Right now I have a ****ty G-400, I've gotten to the point where I can't stand the tone and I'm getting a new guitar. First of all im going to put in a DiMarzio super distortion at the bridge and a Pif pro in the neck in which ever one i get. I'm either gonna get a vintage fender stratocaster and put in a floyd rose, or a vintage '61 reissue SG. I play classic rock and classic metal.

thanks mates,

fender strat SSS configuration?

i wouldnt screw up a vintage fender by routing out for humbuckers and a floyd.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
First of all, putting floyd roses in guitars are stupid. It costs just asmuch as the ****ing guitar does, and it ****s up the tone of the guitar coz theres a big hole cut in the wood. If your going to do that, you may aswell buy the Fender Fat Strat that comes standard with a Floyd Rose. Floyd Rose's are great, But putting them into a guitar which didnt come with them is a waste of money. And strats beat SG's by a hell of alot. Better looking, better sounding, better everything. Fat strats though. And the PAF Pro is very muddy on the lower notes, just a warning.
MY GEAR!:
Ibanez GSA60
Squier Stratocaster (Special Edition Black & Chrome)
Peavey 112 Bandit
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Dime CryBaby From Hell
Behringer UM-100 Ultra Metal Pedal
Nashville Acoustic
Don't get the '61 Reissue SG if you're just going to change out the pickups. A majority of the price difference is because the '61 has the Classic '57's. Just get a standard, then change the pickups. Or learn to love those Classic '57's. Also, why do you want these vintage guitars if you're just going to have to tear them down. The whole point of these guitars is that they are made to have the sound of the era they were designed. A vintage strat is nothing to fool around with either.

These are quite nice guitars, and if you want one of them then by all means go ahead. But if the money is available, I would just get an SG standard, or an MIM or MIA Standard Strat, then do the mods to that. Don't start with a vintage.
thanks for clean this stuff up, and basically the stuff at the top was what my friend was tellin me i should do. This was just for a second opinion. Now i have more proof behind my opinon which was the exact same as u guys'.

thanks again

Why the hell would you want to pay more for something just because the company says it's "vintage"?
They are two WAYYYY different animals. You have to have a preference of one feel and tone over the other. Its not apples to apples you are comparing here.
I've had both over the past year. Like I said the Gibson has a neck like a baseball bat and the Fender is very different...more comfortable.
G400s are pretty awesome, i can see how you could hate them.
It's pretty obvious you don't want something like the SG or strat by your specs... Look for something else. But if you must, get an SG Standard and switch the buckers, no point paying all that money just to take all the SG out of your SG. Or better yet, just do a pup switch on your current SG.
You dare buy a vintage fender strat and route it for buckers and fit a floyd rose I will send my secret underground army of horny midgets after you. It'll loose all it's value, look horrible and the tone would deteriorate.
wow, first of all to the guy who finds strats occward, it is all basically opinion and what ur used too. Your clearly a dumb kid cus the way most guitars feel are based off a strats and Gibsons anyways. I think SGs are occward so.... also ACDC5150 you said I suggested you to do thats ****? I have no idea wtf you talking about cus I never told you to do any of that. BTW if you wondering ( I am the guy he was talking about that he says i told him to do that stuff). I am modding a strat that I am getting and he seems to want to copy everything I want to do but without thinking (he wants ot mod a vintage strat). He wants all the same pickups that I want. and Mike vintage means pre 1980 pretty much so an 80s sg isnt vintage its used. Dont be saying that I told you to do that crap I didnt even know you want to get a vintage strat and mod it. also PAF Pro is better in the neck for shredding mainly, so even if it is muddy on the lower notes it doesnt matter. Its a swicked pickup.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Last edited by Devon8822 at Jun 7, 2006,
Get an SG, theyre awesome beasts. I have a new one, and they beat the vintage ones by miles IMO, I prefere them over the Strats, though there good also.

But Id say, go try one, see which you prefere, everyone has different opinions.

But please, dont put a Floyd Rose on anything...

But I find the SG playable, the necks fine, but I find it can be hard to get up high on the neck on a Strat sometimes
I am a friend of the thread starter and he blamed me for his dumb choices in guitars..... read it again, cus its pretty clear to understand if you have a brain.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
devon, just stop. nobody knew he was talking about u. this isnt a chat service. if u have something to say to him then call him.

the question is answered and thread is over.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

sure, I just bothered me that he says "and basically the stuff at the top was what my friend was tellin me i should do" to cover his ass up when people said his choices where bad.
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
yeah, i can see that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Wow, following this thread has led me to one conclusion, that there are THREE chicks in the world who actually know their stuff about guitars, and I can't get with any of 'em!
Quote by Devon8822
I am a friend of the thread starter and he blamed me for his dumb choices in guitars..... read it again, cus its pretty clear to understand if you have a brain.

You know. Hitting return every now and then and typing in full does wonders for your clarity. Instead of a big ol' paragraph of crap about your grudge with boyfriend here.
SG... if uve got the $
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"