I have been looking around for a new amp for a while now. I've actually been set on the Traynor YCV50Blue. However somehting caught my eye at the music store. It was a JCM 900 4100 Head for 650.00 CAD. I'm assuming this is probably a reissue, but would this head be worth me considering. I'd really prefer to have a combo, and getting a combo off eBay is not something I want to do, because I have to settle with the amp before ever trying it. What do you guys think?
thats like 500 USD? dude that's a killer deal!
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Maybe I'll check it out on the weekend. I'm just curious is this actually a good amp? Does anyone own this specific model? I play a lot of modern rock/pop punk stuff but I also play some blues and jazz.
Last edited by take_it_t at Jun 8, 2006,
thats a killer deal

pros:
PERFECT<------YES PERFECT tone, for the punk/rock you do
name brand bragging rights (you can show it off)
stacks look cool

cons:
its gotta be really loud to get the perfect tone(get an attenuator)
it cant do the jazz very well.
its a bitch to carry around
Try it when you next go the the shop again.

Do you have a cab at home or will you buy one? 'coz you should work out the cost of the head+cab, compared to the cost of the combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The JCM 900 is most likely original, not reissue. The line was introduced in 1990 and as far as I know, when they stopped making them in the mid-late 90s, that was it. They didn't make any more of them. So it's used and original IMO.

And yeah, that's a decent price. That's what the better priced local shops carry them for. I almost bought a used 50W JCM900 half stack (head + 1960B cab) for $999 Cdn a couple of years ago, and I thought that was a good price for the set.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I'll give it a try but if I find that the tone is not super amazing then I'll just go with the Traynor combo. Would I be able to get or build a good 2x12 cabinet for 200 bucks. I really don't want a 4x12 cause I do have to move this thing around every week. I'd rather have 2 2x12 cabinets if I were to ever need that extra volume which I doubt.
Quote by Crunchmeister
The JCM 900 is most likely original, not reissue. The line was introduced in 1990 and as far as I know, when they stopped making them in the mid-late 90s, that was it.

Nope there are jcm900 reissues christian olde wolbers of fear factory used one for a while

Jcm 900 reissue
i played on a JMC900 a couple days ago and its omg sound! im trading in my half-stack for it, and its only $650. its jsut a 2x12 combo but sounds brilliant! I play pop punk (old Blink, old AFI, Alkaline Trio) and then i ATTEMPT to play blues (SRV, Clapton), granted the blues isnt too good for me bc im not that good (2yrs playing). This amp rox thougha nd if u can find the combo then i would buy it if i were you
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Anyone have any sound clips, not songs of bands which recorded with this amp but just recordings that someone on UG did using the amp.
Quote by Gutch220
Gabel just bought one.

Nope i dont have a 4100, i haev a 4500 (50 watt version) but its great. Check my: Games new spam thread for more info.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Sora 01
Nope there are jcm900 reissues christian olde wolbers of fear factory used one for a while

Jcm 900 reissue

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Gabel
Nope i dont have a 4100, i haev a 4500 (50 watt version) but its great. Check my: Games new spam thread for more info.

Potato potato, tomato tomato

*that doesn't work with typing
Well I was at the store today, and it looks like the head was sold. Doesn't surprise me, and I really wanted a combo.