Whenever I turn on the distortion chanel on my amp, there is heaps of noise. Not the average distortion crackle or fuzz, it sounds like when you put your ear up to a seashell but alot louder. This happens even when I turn the gain on 1.

Does anyone know what is wrong with it? I really need to fix it because I'm planning on selling it. Should I just take it in to the local music shop?

I also need a new amp, and I want to spend about $1500AUD and bellow (though I may go up to about $2000AUD). I play mostly shred, 80's metal, glam rock, hair metal ect.

So far Im pretty keen on the Laney GH50L. Is this a good amp?

I am also looking at Carvin, Peavey, Marshall ect.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I would prefer it if the amp was 50w
Last edited by tombo32 at Jun 7, 2006,
If you're willing to dish out $2000 look at an ENGL Thunder as well, at least play one. Billhy Hyde should stock them.

I wouldn't bother with the Marshalls in that price range. I think a Peavey Valveking might be in your pricerange too, but again, i wouldn't bother with it, ENGL's are much better.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Quote by TGM
If you're willing to dish out $2000 look at an ENGL Thunder as well, at least play one. Billhy Hyde should stock them.

I wouldn't bother with the Marshalls in that price range. I think a Peavey Valveking might be in your pricerange too, but again, i wouldn't bother with it, ENGL's are much better.

I'll proabably head into Billy Hyde's in a couple of weeks. How many watts is the ENGL?
What is the amp type you have now? Tube? DSP? More info please.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by tombo32
I'll proabably head into Billy Hyde's in a couple of weeks. How many watts is the ENGL?

The thunder is 50 watts of tube will be enough most gigs...
But if you could stretch your budget a bit I'd say go for the ENGL screamer combo
Its overall better
Quote by Iliketapping
The thunder is 50 watts of tube will be enough most gigs...
But if you could stretch your budget a bit I'd say go for the ENGL screamer combo
Its overall better

How much is that?

And also, does anyone know if the Carvin Legacy is good?