Hey ive been playing seriously for almost a year now and have made a lot of progress in that time. I can play most anything but i have never used a pick. Everything i play i have used my fingers or just used my thumb. I was wondering if there were any disadvantages to that and if i should start trying to adapt to using a pick. Thanks
not sure how you can do a pinch harmonic....
*Two Things To Remember*
1.) You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter

2.) A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer
It wouldn't hurt to learn how to use a pick. I don't guess it would be an absolute necessity, although some songs are exponentially easier to play with a pick. It gives a completely different sound than your fingers as well.
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
You get more volume with a pick and creates a percussive scraping noise as opposed to the softer noise of thumb strummin' plus you can whip out into acoustic solos easier with a pick.
"His clothes are dirty, but his hands are clean" - Lay Lady Lay
Whaaaaat... you should be able to pick AND fingerpick competently. Get workin' on that pickin', son!
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by KIMB

pinch harmonics aren't all that common on acoustic anyway as they don't really scream out like they do on electric... but i guess that's just my opinion?

Quote by Dreadnought
Whaaaaat... you should be able to pick AND fingerpick competently. Get workin' on that pickin', son!

and yeah i agree with dread
Quote by KIMB

Its not too hard but it doesnt give the same effect.
I think that itd be extremley odd to not be able to play with a pick....

do you mean to tell me that you just fingerpick or do you actually strum with your findernails or fingertips instead of a pick?
Alot of more rock and roll acoustic songs (lots of zeppelin, stones, etc) are picked.
Learn to pick. If you want to play a fast run (stacatto picked) it's going to be much easier than using your fingers because alternate picking will increase the speed at which the notes come.
Quote by chipsahoy
You don't like the smell of some other guy's poop? Hmmm...smells like home to me.
yea depends how far u wanna go with playing
if ur thinking jst leisure.. picking aint that necessary (for most things)
but if ur serious.. picking is like more than important
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
You might as well learn to use a pick, I use a pick about one third of the time I play acoustic (live).
Quote by KIMB

actually u can do pinch harmonic with acoustic... pick with ur thumb and use ur index finger to touch the string...index finger parrallel with the string
I've been playing the guitar for quite some time now, both electric and accoustic. I'm a big Dire Straits fan so I very rarely use a pick (apart from strumming and picking on a 12-string).

You don't necessarily need to use a pick for really fast fingerwork, but a pick does make things far easier. The principle is the same for both, just practice and a good anchor (normally the pinky).

But pinched harmonics are still a challenge to me and always will be I think. The key is to just touch the string just as you pick it. Both your finger and the pick (or finger as well, if you're finger picking) should leave the string at exactly the same time. The more accurate your timing is the better the note will sound.

And that's difficult - at least for me anyway.

Stick at it.
Last edited by W_Michael84 at Jun 13, 2006,
Learn everything you can, it's all worth learning, the more you know, the more versatility you have!
Member #4 of the punctuation police, pm alex_haeni to join.
Quote by W_Michael84

You don't necessarily need to use a pick for really fast fingerwork, but a pick does make things far easier. The principle is the same for both, just practice and a good anchor (normally the pinky).

If you anchor at all, with your pinky or not, you cut your speed down dramatically. Once you anchor you lose an amazing amount of range of motion as well. Try strumming all 6 strings without an anchor, and then try with an anchor. It's possible to do it, but it's hard to do, and you lose most of your speed. Granted, it is easier to find the strings with an anchor, but you become slower and limited in exchange. It's easier to learn with an anchor, but it's much better to play without one.
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
I play strictly with my fingernails... I can strum with a pick, but when it comes to picking individual strings with a pick, im a mess.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
If you're just going to do acoustic, than it's fine for the most part. But if you also want to play electric, I'd definately start using a pick too.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
its best to use both so your playing has more variety. you shouldn't be limited to only certain pieces because others use some method you don't.
Quote by T.S.R.
what?
if i were a midget...id go masturbate in public because...hey, im a midget and i can get away with anything

Quote by yawn
I heard Hitler was a pretty good guitarist back in his day...

Quote by guitar?
You're a towel.
if it's a classical guitar, then it's better to play with your fingers. If it's a steel string acoustic, then it's better to use a pick.