Page 1 of 2
I see so many people wanting the FR or what not... but it's hardly ever used.

When I started playing guitar at 7, I itched for a floyed rose. Finally when I was 15 I saved up enough cash to buy my dream guitar....(at the time) and used the FR maybe 12 times.... I still have this guitar and love playing it. But FR is something I now avoid when making new purchases in guitars.

FR are over-rated!

Thoughts?
just coz u do0nt use it doesnt mean no1 else does. Maybe u could consider this a technique uve never thought to use before?
I use my trem all the time. Not a floyd rose just a standard Fender trem. And I play mainly blues, classic rock and a bit of metal. I use it in EVERYTHING even jazz, I don't overuse it but it can be used in so many ways, not just for divebombing. You can get a screaming blues vibrato out of it. I used to miss a trem if I played a guitar without one, but I'm used to it now. Its a tool which just adds another branch to your playing. Some people use them some dont.
It's not over rated, I just feel that some people are looking at the 80's when everyone had one and they're like "I need one !" but finally they dont use it. Personnally I don't have a FR on my Ibanez JS (custom prototype) but i'd like to have, to tryo to do some dive bombs, or stuff like Vai. It's just fun to have one but quite long when you wanna change the strings and do adjustements...
The wammy bar requires technique? Alrighty then!

I play metal from Pantera thru Mudvayne... but I don't do covers... it's my style, but I add a bluesy feel to my shred / leads.

I liked the FR for staying in tune... But my string thru's and LP's do just as good and I don't have to tear the back plate off to drop tune them.

Again: Floating Trems are overrated.
Tell that to Vai or Satch. I agree that many times it's an unnecessary luxury, kids buy it, pay a truckload more of money for it and never really use it as much as they should (or better said, thought they would). I don't really have it as a must-have in future buys, at all... I wouldn't mind having one, but still. It's a nice toy to have, it's pretty cool to implement in a song. It's not the kind of thing that's overrated; you wether like/need it or not.

And btw, Chazzy, you did own me in that other thread. Kudos and sorry for the bitching.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Last edited by jmag at Jun 7, 2006,
wow, so u have an opinion. who cares.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
FFS! You people are a disgrace (well....some of you). Who on earth would ever say they are overrated, because you can't. I can't stress enough how it has nothing to do with anything except personal opinion, and my personal opinion is that a mod should close this thread and ban whoever made it, because this just starts unnecessary and stupid arguments that dont MEAN ANYTHING.

(p.s: I love FRs and have one, and Satch is cool)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by jj1565
wow, so u have an opinion. who cares.

Obviously you do. You took the time to post a nonsense statement about not caring in a thread that you implied that you don't care about.

What was the point in that?

I care, which is why I quoted you and took some time out of my busy day to ask you why would you bother taking time out of your busy day to post something you don't care about... see how this works?
Quote by Chazzy29
Obviously you do. You took the time to post a nonsense statement about not caring in a thread that you implied that you don't care about.

What was the point in that?

I care, which is why I quoted you and took some time out of my busy day to ask you why would you bother taking time out of your busy day to post something you don't care about... see how this works?

no i dont see how this bloody works. Just P|ss off and leave people and their (cool) Floyd Roses alone. Why would anyone do this? Because they're a TROLL!!!!

AAAAAAAHAAHAHAHAH! GRRRRRRRR! GO AWAY!

--
Quote by J.MitMetallica
no i dont see how this bloody works. Just P|ss off and leave people and their (cool) Floyd Roses alone. Why would anyone do this? Because they're a TROLL!!!!

AAAAAAAHAAHAHAHAH! GRRRRRRRR! GO AWAY!

anger management.
opinions. dont **** with them
Quote by J.MitMetallica
FFS! You people are a disgrace (well....some of you). Who on earth would ever say they are overrated, because you can't. I can't stress enough how it has nothing to do with anything except personal opinion, and my personal opinion is that a mod should close this thread and ban whoever made it, because this just starts unnecessary and stupid arguments that dont MEAN ANYTHING.

(p.s: I love FRs and have one, and Satch is cool)

How many guitars do you usually bring to a show?

Do you like playing Godsmack, Metallica, Rob Zombie, Pantera, Korn at gigs?

five different bands and five different tuning methods. See where I'm going with this slick?

