In your opinion would Clapton be more or less celebrated today if The Band had accepted his request to join?
maybe a bit more. the band was very well known for the great musicianship and the backing band for dylan. clapton would have just one more great band on his biography. i think they could have made great songs together
Fender Classic Series '50s Telecaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Maybe a little more. He did play an awseome song with them on the Last Waltz. I can't think of the name though. Any help?
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
the song was further on the road, but it was a song of clapton.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
Thanks
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
I think that Clapton would, if anything, be more celebrated today had The Band accepted his request for him to join them, but despite the fact he was rejected, he is still highly celebrated by musicians, especially guitarists, everywhere.

I think that had Clapton joined The Band their direction would probably have turned to a more deeply blues based sound because we had always known Clapton as a blues player in bands such as Cream, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominos, and even in his solo career. Blind Faith, Clapton's "least-blues" band even had some more bluesy songs.

I'm not saying that The Band didn't have any blues songs, but more that they could play anything - blues, country-rock, folk-rock, etc.
you're right about that. it would be more blues orientated than before. although, i think they would have made good songs together
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mi Audio Crunch Box
i agree for the most part, but I got thinking about what kind of role Clapton would play, it's hard to see, as a lead player, how he would fit in with The Band's simplistic style. I'm tempted to say that if he'd played in The Band he would have found himself quite restricted.
this is a really good topic, and it's a question that i can't answer-i guess that when i think of the band i think folk rock, clapton wasn't folk rock i guess?
Cream fan club member #11.
Quote by fadingboy
i agree for the most part, but I got thinking about what kind of role Clapton would play, it's hard to see, as a lead player, how he would fit in with The Band's simplistic style. I'm tempted to say that if he'd played in The Band he would have found himself quite restricted.

Absolutely.
Quote by rayIII
am I the only one who hasn't heard a single song by The Band?

Erm...I'm assuming you're the only one in this thread. You should check them out, very talented, well worth it.
Quote by rayIII
am I the only one who hasn't heard a single song by The Band?

Like fadingboy said, you're probably the only one in this thread - maybe even this forum.

However, I know people who haven't heard them or heard of them.

For example...

Friend - Who are you listening to?

Me - The Band.

Friend - What band?

Then I generally kick their ass.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I think that Clapton would, if anything, be more celebrated today had The Band accepted his request for him to join them, but despite the fact he was rejected, he is still highly celebrated by musicians, especially guitarists, everywhere.

I think that had Clapton joined The Band their direction would probably have turned to a more deeply blues based sound because we had always known Clapton as a blues player in bands such as Cream, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominos, and even in his solo career. Blind Faith, Clapton's "least-blues" band even had some more bluesy songs.

I'm not saying that The Band didn't have any blues songs, but more that they could play anything - blues, country-rock, folk-rock, etc.

amen. spot on like always
The Allman Brothers Band > Masturbation FanClub - PM me to join.

member of The Yes Club - PM Me or distilledspirit to join.

Grateful Dead Club - PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Ten Years After Club - PM Me or VR05 to join.
clapton really wasn't a fit if you look at what the band was traditionally. he would've brought another dimension to their style. but as for the original question, would clapton have been more celebrated, i think not. look at his career. he stood out no matter what group of musicians were around him. (that is, until duane allman came in on the derek and the dominoes sessions.) even with cream, i think they were the best match for him, but he just took over.
Quote by -AliceCooper
guitar pick to the eye?

Yeah, I take out one of my Dunlop Jazz III's and take their eyes out. I then proceed by kneeing them in the crotch and as they buckle over roundhouse them to the temple.

Sometimes they die, but I've got plenty of friends anyways, so one loss doesn't really effect me.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Yeah, I take out one of my Dunlop Jazz III's and take their eyes out. I then proceed by kneeing them in the crotch and as they buckle over roundhouse them to the temple.

Sometimes they die, but I've got plenty of friends anyways, so one loss doesn't really effect me.

You should slap them with a copy of The Last Waltz just before they keel over so that their last moment of life is spent appreciating The Band.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Like fadingboy said, you're probably the only one in this thread - maybe even this forum.

However, I know people who haven't heard them or heard of them.

For example...

Friend - Who are you listening to?

Me - The Band.

Friend - What band?

Then I generally kick their ass.

what's some stuff a newb to the band could check out?
^^I'll spare you.

Some albums by The Band I really enjoy are Before the Flood (recorded live with Bob Dylan) and Music from Big Pink.

Those should be a couple to get you started. Before the Flood is a double-disc set, and it's very enjoyable, containing songs that are both well-known Dylan songs and well-known The Band songs (that sounded sort of weird).

Music from Big Pink was The Band's debut album and contained the well-known song, "The Weight".

If you get the chance to pick up these albums, then go with The Band (that's the name of the album). Quite a few of the sons from it are also on Before the Flood (which also contains a couple of songs from Music from Big Pink).