont need great cleans i was just wondering, because by my logic, the overdrive would sound better with a strong clean foundation... oh well, i could be wrong, i was just wondering
thats pretty much my whole idea with my setup.
My styles always gonna change, but at least ill always have a good clean to build off of.
Fender '82 Walnut Strat
Fender '65 Twin Reverb Reissue
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
EHX English Muff'n
Boss DD-6
Quote by Mascot
I have yet to hear a pedal that can replicate a high end gainy tube amp.

Cleans should be used for cleans, and the dirty channels should be used to dirty. When you feed distortion pedals through a clean channel, there's none of that dirty attitude.

emphatic +1, teddy.

most of the time when the pros use pedals, they're using it to boost an already dirty amp, they aren't using distortion pedals through a clean channel.

Plus if you play dirty 90% of the time, there's not much point in sacrificing your dirty tone for a clean tone you use 10% of the time...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Spanish... psh.

Anyhow, the problem with that is that pedals usually give you a pretty generic tone, whereas amp distortion is (to me) a lot more tonally flexible.
No Hablo Espanol. Yo soy muy stupido. There are amps that have good clean and distorted channels, and you can't rely on a pedal for distortion.
Originally Posted by sadistic_monkey
Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

My Gear:
Ibanez Rg320DX (81/85)
Alvarez Classic Electric
B-52 AT-100
Roland Cube 15
Marshall Avt Cab
Crate Blue Voodoo Cab (V30's)
yeah.. thats what i have done.. i have a vox ad30vt and i just got a boss mt2
great cleans and now great distortion as well..
yo
porque tube saturation >>> diode clipping. esta verdad. 'nuff said.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
The way to go, if you have the cash to throw, is to have one amp for cleans, one for OD, and an A/B/Y switch.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.