Maybe you don't gig? Therefore a FR would work great for the single tuning method of all the Metallica you do...
if i dont point out to you that statement threads arent permitted, then ull just fill up the whole section with ur opinion.
ull waste everyones time telling guys that u dont like floyds or guitar straps because they chafe, and ill have to flip past even more of ur drivel.

how about u dont buy any more floyd guitars, and let other people do what they want too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Regarding FR remember two things:

1) Only get a FR if you really need it for your music and you know what your getting yourself into in terms of restringing and ajusting intonation and stuff. If you just like the whammy bar as a gimmick then a FR is not worth the money or effort.

2) If your gonna get a FR get a good one, not a crappy licenced one.
Excuuuuse me. I do like to play Metallica, Joe Satriani, Eric Clapton, Steve Vai (hmm...), Eric Johnson, Pat Metheney and Paul Gilbert (just about). I take two guitars to a show, never play in drop tuning and don't favour any kind of different tuning methods. And, I don't like Korn Pantera or Rob Zombie, but Godsmack are ok, just not that interesting to play.

So go and irritate someone else, or come up with a decent post that doesn't involve everyone having to tell you to fVck off at every opportunity, please.
--
You know the quote "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"? That's what's happening here. This is a thread, like many others, in which the threadstarter posted an opinion of his own and asked for thoughts on it. My opinion differs from his; I posted it in a civilized manner, though. I had even had a little fret with the threadstarter, but that didn't affect my post in anything. I just come to realize, day by day, that the majority of Ugers simply can't be polite, mature and civilized.
The thread didn't start any arguments. Stupid people did.
Quote by primusfan

How is something over-rated if the sound it created cannot be created otherwise?

This is so stupid.

Acoustic guitars are over-rated, because i have one and dont use it.

My FX loop is overrated, because i have one and dont use it.

Seriously, you make no sence, at all.
I would agree with you, and anyone who has seen my other posts on UG will know I am not an aggressive poster. But how can you say the threadstarter didn't stir things up with things like : "Again: FRs are overrated". That is just designed to aggrevate people, so don't do it. Jmag, I haven't encountered you on another thread yet, but don't assume that I am like this.
The threadstarter did not 'ask for opinions; as innocently as that, he stated something, and left a war to brew. I'm sorry thats just the way I feel, and if this post can get me angry, I'm sure other people will be annoyed by it too. [shrugs]
--
Quote by J.MitMetallica
I would agree with you, and anyone who has seen my other posts on UG will know I am not an aggressive poster. But how can you say the threadstarter didn't stir things up with things like : "Again: FRs are overrated". That is just designed to aggrevate people, so don't do it. Jmag, I haven't encountered you on another thread yet, but don't assume that I am like this.
The threadstarter did not 'ask for opinions; as innocently as that, he stated something, and left a war to brew. I'm sorry thats just the way I feel, and if this post can get me angry, I'm sure other people will be annoyed by it too. [shrugs]

I get your point. However, I don't think FRs are overrated at all, and I didn't stress out - there's no need to. Maybe he did want to stir things up: if you think he did, despise him and walk away from the thread, 'cause that's an idiotic attitude to have. If don't think so, just comment away.
I didn't mean to criticize you or anyone else in particular with the post I made, I just think internet arguments are pointless and unnecessary. I understand that you got a bit stressed out, things like that happened to me before. I don't assume anything, dude... As far as I'm concerned, you're a cool guy, for at least having responded to my post politely.
Quote by primusfan

^^ Hey you know what, you're right, I'll just leave (and add you to my buddy list ) And well done for being so diplomatic

--
Quote by J.MitMetallica

So go and irritate someone else, or come up with a decent post that doesn't involve everyone having to tell you to fVck off at every opportunity, please.

*go* irritated someone else. Pssssst.... you are posting in a thread that I made, so wouldn't it be true that you *come* to irritate me?

Go:

a. To extend between two points or in a certain direction; run
b. To give entry; lead

Come:

a. To advance toward the speaker or toward a specified place; approach: Come to me.
b. To advance in a specified manner

Now run along slick.
Quote by jj1565
if i dont point out to you that statement threads arent permitted, then ull just fill up the whole section with ur opinion.

VS
Quote by Chazzy29
Thoughts?

