Howdy. My acoustic has been weird lately (month or so)

I guess I never realized it, but the action on the thing was really high! So I shaved down the saddle to give it lower action but it was still higher than comfort and what was recommeded on a lot of sites.

Well the old saddle was really barely above the bridge so I got a new saddle and I started to fit it in and it seems like unless I have it really BARELY above the bridge like the old saddle, the action is ridiculously high. Right now, the saddle is at what the reference sites are telling me about normal height, but the action is 1/4 inch off the fretboard at the 12th fret.

I checked my neck angle by putting a yardstick from the first fret to the bridge and it landed a little below the top of the bridge. So the neck angle is messed up and is probably what's causing the problem but it's really barely below. I don't think it should be making 1/4 inch differnece...

I'm looking for solutions/remedies to my action problem. Oh and neck resets are kinda out of the question. It would cost more to do that than the cost of the actual guitar... it's a beater guitar but I'd like it to be playable.

Thanks for any help
Hi!

Sig Retired.
is it possible that the neck has warped since?

i think its fuct, i say the only thing is to lowe the saddle, if theres not fret buzz and it works, then why not? other then that i dont see how else you can save it,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Apart from a truss rod adjustment(may not work, hard to tell without seeing it in person) it sounds like a candidate for a neck reset.
obviously the easiest thing to say is a neck reset but since thats out of the question, you could always try removing the actual bridge, shaving it down, and putting it back on...i dont reccomend doing it yourself though. best thing to do is take it to a tech
"insert witty somewhat racial, innapropriate, degrading comment here"
adjust the neck.
and look at the nut.

hold the low E at the first fret. at the same time,
hold the Low E at the 17th, where the neck meets the body.

look at the middle frets, 7-8th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit cards width up from the fretwire there, too much gap.

measure and repost. mostly likely itll be a bit too high.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You either need the neck reset or the truss rod adjustment (as you already know) and there really isn't any way around it. I guess you could try putting on some jumbo frets. Does your guitar have a set neck or a bolt on neck? If it's a bolt on I could tell you how to do your own neck reset. All you would need is the right size wrench and some 120 grit sand paper.
Not taking any online orders.
Since its a cheapo acoustic, Im guessing it doesnt have a truss rod and a set neck, or at least bolts on inside the body, so resetting the neck would be a pain in the ass and if theres no truss rod that you can get to adjusting the truss rod would also suck. My suggestion is to try to refile the nut or shave it down as well as the bridge. If the neck is warped, which may be the case, then do a concert and at the end of the show, smash it....lol

And as for what Evan50150 said about taking it to a tech, sure that would be easier but this is the forum for telling you how to do it yourself. Not to tell you to take it and pay someone to do it for you.
Quote by jj1565
adjust the neck.
and look at the nut.

hold the low E at the first fret. at the same time,
hold the Low E at the 17th, where the neck meets the body.

look at the middle frets, 7-8th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit cards width up from the fretwire there, too much gap.

measure and repost. mostly likely itll be a bit too high.

Just measured and it seems to be right. They aren't touching the frets and I can't slip a credit card through it without it squeezing in and touching the fret and the string. I already loosened the truss rod with about about a 2/5 turn yesterday.

Quote by CorduroyEW
You either need the neck reset or the truss rod adjustment (as you already know) and there really isn't any way around it. I guess you could try putting on some jumbo frets. Does your guitar have a set neck or a bolt on neck? If it's a bolt on I could tell you how to do your own neck reset. All you would need is the right size wrench and some 120 grit sand paper.

Quote by ClaptonRules
Since its a cheapo acoustic, Im guessing it doesnt have a truss rod and a set neck, or at least bolts on inside the body, so resetting the neck would be a pain in the ass and if theres no truss rod that you can get to adjusting the truss rod would also suck. My suggestion is to try to refile the nut or shave it down as well as the bridge. If the neck is warped, which may be the case, then do a concert and at the end of the show, smash it....lol

Actually it's a set neck and has a truss rod (do they still make guitars with no truss rods?). I wish it were bolt on so i could reset it myself... .

Quote by ark
is it possible that the neck has warped since?

i think its fuct, i say the only thing is to lowe the saddle, if theres not fret buzz and it works, then why not? other then that i dont see how else you can save it,

This is what I'm leaning towards if theres no solution besides a neck reset. How did my neck angle get so messed up anyway? I take good care of it and I've only had it for about 2 1/2 years now. It's a Takamine G-240 if that matters.

I'm thinkning of shaving the bridge down so I can shave the saddle down more to give it better action.

I tried to take some pictures but I can't seem to get the camera focused when it's close up so I found this from frets.com to give a better visual rep.

That's about how low my saddle was and still the action was too high. By shaving the bridge some, it should allow me to shave the saddle more. And to make up for the lost string break angle, I could cut small grooves in the bridge between the pinhole and the saddle.

I see this as a good remedy to fix the action problem and make it playable, though my neck angle will still be messed up... Any comments, tips, ideas, "DON'T DO THAT!"s are all appreciated.

Thanks for the help so far
Hi!

Sig Retired.
look at the nut lb. are the cuts high? how high is it from the first fret area.

and also measure the neck angle at the high e. see if its consistent with the low E.
if u get a different reading thats bad.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i was calling u LB cause i felt a bond for a minute there. but its passed now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ah I feel stupid. Checked the nut and it's fine.

Does anyone forsee any problems with the shave the bridge down idea?
Hi!

Sig Retired.
^It will, but the intonation can be fixed when he adds the new nut. Sadly, the overall change in tone can't be helped.

Have you checked to takaminie to see if they will fix the guitar. Tak has a lifetime limeted waranty and needing a neck reset in less than 10 years is a defect. It could be that there was a defect in the materials and the problem wasn't actualy taks fault or it could be that the neck joint wasn't doen properly and it is taks fault. Either way it should be covered under the waranty but that will be void if you shave wood off the bridge. So check with takamine 1st. Tell them you talked to a luthier about fixing it and the luthier said that it sounds like its defective. If they tell you they won't fix it for you then let me know and I'll call takamine and see what I can do. Sometimes it means more when somebody that is "in the biz" does the talking.
Not taking any online orders.
ddamn dude I appreciate people like you in this forum so much. Thanks. I'll see what I can do and update
Hi!

Sig Retired.