Thanks for your concern and have a nice day! =)
Quote by Chazzy29

five different bands and five different tuning methods. See where I'm going with this slick?

Maybe you don't gig? Therefore a FR would work great for the single tuning method of all the Metallica you do...

Are you actually criticizing him for using a single tuning?
^^^ not at all. I was *asking* how he does it. I forget that very few people are versatile and use different tuning methods.

Everything he plays is single tuning... Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson... are those popular in local clubs in other areas? Because that stuff would put people to sleep where I'm at. (I mean it's fun to play, but not much of a crowd pleaser)
While I can't be arsed to read through all these posts I gathered you don't like Floyd roses. one word: TREMOL-NO
Quote by Chazzy29
^^^ not at all. I was *asking* how he does it. I forget that very few people are versatile and use different tuning methods.

Everything he plays is single tuning... Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson... are those popular in local clubs in other areas? Because that stuff would put people to sleep where I'm at. (I mean it's fun to play, but not much of a crowd pleaser)

Do you have to play in multiple tunings to be versatile? And what do you think musician's priorities should be, having fun playing things you love or pleasing a crowd, or anyone else?
And it was understood in your post an irony as for the tunings subject, don't deny it, because you won't fool anyone.
Quote by primusfan

wow i just wasted my time reading this thread so I could listen to your sensless arguing...if you dont like it dont buy it, if your a caveman and cant understand the concept of using it dont buy it.
Playing more paintball and reading more books than playing guitar lately.
It all depends on what you want to play, Vai uses it alot, as does other shredders and metal stuff. Also, I think that you might want to buy a guitar with one for the looks, because I know I really like the look of them, they are so beefy and intricate, much less boring than a simple fixed tremolo.

It doesnt really matter if you dont use it alot, so stop fretting so much.

Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
I prefer floating tremelos just because i lie the feel of it more than a floyd. And witha nutand tuner change your fine tuning wise.
Quote by Chazzy29

I know I said I would go, but any personal-ish attack on me, well......

OH..................MY.....................GOD...................BOY.
Whatafreak. Vai [hmm...] and Satriani put people to sleep? Where do you live? Mars? Where people have eight arms and can play four guitars at once? Hmm...if they'd put people to sleep, then how 'bout telling us who wouldn't eh?

(ps: to all rational people, sorry this is a resurrection of quite an old post of his, but i nwas at the park )
--
How was your day at the park?

Anyway, floyd roses are NOT overrated, certainly not because YOU don't favour them. They're one of the most stable trems out there, and that's saying more than enough.

btw j.mitmellica: gimme those soundclips!
Quote by Revhain
How was your day at the park?

Anyway, floyd roses are NOT overrated, certainly not because YOU don't favour them. They're one of the most stable trems out there, and that's saying more than enough.

btw j.mitmellica: gimme those soundclips!

methinks somonejust got added to someone elses buddy list. And, about the sound clips, the thing is, my parents weren't in when the stuff was delilvered sooo[/b[ we went to get it formt he post officy thing, and found out that it was only the pedal . But that is good, I might do some clips of that but what I really want is the amp, please be patient, its s shame that its soo popular, aint it? I will give you the link IMMEDIATELY I get it, btw do you want clips of the pedal?

--
yeah sure, I need to decide on which wah to get anyway, at least I'd know how that particular wah sounds through that particular amp

back to topic though, don't want to get warned :x

Tremol-no+OFR/Edge Pro=problem solved, and a godly combo
I don't like it, but I wouldn't mind having it (without the bar) so the tuning is better.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Quote by TheFluffy
How is something over-rated if the sound it created cannot be created otherwise?

This is so stupid.

Acoustic guitars are over-rated, because i have one and dont use it.

My FX loop is overrated, because i have one and dont use it.

Seriously, you make no sence, at all.

I'm going to report you for trolling, frankly because that's all you've been doing here. Nice one, slick!
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by JunctionP
wow i just wasted my time reading this thread so I could listen to your sensless arguing...if you dont like it dont buy it, if your a caveman and cant understand the concept of using it dont buy it.

Isnt he a caveman???

Quote by Chazzy29

You gig?..... Gig on Ultimate-guitar.com for sure....

lol you crack me up......just.....LOL.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Page 1 of 2